The Student Room Group

Actuary with Engineering degree?

Hi

I am currently on a Masters Civil Engineering course at Loughborough, and i'm now halfway through my industrial placement year working for an international company in KL, Malaysia.

However i have come to realise that engineering may not be the right career for me. I love maths, and i just don't seem to use it all that much in my job. It is quite practical which is not where my best strengths lie.

I recently came across the idea of actuary, and i have researched quite a bit into it. It seems like my cup of tea. However i am unsure about how difficult it will be for me to enter this kind of profession once i graduate.

i have one more summer left whilst studying at university and am thinking about applying for summer internships in actuary (considering it would be very risky to jump straight into a graduate job without knowing what the job is like). What are my chances of picking one up with my kind of background?

Also, i have grown to love Asia and was wondering if anyone knew about the actuary business out here? Is there anyway a UK student could get an actuary graduate job in say Malaysia, Hong Kong or Singapore?

Any help would be great.
Reply 1
Original post by -macca-
Hi

I am currently on a Masters Civil Engineering course at Loughborough, and i'm now halfway through my industrial placement year working for an international company in KL, Malaysia.

However i have come to realise that engineering may not be the right career for me. I love maths, and i just don't seem to use it all that much in my job. It is quite practical which is not where my best strengths lie.

I recently came across the idea of actuary, and i have researched quite a bit into it. It seems like my cup of tea. However i am unsure about how difficult it will be for me to enter this kind of profession once i graduate.

i have one more summer left whilst studying at university and am thinking about applying for summer internships in actuary (considering it would be very risky to jump straight into a graduate job without knowing what the job is like). What are my chances of picking one up with my kind of background?

Also, i have grown to love Asia and was wondering if anyone knew about the actuary business out here? Is there anyway a UK student could get an actuary graduate job in say Malaysia, Hong Kong or Singapore?

Any help would be great.

A decent engineering degree is definitely good enough preparation mathematically speaking to enter the actuarial profession. If you want an internship this summer, you'll need to apply very quickly, a lot of companies have closed their applications already.
Reply 2
Original post by Mark13
A decent engineering degree is definitely good enough preparation mathematically speaking to enter the actuarial profession. If you want an internship this summer, you'll need to apply very quickly, a lot of companies have closed their applications already.

Cool, thanks.

No, i mean for next summer. I still have 2 years left of study so there is plenty of time.
Reply 3
If anything you sound like a great candidate - interesting life experience and a really decent qualification. I don't know a lot about Singapore/Malaysia/etc but even if you end up training back in the UK, the UK qualification is supposedly respected globally.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending