The Student Room Group

4 offers for MSc Econ - need help deciding

Given that UCL may reject me, I need to choose a backup from the following offers I currently hold:

MSc Economics & Financial Economics at Notts
OR
MSc Economics at Bath
OR
MSc Economics at Bristol
OR
MSc Economics at York

Only criterion is job prospects: considering economic consulting or the financial sector.

I am leaning towards notts due to the department but the overall ranking of the university is not as high as say bath. I understand this is a silly reservation but the reality is this may matter when applying for non-economics related jobs.
Reply 1
pretty much the same here. I've got an offer for MSc Economics and Financial Economics at Notts and one for Financial Economics at City University. I am seriously considering the one from City sice its in London and since a couple of the modules are located at Cass (I think?). However, at the moment I am tending towards Nottingham, simply because it has a better reputation, especially internationally. Additionally, it seems like Nottingham is not a bad place to live either. I have got rejected from UCL yet but I am not too optimistic...
What's your tendency?
I've already opened up a thread in a different sub-forum (http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1926454) and apparently banks are targeting in Nottingham, too. So job prospects should not be too bad...
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by EconsVsHumans
Given that UCL may reject me, I need to choose a backup from the following offers I currently hold:

OR
MSc Economics at Bath
OR
MSc Economics at Bristol
OR
MSc Economics at York

Only criterion is job prospects: considering economic consulting or the financial sector.

I am leaning towards notts due to the department but the overall ranking of the university is not as high as say bath. I understand this is a silly reservation but the reality is this may matter when applying for non-economics related jobs.

Bath or Notts, I'd narrow it down to.
Reply 3
Notts has the best reputation (50), followed by York (66).
Regarding Bath - people are probably confusing it with Finance, in Economics Bath is nowhere to be found, it is not even top 200:

http://ideas.repec.org/top/top.econdept.html
Reply 4

I don't want to get into a debate about methodology again :biggrin: but some of these seem strange. Brown and Boston U ahead of Michigan in economics? Really?!
[\end thread drift:wink:]
Reply 5
Original post by sj27
I don't want to get into a debate about methodology again :biggrin: but some of these seem strange. Brown and Boston U ahead of Michigan in economics? Really?!

Well, regardless of that Bath is not very good in economics.
Here is another ranking:

http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/2011/subject-rankings/social-sciences/economics

Notts and York are 51-100 group, Bath is 101-150, while Michigan is number 15 and above Brown and Boston U :wink:
Reply 6
[QUOTE="EconsVsHumans;36415324"]Given that UCL may reject me, I need to choose a backup from the following offers I currently hold:

OR
MSc Economics at Bath
OR
MSc Economics at Bristol
OR
MSc Economics at York

I am leaning towards notts due to the department but the overall ranking of the university is not as high as say bath. I understand this is a silly reservation but the reality is this may matter when applying for non-economics related jobs.[/QUOTE

Hello I am just wondering what was your average at the time of applications?

From which uni ur bachalor was?

Best Regards
Reply 7
i am planning to apply to the same of ur listed universities. would be helpful to know ther conditional offers...
Reply 8
Original post by sj27

Yeah, weird methodology.....and next month maybe you will see Southern California above Chicago :biggrin:.

Personally I prefer Tilburg's ranking because the methodology is simple: Just output for each journal. It is true that it doesn't weight impact factor, but I cannot imagine at least top 50 departments writting nonsense papers.
Reply 9
Original post by EconsVsHumans

OR
MSc Economics at Bath
OR
MSc Economics at Bristol
OR
MSc Economics at York

I would take Notts. It is even more efficient than UCL's programme for your career purposes. In UCL you only have 1 module in financial economics and is called "topics on money and finance". Probably you will learn more about financial economics in Notts than in UCL and if your goal is an IB career, then the programme will be more focused. Besides, for what I know, Notts has strong links with the industry. Well it is not in London, but you have Linkedin, On-line applications, career fairs, etc, etc. You will have to network just a bit more. Good Luck.
BTW didn't you apply to Manchester Msc. Financial Economics?. That's a good one too.

Cheers!
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending