Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Will scottish students ever have to pay for uni?

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Hi, just wandering with all the scottish independence debates at the moment whether higher education will remain free, while most welsh and english students pay £9,000 p.a!
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lima1)
    Hi, just wandering with all the scottish independence debates at the moment whether higher education will remain free, while most welsh and english students pay £9,000 p.a!
    So what?

The Scottish govt. are in control of their own budget. They can spend on whatever they want. If they decided to allow free uni for every Scottish student- so be it.

There is nothing discriminatory. If you have problem as to why English, N.Irish students have to pay- you take it to David Cameron.

Btw, I am an English student and I am sick and tired of hearing anal ****e about this whole process, comparisons between Scotland and everyone else. Get over it. If you don't like it, you know what to do otherwise put up and shut up.

Talk about the Little Englander with the chip on the shoulder!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lima1)
    Would depend, if independence is passed and Scotland stays part of the Euro then for the moment at least, english and welsh applicants would get free tuition in Scotland. On the other hand, it also depends on what forms of revenue we would own ie North sea oil fields. Without the neccessary revenues it's possible that free tuition fees could be abolished entirely.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    the snp have a policy that free education is a tradition....if they abolished it they would lose a big part of the youth vote for a long time, so as a tactical thing, i dont think it will happen.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I might be wrong but I think Welsh studies can study in Wales free.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I am aware of the current situation I was merely posing whether the situation would change if they gained independence. Also, we can thank Labour for loans and increasing tuition fees.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Sorry my computer froze that was in response the male melons.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    i hope so, why should scottish people get free university education? newflash, most of the uk is outside of scotland, so it is us that are paying for the scots to go to uni!
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    This depends on whether the Scottish taxpayer can afford to pay for the 22,000 British students who are studying in Scotland but aren't resident there as well as the 16,000 EU students who do so. At £9,000 each a year that will amount to £198 million etxra to find, or £40 per head of the Scottish population. It will probably be more than this as the British will be incentivised to study there more than they are now.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by s.a.u)
    i hope so, why should scottish people get free university education? newflash, most of the uk is outside of scotland, so it is us that are paying for the scots to go to uni!
    Exactly!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    But it is the Scottish government that have chosen to have free fees, the money has been taken from other areas. The UK as a whole could do the same and choose the have free fees and take the money from other areas. Scotland has made the right choice in free fees by allocating resources to a worthwhile area whereas the England, NI and Wales governments would rather allocate the money to immigrants and benefit money.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I think they will have to (at least i hope they do), I don't think solely Scottish taxpayers will be able to cover the cost of universities.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    They get it because the Scottish government chooses to spend a large (I'm pretty sure) amount of their money on it. The UK government gives them the funds and they choose to do what they want with it. Scotland is separate from the rest of the UK in many ways (own NHS etc) and I really don't understand why everyone always says they're "paying for Scots to do whatever", however Scots pay for England's stuff too. Sure, they don't have to pay to go to universities in Scotland, however many students choose to study in England so have to pay anyway..
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    This depends on whether the Scottish taxpayer can afford to pay for the 22,000 British students who are studying in Scotland but aren't resident there as well as the 16,000 EU students who do so. At £9,000 each a year that will amount to £198 million etxra to find, or £40 per head of the Scottish population. It will probably be more than this as the British will be incentivised to study there more than they are now.
    That would however depend on whether or not Scotland stays in the EU. If Scotland does stay in the EU free tuition fees is unlikely to be sustainable. However if Scotland does leave the EU, it could be sustainable.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tuckla07)
    I don't really know much about the whole situation, so this is just out of curiosity, no disputing your point, but doesn't the british government give loads of money to scotland? so how would that change if they got independance?
    The British Govt. doesn't really give a whole load of money to Scotland and ignore England, Wales and N.Ireland.

People make out that Scotland, Wales and N.Ireland are reliant on England and that is not the case.

Yes, the British Govt. does provide investment in Scotland. Why? In case people not noticed, but Britain (inc. England, Wales, and Scotland) together with N.Ireland form the UK. This govt led by David Cameron represents the UK.

Scotland should have the investment from this govt as it is part of Britain.Scotland can't be ignored.

Scotland has a budget (money raised from Scottish taxpayers, and the money the European/British govt) the Scottish govt. can decide what they want to do with their money.

If there is independence- their budget will from several sources like the Scottish taxpayers, the EU....
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roar558)
    That would however depend on whether or not Scotland stays in the EU. If Scotland does stay in the EU free tuition fees is unlikely to be sustainable. However if Scotland does leave the EU, it could be sustainable.
    If Scotland leaves both the UK and the EU the Scottish people will have bigger problems than trying to find an extra couple of hundred million. In any event, SNP policy involves staying in the EU (or at least applying for membership). Their platform is that Scotland will have more influence as an independent nation, which it certainly won't outside the EU and without a permanent seat on the UN Security Council.
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have never actually seen the data on this topic. People always say the Scottish trade off other parts of their budget for it but I am not convinced until I see the accounts.
    • 28 followers

ReputationRep:
    If they get independence I imagine a lot of things will chance including this.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SchoolOfRock)
    I think they will have to (at least i hope they do), I don't think solely Scottish taxpayers will be able to cover the cost of universities.

What makes you think that? Most other european countries have virtually fee free unis. It is a political decision (and perhaps pragmatic) that anglo-saxon countries choose make their university students pay for their education directly. Most other countries in the world fund it through general taxation.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    If Scotland leaves both the UK and the EU the Scottish people will have bigger problems than trying to find an extra couple of hundred million. In any event, SNP policy involves staying in the EU (or at least applying for membership). Their platform is that Scotland will have more influence as an independent nation, which it certainly won't outside the EU and without a permanent seat on the UN Security Council.

What you fail to consider is they feel that it should be easier to speakout for Scottish interests if they have a seat and a voice at the EU than Britain will do for 1/10th (6 of 60 million)of its constituents. As for the UN I am not sure the Scots aspire to impose their views upon others and we all know only the US, Russia and China have any real influence there.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: February 18, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.