The Student Room Group

Occupational Therapy at UWE 2012

What-ho!

This thread is for all those people who have received unconditional or conditional offers for UWE's OT course and have decided that UWE is their first choice.

Moderators, if there is already a similar thread, my apologies, I did search, honest :frown:

I thought we could use this thread as a means of meeting our new classmates and to discuss issues directly associated with the course at UWE and UWE issues in general, such as accomodation, location, etc, and general hopes, fears etc etc.

I'll start the ball rolling:

I found out two days ago that I had an unconditional offer there, and actually phoned admissions to verify what they meant, I was in such a state of shock! I'm 33 years old, so making the decisionto go back to uni and have a complete career overhaul is a nail-biting decision, so I'm just so glad that UWE have been quick in their decision process, as I was seriously starting to lose sleep over it all (even though its only been a few weeks since the UCAS deadline...)

I'm not going to worry too much about waiting for my other options to make their minds up. I have a place on an OT course, so in three years time, hopefully, I'll be a qualified OT. That's all that ultimately matters to me. UWE is nice in that its by Bristol, which is a very nice small city, but I hopefully won't be out partying too much (been there, done that, bought the tshirt and was promptly sick all over it...), so all I want is somewhere to study, with good resources, friendly, professional lecturers, and in a location that has a park nearby for me to run around (and there's such a place near UWE! Oldbury Court estate looks like a nice place to go for a jog). Also there's two CAMRA pubs within spitting distance of Glenside. Happy Days :smile:

So, having made my decision, I now need to decide on accomodation. Thinking of Glenside, obviously, as its close to the OT lectures, the Hollies, and also St Matthias, though I have no idea if those rooms are only available for students studying at St Matthias. I'm assuming not. It would be nice to have an en suite room (never in my life have I had en suite. what luxury!) and its actually cheaper than Glenside, which isn't en suite. Not sure what thats about. The Hollies looks like it might be the cheap seats (owing to the prices and the internal pictures), but I've lived in some truly crummy digs, so I'm not going to let that bother me overly!

Hopefully will get a chance to go down to see them all in a week or two, so will be able to get a better insight.

So, anyone else care to join in? See you all in September!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Was your offer based on your BQ or did you have an interview? I have accepted my offer for Uwe, I too am an oldie will be 38 when we start! Im already in Bristol so luckly dont have the worry of moving (did that this time last year and have decided Im never moving again!), Did you look at the accomodation on the main Frenchay campus, Glenside is only a couple of miles away, its a bit of a walk if your unfit like me as you go down one hill then up another but the student life there is pretty good (so I have been told) and the Uwe busses are very good! there are also some lovely open areas around it!
for me the biggest worry is finance and childcare!
Original post by thebrigadier
What-ho!

This thread is for all those people who have received unconditional or conditional offers for UWE's OT course and have decided that UWE is their first choice.

Moderators, if there is already a similar thread, my apologies, I did search, honest :frown:

I thought we could use this thread as a means of meeting our new classmates and to discuss issues directly associated with the course at UWE and UWE issues in general, such as accomodation, location, etc, and general hopes, fears etc etc.

I'll start the ball rolling:

I found out two days ago that I had an unconditional offer there, and actually phoned admissions to verify what they meant, I was in such a state of shock! I'm 33 years old, so making the decisionto go back to uni and have a complete career overhaul is a nail-biting decision, so I'm just so glad that UWE have been quick in their decision process, as I was seriously starting to lose sleep over it all (even though its only been a few weeks since the UCAS deadline...)

I'm not going to worry too much about waiting for my other options to make their minds up. I have a place on an OT course, so in three years time, hopefully, I'll be a qualified OT. That's all that ultimately matters to me. UWE is nice in that its by Bristol, which is a very nice small city, but I hopefully won't be out partying too much (been there, done that, bought the tshirt and was promptly sick all over it...), so all I want is somewhere to study, with good resources, friendly, professional lecturers, and in a location that has a park nearby for me to run around (and there's such a place near UWE! Oldbury Court estate looks like a nice place to go for a jog). Also there's two CAMRA pubs within spitting distance of Glenside. Happy Days :smile:

So, having made my decision, I now need to decide on accomodation. Thinking of Glenside, obviously, as its close to the OT lectures, the Hollies, and also St Matthias, though I have no idea if those rooms are only available for students studying at St Matthias. I'm assuming not. It would be nice to have an en suite room (never in my life have I had en suite. what luxury!) and its actually cheaper than Glenside, which isn't en suite. Not sure what thats about. The Hollies looks like it might be the cheap seats (owing to the prices and the internal pictures), but I've lived in some truly crummy digs, so I'm not going to let that bother me overly!

Hopefully will get a chance to go down to see them all in a week or two, so will be able to get a better insight.

So, anyone else care to join in? See you all in September!

Hi I am 46 ! and have a degree from 25 yrs ago.....cannot believe I am doing it all over again. Glad to see some people over 30 on the course. I think UWE is my top choice and I have to move aswell. I am not keen on campus accom at Glenside so may do rent a room in an area close by, I am into pub quizzes so anyone up for a few drinks and quizzing would be fun. I like you had to retrain and get a qualified job, and OT seems a strong choice for jobs aswell. I am looking at Plymouth and Southampton on preview days as I have offers here too. BUT I feel UWE is the best place forme, and am relieved there are 4 mature students on The Student Room !!!! Glad you started this thread as I am new to this and not even sure what a thread is! Maybe being at UWE I will get into all this web technology.
Reply 3
hiya footsteps and citrus queen!

to answer you first, footsteps, my offer was an unconditional one based on the BQ- I admit I was mildly peeved when I checked the UWE applicant page and saw they had posted the BQ without sending an email notification to my hotmail account, as the small print states if you don't respond within 14 days of receiving it, then UWE would assume you were no longer interested and would cancel your application with them! seemed a bit harsh, but hey-ho...

However, I was incredibly grateful and more than a little shocked when, a few days after sending it in, UWE gave me the offer- no interviews, no reflective pieces... I'd been to an open day at Coventry, and their procedure seemed to involve interviews, team work exercises and reflective writing. None of that particularly phased me, as I've done it all before in some form or another, but it was nice not to have to spend money on train fares that I can ill afford right now! And, ultimately, its nice to have the decision made. Derby shot my application down almost immediately, saying I lacked recent academic study, so I was getting a bit scared that all of my choices would go the same way. Thankfully UWE thought I was good enough, so phew! All I have to do now is get my finances and accomodation sorted out, and job done :biggrin:

Regarding accomodation, I've lived in halls a couple of times in my life, so I'm not expecting 5 star digs, but at the same time, I'm twitchy about living on a mian campus again- I'm not a big fan of fire alarms at 2 in the morning every other day, and the noise levels of all those young'uns might be a bit much for me!

Citrus Queen- I was initially thinking about looking for a room in a house somewhere near to campus, but was a bit daunted about going about that while living in shrewsbury. Principle advantage of a room is that its normally cheaper than halls, quieter, and with the right group of people and a non-intrusive but responsive landlord it can be very rewarding. How were you going to go about looking for a room? Also, what was it about the Glenside accomodation that you didn't like? I'd just be interested to hear what you thought of it.

And yes, its a relief to see other mature students here! I'm always up for a pub quiz, so we'll have to have a look around and see what bristol has to offer in that department!

On an aside- what's prompting you both to retrain? I've been working in care (learning disabilities) for a number of years, and suddenly realised I was sick of getting paid £7 an hr for the level of responsibility we had to shoulder, and that the only way I could remedy that was to go into management, something that really didn't appeal. I stumbled onto Occupational Therapy while researching SALT, and realised it was all the aspects of support that I enjoyed (life skills, adaptive living, independence development) with less of the lunacy. And a decent wage and pension both appeal too!
Reply 4
Hi Everyone,
(I posted this message on another board and then saw this one. Sorry to be a bore if you read the other one. Also, I hope it's OK for me to be here as I don't have an offer, just a huge HOPE to have an offer from UWE!)
I noticed that a few of you have firm offers from UWE and are mature students. This is great as I too am a mature student! I have an interview this coming Wed. UWE is my first choice and I am quite nervous about the interview. I know that some of you have already been through the interview process. Can you offer me any advice? They say that they ask you questions about the BQ and about OT in general...hmmm. My mind has played every possible case senario and I haven't slept in a week! Help(?)
I'm also curious as to why some people got in on the BQ alone and didn't have to interview.
Any idea how many places there are? I think I read on their website that there are 43 places, not sure though. I wonder how people have applied? I know that Hallam had 750 applicants!!!
Sorry for so many questions, but I look forward to any answers you guys might be able to give me! Looking forward to hearing from you all and hopefully studying together this year!!!
Reply 5
Hi Everyone who already has a place and debsnm,
This is my first post on here and I couldn't even come up with an interesting user name!
I also apologise for hijacking this thread, but I hope to be a mature UWE OT- 40 by the time the course starts- student too and I have been reading your posts with interest. I thought it might be tempting fate to post here, but I wanted to let debsnm know that I have an interview on Wednesday as well. Are you there at 1?
This is the only uni I have applied to as I will have to live at home in Stroud and commute( that sounds like I don't want to live at home, but I love them all really:smile:).
I feel exactly the same- not sleeping well, and thinking through the odds. I guess we can just be ourselves and try our best, but I really want this!!! Obviously any advice gratefully received, but the tutors seem lovely so I hope they'll be gentle with us.
At the open day they told us there were 45 funded places, and someone on here has mentioned 450 applicants. The girl that showed me round was an OT student and she said that in her year there were 15 school leavers, 15 students with a degree already and 15 parents so that's positive I hope?!:biggrin:
Reply 6
Hi KAZZ (sorry, forgot the rest of your user name, lol)

I am expected to be there at 9:30, boo! I wish I was in at 1pm as I am coming from Exeter and have to catch a train at 7:30, boo again!

I wish you luck on your interview! I think it would be fab if there were a lot of mature students on the course. I recently completed an Access course and more than half the class had parents my age! It made me feel realllly old!

Keep in touch and let me know if you hear anything regarding the interview process and I will too!!
Reply 7
Hi to the two of you and good luck for Wednesday, the interview was really informal, just 4 questions and they were similar to those on the bq but not based on your bq answers! We were told there were 450 applicants so 1 in 10 chance but I think they only interview you if they are really interested in having you, so well done for even getting this far! There were only 8 or 9 of us there, which suprised me, I thought there would be a lot more so we were done in less than a couple of hours.
Reply 8
Hi Footsteps,
Thank you for the info.
Good Luck to you too Debs. I hope the train journey is okay and that I see you back on here with a place before to long.......... I have everything crossed for you- unless you get my place! :wink:
Reply 9

to answer you first, footsteps, my offer was an unconditional one based on the BQ- I admit I was mildly peeved when I checked the UWE applicant page and saw they had posted the BQ without sending an email notification to my hotmail account, as the small print states if you don't respond within 14 days of receiving it, then UWE would assume you were no longer interested and would cancel your application with them! seemed a bit harsh, but hey-ho...

However, I was incredibly grateful and more than a little shocked when, a few days after sending it in, UWE gave me the offer- no interviews, no reflective pieces... I'd been to an open day at Coventry, and their procedure seemed to involve interviews, team work exercises and reflective writing. None of that particularly phased me, as I've done it all before in some form or another, but it was nice not to have to spend money on train fares that I can ill afford right now! And, ultimately, its nice to have the decision made. Derby shot my application down almost immediately, saying I lacked recent academic study, so I was getting a bit scared that all of my choices would go the same way. Thankfully UWE thought I was good enough, so phew! All I have to do now is get my finances and accomodation sorted out, and job done :biggrin:

Regarding accomodation, I've lived in halls a couple of times in my life, so I'm not expecting 5 star digs, but at the same time, I'm twitchy about living on a mian campus again- I'm not a big fan of fire alarms at 2 in the morning every other day, and the noise levels of all those young'uns might be a bit much for me!

Citrus Queen- I was initially thinking about looking for a room in a house somewhere near to campus, but was a bit daunted about going about that while living in shrewsbury. Principle advantage of a room is that its normally cheaper than halls, quieter, and with the right group of people and a non-intrusive but responsive landlord it can be very rewarding. How were you going to go about looking for a room? Also, what was it about the Glenside accomodation that you didn't like? I'd just be interested to hear what you thought of it.

And yes, its a relief to see other mature students here! I'm always up for a pub quiz, so we'll have to have a look around and see what bristol has to offer in that department!

On an aside- what's prompting you both to retrain? I've been working in care (learning disabilities) for a number of years, and suddenly realised I was sick of getting paid £7 an hr for the level of responsibility we had to shoulder, and that the only way I could remedy that was to go into management, something that really didn't appeal. I stumbled onto Occupational Therapy while researching SALT, and realised it was all the aspects of support that I enjoyed (life skills, adaptive living, independence development) with less of the lunacy. And a decent wage and pension both appeal too!

I'm not really retraining lol! Was a nursery nurse so long ago that I can't remember, then had kids and hated that I was handing my child to another person so that I could care for someone else's child, it felt so wrong so I gave that up, since then I have either been home with my kids or worked retail. I've wanted to work in a caring profession but some thing always got in the way until now! I just knew if I didn't do it now I never would and would regret it for the rest of my life!
Original post by debsnm
Hi Everyone,
(I posted this message on another board and then saw this one. Sorry to be a bore if you read the other one. Also, I hope it's OK for me to be here as I don't have an offer, just a huge HOPE to have an offer from UWE!)
I noticed that a few of you have firm offers from UWE and are mature students. This is great as I too am a mature student! I have an interview this coming Wed. UWE is my first choice and I am quite nervous about the interview. I know that some of you have already been through the interview process. Can you offer me any advice? They say that they ask you questions about the BQ and about OT in general...hmmm. My mind has played every possible case senario and I haven't slept in a week! Help(?)
I'm also curious as to why some people got in on the BQ alone and didn't have to interview.
Any idea how many places there are? I think I read on their website that there are 43 places, not sure though. I wonder how people have applied? I know that Hallam had 750 applicants!!!
Sorry for so many questions, but I look forward to any answers you guys might be able to give me! Looking forward to hearing from you all and hopefully studying together this year!!!

Be yourself.....I think UWE interview people who are a YES and it is a confirmation interview. I decided to be honest and myself and just hoped they thought I could be a good OT. I am thrilled there are mature students on the course. The interview is one to one and very friendly! The UWE lecturers are a very good bunch from what I saw on the day. Good luck and keep us all posted !!
Reply 11
Thanks for the info and well wishes!!! Really hope to celebrate with you guys online very soon!!!
Original post by KazzaC
Hi Everyone who already has a place and debsnm,
This is my first post on here and I couldn't even come up with an interesting user name!
I also apologise for hijacking this thread, but I hope to be a mature UWE OT- 40 by the time the course starts- student too and I have been reading your posts with interest. I thought it might be tempting fate to post here, but I wanted to let debsnm know that I have an interview on Wednesday as well. Are you there at 1?
This is the only uni I have applied to as I will have to live at home in Stroud and commute( that sounds like I don't want to live at home, but I love them all really:smile:).
I feel exactly the same- not sleeping well, and thinking through the odds. I guess we can just be ourselves and try our best, but I really want this!!! Obviously any advice gratefully received, but the tutors seem lovely so I hope they'll be gentle with us.
At the open day they told us there were 45 funded places, and someone on here has mentioned 450 applicants. The girl that showed me round was an OT student and she said that in her year there were 15 school leavers, 15 students with a degree already and 15 parents so that's positive I hope?!:biggrin:

Good Luck.....I believe UWE see who they want so you have a high chance I think, I think they offered 5/6 of us who went on interview 2 weeks ago, 3 of us are on student room !! and UWE LOVE mature students and I think they value us....I will be 47 when I start !!! so 40 is young. At least we have 1 man on the course ....so far so bless him - hope he has a few more men for company too. Interview was very relaxed and friendly, they want you to do well - not catch you out. GOOD LUCK and keep us posted !

