The Student Room Group

Is David Cameron the worst PM ever?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Besakt
No it doesn't. Let me just give a billionaire a some more money as that will help the people living in relative poverty. :rolleyes:

Original post by Mysteries
Wow! That's the dumbest thing I've read in this thread yet.

Well think, where does all this extra money the rich now have go? Straight back into the economy and into the hands of the poor.
Reply 81
Original post by laura94
Well think, where does all this extra money the rich now have go? Straight back into the economy and into the hands of the poor.

Put into swiss banks and spent on extravagant holidays. Spent abroad where taxes are lower.
Original post by dansalt
LOL - but who did Labour "borrow" from??? Who is paying it back?

Labour borrow from you, your kids and grandkids causing inflationary prices - so people are actually worse off - they have more "money" - but can only spend it on consumer items or holidays - if they do get a house - they end up in negative equity when the bubble burts!! We are now paying back all of Labour's borrowing!!!

-

VAT increase is the only way to increase the tax take in a recession - trying to hit the "rich" just means they find ways to dodge the tax - wouldn't you if you were paying a 50% tax rate? Go crazy on the rich- and they MOVE ABROAD - TONY BLAIR'S BUSINESSES ARE REGISTERED IN THE CAYMAN ISLANDS TO AVOID UK TAX - THIS IS A FACT!!

Several companies are restructuring, cutting jobs and re-locating to tax-benign countries - Boots plc has moved to Switzerland - losing us over £100 million a year and stopping any UK pharmacist competing - to claw that money back we must raise VAT so Boots don't take it out!! Foreign owned companies can't avoid VAT.

-

"Being socially responsible" is not giving everyone A* at school and creating courses in film studies and cooking to cause grade inflation, meaning young people then sign up to £30k debt to "prove" they are good enough for an internship!

"being socially responsible" is not de-regulating lending so anyone can get a self-cert mortgage - driving house prices so high investors pile in - instead of putting money into the stock market and supoprting BRitish business growth - and first-time buyers are shut out the market

"being socially responsible" is not creating non-jobs and non-qualifications to massage unemployment figures leading to a huge skills gap in core professions requiring record immigration.

"being socially responsible" is being an adult - sorry you are too poor to have kids, sorry you need to get a real qualification before we can trust you will make the repayments to buy a house. No - you need to invest in british businesses not buy-to-let sarah beeny madness if you don't want us to tax you heavily.

"being socially responsible" is not trying to con young people into thinking they know how everything works to win votes by claiming it was "down to the banks".

YES IT WAS DOWN TO THE BANKS - but why? Because bonds that were actually sub-prime mortgages (only existing because govrnments underwrote them) defaulted....

Banks lobbied for de-regulation in the mortgage market, Labour and US govt allowed it and encouraged it - as more tax money came in, in the short term and they got backhanders (yes really)

When the mortgages failed - taxpayers bailed out the banks.

think about that a minute:

1. Labour deregulated mortgages/banking to allow banks to profit based on taxpayer-underwritten borrowing

2. Now its blown up the taxpayer foots the bill and Tories are voted in to to stop the country going bankrupt.

How on earth is this Labour looking after "everyone" and the tories looking after the "rich"??

Because the tories are cutting benefits which help the poorest and most desperate people in society. Labour DID NOT do this. Tony Blair was a scumbag and a war criminal and the Labour party is filled with liars and hypocrites. We all agree on this.

But do you think that the conservatives wouldn't have deregulated the mortgage market? Of course they would have! Do you think DC wouldn't have bailed out the banks? Of course he would have!

I actually agree with most of what you say mate. I am certainly not a fan of Labour as I've said before. Perhaps I didn't express myself well enough: when I said they were more socially responsible I meant 'idealogically'. My main contention is that the tories would rather cut back on benefits that help society rather than curtail our military budget (ie sending our flagship destroyer to the falklands etc...) or increase taxes on the rich.
Original post by laura94

LOL! That's one of the oldest lies in the book!

Newsflash: the rich don't spend money! And when they do what makes you think it goes into OUR economy? And HOW does it end up in the hands of the poor?
Reply 84
Considering the poor economic climate, and when compared with previous PMs, I think he's done an okay job so far. Nothing outstanding but he hasn't dropped the ball yet. So no, he is not the worst PM ever you idiot.
Original post by Kiss
Considering the poor economic climate, and when compared with previous PMs, I think he's done an okay job so far. Nothing outstanding but he hasn't dropped the ball yet. So no, he is not the worst PM ever you idiot.

OK let's see how you feel about him in 4-5 years. When he destroyed the NHS, made half of the country homeless and unemployed, when the next riots hit the nation because of his insane "austerity measures".

Don't say I didn't warn you.

xx
Reply 86
Original post by Besakt
Like you said you shouldn't take it as the gospel truth.

But, these cases will continue. Perhaps not to the same extent; however the scheme was easily open to abuse.

My point is you cannot say whether EMA improved their grades or not because you cannot compare like for like and just changing whether they get EMA or not.

My point is that the scheme was introduced to help. If their grades haven't improved then I doubt they are academic. Of course an exam is not totally indicative of their effort and intelligence, but those students saw the EMA as an opportunity to fund their nights out.

Stop assuming people who study hairdressing live next to the school, study soft subjects (which is subjective), and wastes money each weekend.
Even if the student goes to university there is no guarantee they will graduate and get a job, so there is no guarantee they will pay taxes in the future and pay back the subsidy.

1- A hairdressing course is vocational, not academic. Therefore I disagree that they should receive any money from the state. This is a massive generalisation and I apologise (hopefully you can understand the point I'm making), the females I knew of (due to GCSEs) who do hairdressing courses may have been on a low parental income, but they still had enough money during their GCSE years to pay for clothing, hair extentions, make up, etc. I don't care what they spent their parents money on, but I do care if the taxpayer is funding someone that really doesn't need the help.

2 - Arguments I have had on TSR with other users revolve around how transport is an issue. If a student lives close to the school (walking or cycling distance), then they do not need a subsidy to fund transport. Certainly the people I knew who do hairdressing courses live close to their further education college.

3 - If a graduate struggles to find a job, then it's probably because too many people have degrees. The economy will pick up again however Labour's priority on education has resulted in the degree being devalued. Higher education should be for the academic, not for someone who only went for the social life or because they view it as a right.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 87
You're funny when you try to sound smart. Your post is slightly more eloquent than your previous one but still lacking in substance

That patronising tone is meant to achieve what? This is an internet forum for constructive debate, all you have presented are childish digs and grossly misrepresented or outright fabricated evidence. You are 25 years old and from what has been shown so far, possess an argument structure more akin to that of a disgruntled ape, shout and fling poo at it until it goes away.

So I suppose you don't think we should slavery remembrance days?

Ironic that you deigned to talk about 'eloquence' and then construct a sentence that doesn't make sense. What history can teach us is how to avoid the mistakes of the past, slavery was a 'mistake' in terms of morality and one that can be avoided in the future.

Of course morality is subjective but it has nothing to do with what people saw as right and just. It was the law. Which was enforced by the ruling class as it always has been. Do you think that most women thought they shouldn't be allowed to vote? Please at least try to use your brain for a second.

Hmm, well lets have a think about that shall we? Alot of women were under the impression that they couldn't vote, yes, but the patriarchal concept of society at the time included the fact that women simply weren't responsible enough/intelligent enough to vote; people actually bought that because they themselves thought they had made a rational decision to come to that. Nobody makes a decision and goes 'Herp well I am being told it therefore it is true', the process is subtler than that.
Slavery wasn't compulsory by law, what on earth are you talking about? Thousands of Greek families had slaves, they weren't necessarily rulers either, middle class would be a better term to describe them. Hell, even some of the worst off Greek Citizens would have a slave. Then you have the Spartans who simply went and conquered another country and based their entire lifestyle around the fact they had a massive amount of controlled labour to use, EVERY SPARTAN was part of that, and if you know anything about the Spartan hierarchy, their 'ruling elite' was not very elite (they referred to each other as 'the equals'). I'd even argue that it is one of the more sounder examples of a truly communistic society, even if ironically, it is built upon the backs of others. Greece never had a centralised government strong enough to impose true 'slave laws' nationwide, it was decided by the people, who thought they were doing the moral thing at the time.

