The Student Room Group

Statistics GCSE coursework help?

We're supposed to be starting our controlled assessment next week where we write the conclusion. The rest is done at home, but I need some help.

Basically, we're supposed to do a hypothesis on something in the olympics e.g. "People who weigh more can throw further in shot put" or "Taller people can run faster". Our teacher has given us a website with the data on: http://iaaf.org/oly08/results/eventCode=3659/bydiscipline/index.html but the problem is, not all the athletic's biography's have their height and weight on them. What do I do?

My hypothesis will probably be one of the above, and I will compare mens and womens, as well as the last few years or so. Do you think that's enough to get an A*?

Thank you in advance.
Sure it should be enough to get an A* as that relies more on the actual calculations you do rather than the subject choice. I did mine on if health effects intelligence. You might want to have a look around on other websites for the athlete information rather than just using the source your teacher gave you :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by kpritchx
Sure it should be enough to get an A* as that relies more on the actual calculations you do rather than the subject choice. I did mine on if health effects intelligence. You might want to have a look around on other websites for the athlete information rather than just using the source your teacher gave you :smile:

Did your teacher let your class choose whatever hypothesis they wanted instead of on one subject like health? And what sort of calculations did you do?

Thanks for commenting! xx
Reply 3
Anyone else? :smile:
Original post by onesoulfortwo
Did your teacher let your class choose whatever hypothesis they wanted instead of on one subject like health? And what sort of calculations did you do?

Thanks for commenting! xx

Umm well our teacher gave us pretty much free reign for what topic we chose but she gave us quite afew pointers! We gathered our data by doing random samples of people's (anonymous) CAT scores and questionnaires about health.

I just went upstairs to see if i could find my old stats folder but don't know where its gone :frown: I can remember drawing lots of correlation graphs and calculating standard deviation etc... I think you also get marks for interpreting the data in words so make sure you come to a good conclusion in the end!

I really liked stats GCSE... the exam is an absolute killer 2.5 hours?!! but the grade boundaries are nice and low normally so its not too impossible to get an A* as long as you put in the revision :biggrin:

GOOD LUCK!!xx
Reply 5
Original post by kpritchx
Umm well our teacher gave us pretty much free reign for what topic we chose but she gave us quite afew pointers! We gathered our data by doing random samples of people's (anonymous) CAT scores and questionnaires about health.

I just went upstairs to see if i could find my old stats folder but don't know where its gone :frown: I can remember drawing lots of correlation graphs and calculating standard deviation etc... I think you also get marks for interpreting the data in words so make sure you come to a good conclusion in the end!

I really liked stats GCSE... the exam is an absolute killer 2.5 hours?!! but the grade boundaries are nice and low normally so its not too impossible to get an A* as long as you put in the revision :biggrin:

GOOD LUCK!!xx

Thank you so much. And yup, the grades boundaries are definately nice... I got an A without any revision, and I'm crap at maths :eek:

Do you think if I collect say like 10 people's data for men in 2000 and then 10 people's data for women in 2000, and then the same for each year until 2009, that would be enough data? My teacher says we need around 30-50... but I'm not sure if she means as a whole or for each section i.e men
(edited 12 years ago)
Thank you so much. And yup, the grades boundaries are definately nice... I got an A without any revision, and I'm crap at maths :eek:

Do you think if I collect say like 10 people's data for men in 2000 and then 10 people's data for women in 2000, and then the same for each year until 2009, that would be enough data? My teacher says we need around 30-50... but I'm not sure if she means as a whole or for each section i.e men

I would say that should be plenty of data :smile: I think I used about 30 students in total for mine so you'll be fine!
Hi,

My teacher said 60 minimum!! i only managed to gather 38... but as kpritchx mentioned, its about how you calculate your hypothesis for example i chose: Jamacian athletes have faster reaction times than american athletes in the Berlin 2009 would championships 100m race. then you just find out the mean and draw graphs, calculate standard deviation if possible, draw outliers and cat and whisker/box plots etc.
I made up my data last year for my C/A, just made a perfect bell shaped curve on excel with delibarate anomolies to write about in my conclusion and my teacher never found out. You only need to write a good way to collect the data there is no check that you actually carry it out.
Reply 9
Original post by Rubba Dubba Luffy
Hi,

My teacher said 60 minimum!! i only managed to gather 38... but as kpritchx mentioned, its about how you calculate your hypothesis for example i chose: Jamacian athletes have faster reaction times than american athletes in the Berlin 2009 would championships 100m race. then you just find out the mean and draw graphs, calculate standard deviation if possible, draw outliers and cat and whisker/box plots etc.

What graphs did you use? I'm really stuck. My hypothesis is: The younger you are, the faster you can run. Thus I have collected the age and time it took for the atheletes to finish 200 metre run. I've done it for 2012, 2010, 2008, 2006 and 2004. However I don't know if I am supposed to do scatter graphs, cumulative freq or what? I understand how to do the scatter graphs, but don't know how to work out the mean and st.dev from it.... and for the cumulative freq, I know how to work out the mean and st.dev from it but I don't know how I'm supposed to apply the graph to my hypothesis. :s-smilie: aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah
Original post by Rubba Dubba Luffy
Hi,

How did you do cumulative frequency graphs for it? I'm sooo confused. :frown:

EDIT: Actually don't worry. I've changed my hypothesis. :smile: Now I've got a cumulative frequency and scatter diagram. My hypothesis is "Men run faster than women" - which I then draw a cumulative freq diagram for. My second one is "The speed of atheletes has increased over the last few years" - which I draw a scatter graph for.

I want to do spearman's rank if I can... do you think I could do it with my data, and if so, what would the two variables be?

Thanks.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 11
We're supposed to be starting our controlled assessment next week where we write the conclusion. The rest is done at home, but I need some help.

Basically, we're supposed to do a hypothesis on something in the olympics e.g. "People who weigh more can throw further in shot put" or "Taller people can run faster". Our teacher has given us a website with the data on: http://iaaf.org/oly08/results/eventCode=3659/bydiscipline/index.html but the problem is, not all the athletic's biography's have their height and weight on them. What do I do?

My hypothesis will probably be one of the above, and I will compare mens and womens, as well as the last few years or so. Do you think that's enough to get an A*?

Thank you in advance.

How do you define who's taller and who's shorter? Is there a special height they have to be over to be taller?
Original post by francesf
How do you define who's taller and who's shorter? Is there a special height they have to be over to be taller?

Don't know but I didn't do them at the end. I did age affects speed. :smile:
Hiya
(edited 11 years ago)
Does anyone know any good sources online/ websites/ documents to help get an A* in the statistics coursework or have any good tips! I have my two hypotheses and can use A* level techniques during the data representation but I'm slightly unsure what to put in my plan/ how much detail you have to go into because my teacher said that if you don't put everything that you're going to do in your plan you won't get any marks for if you do it later on? Also we are starting the official write up on Tuesday so help would be very appreciated :smile: thanks

Quick Reply

Latest