Hi I decided to retrain as I was a retail training manager and got fed up with travel and politics and crazy world of sales etc. OT is linked so I thought why not .....I also strongly recommend www.spareroom.co.uk for rooms to rent, brill site for rooms and flatshares in and around UWE areas, Glenside campus is an old psychiatric hospital and accom is trad student (tiny room) off a kitchen for 6 - 8 so not for me BUT I want to live pretty near Frenchay campus as this has lots going on.....they even have a weekly Farmers market, how cool is that for a uni !! Great news re quizzing...sad but a serious hobby of mine so I am up for the FREE FILMS at uwe cinema too on Frenchay, so more good stuff to do - hope you get a couple of blokes on the course ! Bless you - surrounded by all women !
Reply 14
Original post by Citrus queen
Hi I decided to retrain as I was a retail training manager and got fed up with travel and politics and crazy world of sales etc. OT is linked so I thought why not .....I also strongly recommend www.spareroom.co.uk for rooms to rent, brill site for rooms and flatshares in and around UWE areas, Glenside campus is an old psychiatric hospital and accom is trad student (tiny room) off a kitchen for 6 - 8 so not for me BUT I want to live pretty near Frenchay campus as this has lots going on.....they even have a weekly Farmers market, how cool is that for a uni !! Great news re quizzing...sad but a serious hobby of mine so I am up for the FREE FILMS at uwe cinema too on Frenchay, so more good stuff to do - hope you get a couple of blokes on the course ! Bless you - surrounded by all women !

Areas near frenchay campus are stoke park (average rents there as houses are over 10 years old) cheswick village (houses brand new so high rent) or slightly further but still walking distance to frenchay campus is lockleaze (old council estate full of prefabs so cheap rents there) for places near glenside fishponds or Stapleton are closest and with average rents.
Reply 15
Original post by Citrus queen
Good Luck.....I believe UWE see who they want so you have a high chance I think, I think they offered 5/6 of us who went on interview 2 weeks ago, 3 of us are on student room !! and UWE LOVE mature students and I think they value us....I will be 47 when I start !!! so 40 is young. At least we have 1 man on the course ....so far so bless him - hope he has a few more men for company too. Interview was very relaxed and friendly, they want you to do well - not catch you out. GOOD LUCK and keep us posted !

Thank you!
Reply 16
Has anyone heard anything from uwe since getting their offer? I know they are busy with interviews etc but I really want to know what happens next (I know I'm being impatient, we still have 7 months before we start)! I sent in my access certificates last week but haven't had confirmation that they received them (had to email as I couldn't get them below 1mb).
Original post by footsteps
Has anyone heard anything from uwe since getting their offer? I know they are busy with interviews etc but I really want to know what happens next (I know I'm being impatient, we still have 7 months before we start)! I sent in my access certificates last week but haven't had confirmation that they received them (had to email as I couldn't get them below 1mb).

Hi I am not sure what we do next, I am off to uwe for a proper look round on march 13th so I can check out Frenchay, see the part time jobs shop at UWE cos I need a 15 hrs week job from DAY ONE of being there as my finances are a bit ropey. I am going to ask on 13th what happens next, I suspect nothing until we have to make our final/first choices in May. I do not know what happens if you go onto Ucas and select them now as 1st choice ? Seven months sounds ages away but there is lots to organize, do you need to move ?
OOPs sorry Footsteps just realized you live in Bristol, read an earlier post, and like me finances need tweeking !! I am v nervous about the whole thing and need to move, so any tips welcome....let us know next steps if you find out and I will post once I have neen to uwe again for a proper snoop round Frenchay as there is not much more to see/know about Glenside !
Original post by debsnm
Thanks for the info and well wishes!!! Really hope to celebrate with you guys online very soon!!!

Hi Debs let us know how you get on.....GOOD LUCK and post us how it went. They do make quick decisions at uwe, results about 4 - 7 days later from our interview day.

Quick Reply

Latest