Do you honestly believe an elected government can do whatever it likes? A government is reflective of the society that elects it, not the other way around.

Also the term 'Holocaust' is of Greek origin meaning "sacrifice by fire". It is NOT a "Judeo-Christian" term.

This point you have got true, and I should rephrase that what I mean is that it is the JEWS who christened it the Holocaust, a name to describe the damage done to them.

I still want a link by the way to your British empire genocide figures.
Reply 88
Again you're attacking the manner in which I'm arguing not the content of my argument.

But anyways isn't about time you did your homework?

And try to pay a little more attention in class the semester. You might actually learn something!

Run along now.

The manner in which you argue is part of the content of your argument.

Otherwise I could just splurge a load of words or even better, letters onto the screen and state that the content is all there, you just have to interpret it into the correct argument.

Read up on formal logic more.
Reply 89
Tony Blair for introducing hype in Iraq cos he thought they had nuclear weapons

Gordon Brown for introducing fiscal rules that HE in turn broke and also for selling our gold.
All of them except Attlee and Wilson were terrible.
Original post by Ocassus
That patronising tone is meant to achieve what? This is an internet forum for constructive debate, all you have presented are childish digs and grossly misrepresented or outright fabricated evidence. You are 25 years old and from what has been shown so far, possess an argument structure more akin to that of a disgruntled ape, shout and fling poo at it until it goes away.

Ironic that you deigned to talk about 'eloquence' and then construct a sentence that doesn't make sense. What history can teach us is how to avoid the mistakes of the past, slavery was a 'mistake' in terms of morality and one that can be avoided in the future.

Hmm, well lets have a think about that shall we? Alot of women were under the impression that they couldn't vote, yes, but the patriarchal concept of society at the time included the fact that women simply weren't responsible enough/intelligent enough to vote; people actually bought that because they themselves thought they had made a rational decision to come to that. Nobody makes a decision and goes 'Herp well I am being told it therefore it is true', the process is subtler than that.
Slavery wasn't compulsory by law, what on earth are you talking about? Thousands of Greek families had slaves, they weren't necessarily rulers either, middle class would be a better term to describe them. Hell, even some of the worst off Greek Citizens would have a slave. Then you have the Spartans who simply went and conquered another country and based their entire lifestyle around the fact they had a massive amount of controlled labour to use, EVERY SPARTAN was part of that, and if you know anything about the Spartan hierarchy, their 'ruling elite' was not very elite (they referred to each other as 'the equals'). I'd even argue that it is one of the more sounder examples of a truly communistic society, even if ironically, it is built upon the backs of others. Greece never had a centralised government strong enough to impose true 'slave laws' nationwide, it was decided by the people, who thought they were doing the moral thing at the time.

Do you honestly believe an elected government can do whatever it likes? A government is reflective of the society that elects it, not the other way around.

This point you have got true, and I should rephrase that what I mean is that it is the JEWS who christened it the Holocaust, a name to describe the damage done to them.

I still want a link by the way to your British empire genocide figures.

Well I'm sorry if you don't like my tone but you're the one who began by quoting memes and telling me to shut up. Now you want to talk about 'constructive debate'? Please... Everyone can see that you're just backing down after I humiliated you and all the right-wingers utterly and completely.

Show me one example where I outright fabricated evidence? Just ONE example. I dare you.

I do agree with you that governments are reflective of society...

But riddle me this all you Cameron/tory supporters: did we have riots under the previous labour govt?

What does that tell you about our society?
Not the worst, just very mediocre like all our prime ministers have been in the last 20 years.
Reply 93
Worst: Brown and Wilson

Best: Thatcher and Major

Cameron is near average for the moment.
Reply 94
Because the tories are cutting benefits which help the poorest and most desperate people in society. Labour DID NOT do this. Tony Blair was a scumbag and a war criminal and the Labour party is filled with liars and hypocrites. We all agree on this.

But do you think that the conservatives wouldn't have deregulated the mortgage market? Of course they would have! Do you think DC wouldn't have bailed out the banks? Of course he would have!

I actually agree with most of what you say mate. I am certainly not a fan of Labour as I've said before. Perhaps I didn't express myself well enough: when I said they were more socially responsible I meant 'idealogically'. My main contention is that the tories would rather cut back on benefits that help society rather than curtail our military budget (ie sending our flagship destroyer to the falklands etc...) or increase taxes on the rich.

But that is what I'm trying to say Labours left wing home policy for votes is "idealogically" flawed and keeps poor/middle class people in a boom and bust cycle.

By pumping unsustainable money in to pretend jobs for those on the bottom rung of soceity, and giving benefits - they encourage them to create more kids who need even more help and support and are a burden on taxpayers.

This inflates house prices beyond middle class people who get into good jobs, others end up in negative equity when the bubble bursts...lives are ruined, futures lost...children put into poverty.

We must cut back on housing benefits to stop people in poverty having more kids simply to get access to better housing.

We need to stop schools teaching rubbish to "score" on Ofsted school reports or get "funding" for arts nonsense in place of maths and sciences

We must cut back on paying for people who cannot contribute to GDP and to stop people being born into poverty...

The benefit culture has to be dis-incentivized, inefficient state-run monopolies must be reformed...

The NHS is free at point of service - this means everytime someone cancels an appointment or doesn't turn up we pay £150 minimum to a consultant, if they are foreign they get a translator at £50 - £150 - we flush £200+ million down the toilet each year because we don't pass legislation to ask people to ay £50 refundable deposit for appointments and probably another £200 million because we don't get google to translate!

Things need to change to get better value for money as we face an aging population, increased global competition etc.

-

I am trying to drive the point home that if you tax the rich - they leave the UK. We are in a global marketplace, now it makes more sense to be located near China and India than Europe...

Do you have any idea how much arms we export?? £5,500 million in 2007 alone according to the ministry of defence.

The foreign aid we give is usually a sweetner for arms contracts! Its why India have turned down our aid money to deals with the Chinese!! The other reason is to protect our imports in their consumer markets...

Arms dealing is one of our key exports - of course we need to keep investing in areas which bring money INTO the UK and protect our oil interests abroad - imagine if the price of oil doubled because a foreign country closed our shipping routes??

You have to realize we all love teachers, hairdressers, plumbers, police, nurses etc - but sadly they are either in the service industry or public sector - all the money to pay for them comes in from exporters, arms dealers, bankers, oil and gas exploration companies etc...premiership football bring millions into the UK...

-

Irrespective of the party or PM these cuts would have to be made in exactly the same way - otherwise we'd be credit-downgraded and priced up on our borrowing - companies would leave the UK...

We have to cut in areas that do not affect exports or foreign investment - simple as that.

-

AS for politics and who is the best "PM" - its a team effort - Blair as much as I go on about his behaviour - I actually like!! I think he honestly tried to do his best and was a good leader!! This is widely thought and why he is still in very influential roles...Cameron is the best candidate for PM since Blair.

Clegg is a non-entity.

Gordon Brown is an idiot.

Silliband is way out of his depth - he is supposed to hold Cameron to account and put forward credible plans and alternatives - instead is talking populist rubbish to brainwash those uneducated on tax, politics and economics...last speech addressing the bankers he tried to score points with kids by saying Cameron should invest in growth and companies like Apple" - what a complete idiot.

Bear in mind all chips in Apple products are from UK Arm holdings - and we are leading the field - and what on earth has Apple got to do with banking reforms?

