The Student Room Group

Higher English- Reflective Essay

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Quick-use
Guys I'm doing Advanced Higher English and I've had great practice in writing personal reflectives. I wouldn't recommend the tyre idea, it's too tenuous to the concept of reflection, and far too insignificant. Doing an essay on something that really doesn't seem huge on the outside but really has an impact is what you should be doing: did the punctured tyre honestly change your life, or make you realise something? It's important to do it on something that really taught you something about life, not something seemingly quirky yet hugely insignificant. Don't get me wrong, it could be an event that does seem unimportant (on the outside), but something that really matters to you.

Nfergs your essay, when you send it away to SQA, will be scanned for plagiarism and it being on here isn't a great idea at all. I'd delete it. Also, your essay is too similar to a discursive essay. Personal reflectives really shouldn't be seen as a discursive, there's a difference. At more higher levels, you should honestly write about an event: write about it as if you would a story, but it's your story. I guess it could be like a short story, but the only difference is that it's about you.

It's important to write about an event that honestly had a great impact on you for whatever reason.

Hey do you have anymore tips for the personal reflective essays? I'm doing my highers this year and I really want to do well in English.
I'm a higher student - I just finished writing my reflective essay and I know I really struggled with coming up with a topic. I'm only 15, so thinking of a life-altering experience was very hard for me. The main thing my teacher worked to drill into my head is that you can make ANY topic sound stylish enough for a good grade but you must remember it is a reflection.

I did my topic on an obstacle course race at first. The teacher said it would get a C, maybe a B so I thought long and hard about how I could make it better. I decided to make parallell's between the obstacles and my struggles in life. Eg. 'There were ten foot walls. I couldn't see over them and they were daunting but once I was over them I realised it wasn't so bad. Often in my life I convince myself that I simply CANT do things instead of giving it my best shot and trying to overcome them'. That's a rubbish example, but you get it. I really struggled, with my higher essay, to make it sound deep.

To think of a topic try:

Think about a time where you really wanted to give up or really thought you weren't going to make it or finish.
A time when you were pressurised into something(drinking, drugs?)
First time away from your parents (school trip, holiday) and how this developed your personality/independence.

That's just a few suggestions. Hope it helped.
Original post by Quick-use
Oh no, sorry about that! It doesn't have to be something huge, honestly! I wrote my personal reflective about me going to a party and not drinking because of my culture. And I exaggerated everything (with plenty of lies).

Personal Reflectives are honestly like short stories, the only difference is that you're the main character. That's how I wrote mine, and I exaggerated it (the tension, the conflict) as I would in a short story.

I'm sorry again :frown:

Yo, since all of you are almost professional now can someone help me with my personal reflective. I’m currently doing higher and I’m finding it difficult to improve on my essay. Can one of you kindly help proofread and adjust it please. Thank you. I would appreciate that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending