The Student Room Group

Occupational Therapy at UWE 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 320
Hi Footsteps

I'm currently working as a care assistant in mental health. I've wanted to be an OT for a while now. I did an access course a few years back which took me down a different path, but I've finally come back to OT :smile: How long have you wanted to do this?

I'm working Monday so can't join you all for lunch
Reply 321
Original post by debsnm
Hey Everyone!!!

Hope you're all enjoying the sunshine!!!!

I am going to be up in Bristol next Monday (will be looking at a flat). Just wondering if this might be a good time to meet up for lunch???? I was thinking about possibly meeting at a pub on Fishponds Road called, 'The Old Post Office'...<?> or 'The Post Office', can't remember...maybe around 1pm????....let me know.

Debs xx

Unfortunately I'm working so can't make it (it is my last week though so can't complain too much!) Hope you have a nice time.

Do people already have CRB forms? I've had nothing from UWE at all.

Looking forward to seeing you all soon!
Reply 322
Hey....
Well, I have to go tomorrow to look at the flat which means I won't be in Bristol on Monday as planned. Boo.
Anyway, I'll see you all soon enough. Really getting excited now!
Debs
x
Original post by debsnm
Hey Karen,
Good to hear that you found something. Where is it at???
I'm looking at a place in Staple Hill next week. Hope this works out as it has been a major drag dealing with realtors in Bristol!

Debs

Hi Debs You won't believe it ....I am living in an old nursery which was in a large portacabin, fully self contained with Kitchen, shower, walk in wardrobe complete with garden and grounds as I am a caretaker for an old empty 1950's primary school, fab location in Sea Mills (6 miles from Glenside) in very leafy green and relaxed area and costs me just £250 per month inc ALL BILLS. I am an old hippy at heart and do not mind alternative living if its cheap, I saw some scuzzy flats for £550 plus and thought NO WAY ! .....I agree letting agents in Bristol only want 100% full time professional workers under 30!! My place is quirky and fab....and yes I will be doing a housewarming do onc XXe we are ensconced at UWE! Karen Citrus Queen
Reply 324
Original post by debsnm
Hey....
Well, I have to go tomorrow to look at the flat which means I won't be in Bristol on Monday as planned. Boo.
Anyway, I'll see you all soon enough. Really getting excited now!
Debs
x

Hi Debs - hope it goes well today :smile:

Sara x
Hi everyone
I was so delighted to stumble across this forum.
I too am a 33yr old mature student (surprise surprise!) I have firmed my offer from UWE and am moving over to Bristol from Ireland, kit and kaboodle on the ferry in just over 2 weeks! Nervous but super excited! I have fallen in love with occupational therapy and was thrilled to be offered a place.

I'm basically leaving everything I know and starting from scratch! I need a house, a part-time job, a bank account - the works and i have about 6 weeks to do it in.Is it doable? I hope so - i shall remain positive! I missed all the open days due to other commitments but i cant tell you how helpful and reassuring the info on this forum has been already. It's interesting to hear other peoples thoughts about going back to full time education as I too share your fears. This is 2nd time round for me aswell so hopefully I can wake up some of those sleepy brain cells from the dusty corners of my mind to get me through!

any more tips welcome as it seems most of ye are locals and i've never even been to bristol! as crazy as that sounds i have heard nothing but good things about the city and surrounds and i'm sure i'm going to love it. I love the great outdoors, camping, pub quizzes and of course being irish, the odd beer :wink: so i'm sure we are all going to get along great!
Reply 326
Original post by irisheyes2012
Hi everyone
I too am a 33yr old mature student (surprise surprise!) I have firmed my offer from UWE and am moving over to Bristol from Ireland, kit and kaboodle on the ferry in just over 2 weeks! Nervous but super excited! I have fallen in love with occupational therapy and was thrilled to be offered a place.

I'm basically leaving everything I know and starting from scratch! I need a house, a part-time job, a bank account - the works and i have about 6 weeks to do it in.Is it doable? I hope so - i shall remain positive! I missed all the open days due to other commitments but i cant tell you how helpful and reassuring the info on this forum has been already. It's interesting to hear other peoples thoughts about going back to full time education as I too share your fears. This is 2nd time round for me aswell so hopefully I can wake up some of those sleepy brain cells from the dusty corners of my mind to get me through!

any more tips welcome as it seems most of ye are locals and i've never even been to bristol! as crazy as that sounds i have heard nothing but good things about the city and surrounds and i'm sure i'm going to love it. I love the great outdoors, camping, pub quizzes and of course being irish, the odd beer :wink: so i'm sure we are all going to get along great!

Hi there

Did you have an interview at cardiff by any chance? On my day there were 3 mature students - me, a guy called Paul, and someone from Ireland - which might be you! We all went to the coffee shop and then they got through the interviews more quickly and had to come and get us. Oh - and there was one girl who didn't speak at all in the discussion. Sound familiar or have I got the wrong person?

Anyway - I'm from Bristol but not everyone is, so don't worry. If you want any advice on which areas to look at in terms of accommodation, just ask- we'll all chip in!

Sara
Hi everyone

Welcome I am going to UWE and am in the process of moving to the brilliant city of Bristol....am so keen to start but scared, I have to get a job and have had to deal with moving stuff and I feel at home already in Bristol....see you in Sept and good luck with your move !
Thanks guys. I'm sure it won't take me long to settle. Can't wait to get started now. No that wasn't me i never went to Cardiff. Looking forward to meeting ye all in September :smile:
Reply 329
Original post by Citrus queen
Hi Debs You won't believe it ....I am living in an old nursery which was in a large portacabin, fully self contained with Kitchen, shower, walk in wardrobe complete with garden and grounds as I am a caretaker for an old empty 1950's primary school, fab location in Sea Mills (6 miles from Glenside) in very leafy green and relaxed area and costs me just £250 per month inc ALL BILLS. I am an old hippy at heart and do not mind alternative living if its cheap, I saw some scuzzy flats for £550 plus and thought NO WAY ! .....I agree letting agents in Bristol only want 100% full time professional workers under 30!! My place is quirky and fab....and yes I will be doing a housewarming do onc XXe we are ensconced at UWE! Karen Citrus Queen

THAT SOUNDS AMAZING! I am so jealous!!! Can't wait to come over for a cocktail or two!!!

I did rent yesterday. Kinda boring 1 bedroom flat in Staple hill. I too shall have a housewarming once we're off and running!!

xx
Reply 330
Original post by SaraSp
Hi Debs - hope it goes well today :smile:

Sara x

Hey Sara,

Thanks for your support....I did commit to a place yesterday. They have to do a reference, but I don't see a problem. It is on Staplehill Road, about a ten minute walk from the corner of Manor and Fishponds. It isn't spectacular, but it seems safe (I hope) and has enough room for one person (we'll see what happens when my boys come up to visit!).

Are you finished with work yet??? Hope you have a chance to enjoy this lovely weather and relax before it all goes crazy!

Looking forward to seeing you again soon.

xx
Reply 331
Thanks guys. I'm sure it won't take me long to settle. Can't wait to get started now. No that wasn't me i never went to Cardiff. Looking forward to meeting ye all in September :smile:

Welcome!!! Look forward to going to the pub for that cheeky pint with you!

Debs
Original post by debsnm
Welcome!!! Look forward to going to the pub for that cheeky pint with you!

Debs

Hi Debs great news re the flat....at least you can get sorted before we start, I am partly living in Bristol already and getting a feel for the place and I love it! so at least we have 2 'events' to put in the social diary !! your housewarming and mine ! Way to go....Karen X
Reply 333
Hi everyone

Hi and welcome, congrats on getting a place at UWE! Im from Bristol, its a deceint place to live, some parts are better than others, just like every city really! loads of pubs especially around Fishponds, theres a PJ pub crawl during freshers week I think which you and a few others will enjoy lol! I think we must have a quarter of the class of 2015 on here, its great to meet people so many before we start! Are you living in halls? Im sure you can get every thing sorted in a short space of time as long as you are motivated and focused!
Reply 334
Original post by Gully78
Hi Footsteps

I'm currently working as a care assistant in mental health. I've wanted to be an OT for a while now. I did an access course a few years back which took me down a different path, but I've finally come back to OT :smile: How long have you wanted to do this?

I'm working Monday so can't join you all for lunch

I did my access course 2 years ago, when I started it I had a few areas that I wanted to go into, I spent my time deciding which area I really felt was right for me and OT came out on top. My family had OT support for my little sister many years ago and for other family members since so it has always been some thing I was interested in.
Reply 335
Original post by debsnm
Hey Sara,

Thanks for your support....I did commit to a place yesterday. They have to do a reference, but I don't see a problem. It is on Staplehill Road, about a ten minute walk from the corner of Manor and Fishponds. It isn't spectacular, but it seems safe (I hope) and has enough room for one person (we'll see what happens when my boys come up to visit!).

Are you finished with work yet??? Hope you have a chance to enjoy this lovely weather and relax before it all goes crazy!

Looking forward to seeing you again soon.

xx

Hi Debs
Glad you found somewhere. Very convenient for UWE and also for the Cross Hands pub (nice beer and food last time I was in there)! I'm sure it will be fine.

I finish work on 31st August so not long now. 24 days, in fact - but it still feels a bit surreal. Then hopefully get a few days away somewhere with my husband before uni starts. I can't wait to get more info now from UWE about what we have to do - I think that will make it more real.

See you soon

Sara x
Reply 336

Hi - ok thought I'd check! Anyway, hope you get on ok will everything you need to do. As footsteps said, there are lots of places to live around UWE - also some decent pubs and cafes. I've been to a couple of open days and the Glenside campus has a nice feel to it - not huge, lots of open space with grass and trees - and everyone seems really friendly. Fishponds itself has quite a lot of shops, pubs and cafes and it's only a 15 minute walk from campus.

I live about 3 miles from campus and have been in Bristol for nearly 20 years, so please ask if you have any questions. I'm also a mature student (44) - I think the course is roughly half mature and half school leavers, so a nice mix!

Good luck with everything!

Sara
Reply 337
Original post by Gully78
Hi everyone

I thought it was about time I joined this thread and got to know some of the people I'll be spending the next 3 years with from September :smile:. I'm really excited now, it's coming around so quickly.

I've just handed in my notice at work so I'll have a few weeks to get myself together and do some relaxing (hopefully) before we start.

You can also count me in if another meet happens

Hello - welcome to the forum! I handed my notice in a while ago so now just counting the days to the end of August (24 I think)!. Are you living in Bristol already or do you have to move? Definitely come along if we meet up beforehand - otherwise I'm sure we'll all have plenty of time during induction week to chat, find our way round and have the odd beer!

Sara
Reply 338
Original post by footsteps
I did my access course 2 years ago, when I started it I had a few areas that I wanted to go into, I spent my time deciding which area I really felt was right for me and OT came out on top. My family had OT support for my little sister many years ago and for other family members since so it has always been some thing I was interested in.

That's good taking your time to decide what's right for you. I actually did my access course 6 years ago and then did my first year of mental health nursing before realising I definitely wanted to do OT, even though it was between the two to start with.

My brain feels under used and out of practice atm. It will be interesting getting back into the swing of things.
Reply 339
Original post by SaraSp
Hello - welcome to the forum! I handed my notice in a while ago so now just counting the days to the end of August (24 I think)!. Are you living in Bristol already or do you have to move? Definitely come along if we meet up beforehand - otherwise I'm sure we'll all have plenty of time during induction week to chat, find our way round and have the odd beer!

Sara

Thanks Sara

Not long to go. My last day is the 20th! I've lived in Bristol before, but will be living in Weston-super-Mare for the first year. I'm not really looking forward commuting from there as the traffic can be horrendous so might move to Bristol for the second year.

Hopefully we can meet up beforehand. If not will definitely look forward to induction week and the odd beer or coffee at one of the local cafes

Quick Reply

Latest