Labour will lose the next 2 elections, they will vote in Chuka Umunna in as leader and re-brand as "new multicultural labour" then the whole cycle will start again...!

Naive people will think "labour look after everyone" when they whip out our credit card and start spending again to create fake jobs and qualifications!! We'll think we are "better off" because we'll go and buy a big TV or go on holidays...
(edited 12 years ago)
A lot of the labour prime ministers were... MUCH worse!
I can't say that I particually like Thatcher either...
Reply 96
Well I'm sorry if you don't like my tone but you're the one who began by quoting memes and telling me to shut up. Now you want to talk about 'constructive debate'? Please... Everyone can see that you're just backing down after I humiliated you and all the right-wingers utterly and completely.

Cool beans brah is not a meme. How can I be backing down if I wrote out several paragraphs in response to you? Surely backing down involves actually conceding the argument?

Show me one example where I outright fabricated evidence? Just ONE example. I dare you.

29 million deaths as a direct result of British occupation in India for starters.

I do agree with you that governments are reflective of society...

Then all this ruling elite bs is nonsense.

But riddle me this all you Cameron/tory supporters: did we have riots under the previous labour govt?

What does that tell you about our society?

That we have a minority of inconsiderate tosspots who basically were 10% actual political demonstrators and 90% opportunist thugs give or take. (A made up figure, but it is true that atleast a substantial minority of the protestors were opportunistic, people who want to make a political statement don't steal TVs).

Characters.
Is David Cameron the worst PM ever?

No, no he is not. His government have had to make tough choices for the good of the country, I'd hate to see what Miliband would be like as PM.

Why everyone just gobbles up what the Daily Mail says is beyond me :colonhash:
Well it really depends on what you define as worse.

If you're talking about the prime minister with the least support I'd say in most recent times it'd be Gordon Brown (although I don't think he was that bad).

If we're talking about backlash and who most people seem to really hate I'd say Margaret Thatcher.

If we're talking about genuinely worse I'd personally say Thatcher,Blair and Major.

It's early days for David Cameron but blindly going ahead with all these new policies that affect young people, the poor and the sick the most and just blatantly ignoring the public's reaction isn't going to do him any favours. There are a few things I'll support him on, the fact he's focused more on Britain (from what I've seen anyway) which is an improvement on Tony Blair who was getting us all tied up in America and Iraq. Although I certainly won't be voting for him next election.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 99
A lot of my fellow lefties would argue that Thatcher would be a more appropriate recipient of this title. However, I disagree. At least Thatcher stood for something. She had principles. Even Hitler and Stalin had principles. David Cameron has no principles. He is an empty vacuous suit with no ideas of his own or convictions of any kind. He is by far the most sycophantic, shapeshifting politician I've ever seen and that's saying a lot. He's been caught lying and changing his story on virtually every single topic he's discussed from economics, to healthcare, to social issues, to foreign policy, etc... Even his own party have criticized him for this.

David Cameron has dedicated his life to wealth and power; to make the rich richer by stealing from the poor. He is a complete corporate tool. Almost every single policy he's implemented has been for the benefit of the rich and the corporations and to the detriment of the poor and the middle class.

Verdict: Worst PM EVER!

Discuss.

Never thought I'd agree with someone from the left but I do here. He's not the worst but he represents a new trend of unprincipled leaders. People that just sell out completely to maintain power and influence. Obama, promised change, ended up selling out to corporate interests. Cameron, promises deregulation but ends up bringing in new regulations that keep what are essentially corporate conglomerates like the "big 5" in gas bigger and more influential than ever, driving up prices.

Its worrying. Leaders are becoming more and more 'faceless' and corrupt, merely embodying the deep hunger of government to expand and expand at the expense of others, changing their views and policies every 5 minutes to suit public opinion and whatever new special interest happens to be lobbying at that time.

Though I believe in a Libertarian solution (not left) you make a valid point.

Check out "Ron Paul". US Presidential hopeful who is, hands down, the most honest and incorruptible politician I've ever seen; whether you agree with his views or not.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending