The Student Room Group

Do you think we're too accommodating to obese people?

:facepalm2:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
There's no need to punch obese people, but I do think that obese people should be more strongly encouraged to realise that being obese is as bad (if not worse) than smoking regularly, drinking regularly, or taking illegal drugs. Obese people don't seem to realise this - I think if you're going to ban cigarette advertising, why not ban fast-food advertising? It's unfair to shun these people, the only feasible thing to do is to massively discourage obesity.
Reply 2
Can't tell if you're trolling or not...

If you're being serious, no. They should be encouraged to lose weight if it's affecting their health, definitely, but not shunned just because they apparently look 'big and ugly'. There is more to life than just looks.
Reply 3
I do think obesity is becoming too acceptable these days.
Original post by Jabberwox
Can't tell if you're trolling or not...

If you're being serious, no. They should be encouraged to lose weight if it's affecting their health, definitely, but not shunned just because they apparently look 'big and ugly'. There is more to life than just looks.

I'm being serious. Why does anybody need to be obese, and why should we tolerate it?
Original post by JOR2010
There's no need to punch obese people, but I do think that obese people should be more strongly encouraged to realise that being obese is as bad (if not worse) than smoking regularly, drinking regularly, or taking illegal drugs. Obese people don't seem to realise this - I think if you're going to ban cigarette advertising, why not ban fast-food advertising? It's unfair to shun these people, the only feasible thing to do is to massively discourage obesity.

Why not?
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
Sorry but this thread is absolutely disgusting, your parents must be so proud of you.

Disgusting in what sense?
Reply 7
Original post by carlstamford
Why not?

They've chosen to eat excessively, perhaps exercise too little, but it is their choice. If it affects us negatively, we have reason to be annoyed. But we don't really have a reason to be annoyed.

If that needs explaining to you then there really is no hope.
Troll (I hope).
Reply 9

Well why would you want to punch someone who is less fortunate than you and just because you think they look ugly? :s-smilie:
Original post by JOR2010
They've chosen to eat excessively, perhaps exercise too little, but it is their choice. If it affects us negatively, we have reason to be annoyed. But we don't really have a reason to be annoyed.

Who is to say they need or deserve that choice?

Well why would you want to punch someone who is less fortunate than you and just because you think they look ugly? :s-smilie:

Obese people are inferior, and something needs to motivate them to change.
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
If that needs explaining to you then there really is no hope.
Troll (I hope).

I don't think humans are often very accommodating of others in general. Also, all societies need a scapegoat.
Obese people are inferior, and something needs to motivate them to change.

In what sense are they inferior? I don't get it...

Their lifestyle (that is, if they choose to eat too much) only affects themselves and nobody else. You shouldn't be affected by it.

To an extent i do agree with you, disgustingly fat people waste so much NHS time money with their self inflicted ailments.

Perhaps they should be punched if they are seen buying anything other than vegetable, white meat, fruit and other healthy stuff :biggrin:
Reply 15
I wouldn't say we are particularly accommodating to obese people. The really big people probably get pointed/stared/laughed at all the time.
Reply 16
Who is to say they need or deserve that choice?

You'd rather people had no choices. I'd not be a fan of a totalitarian regime, don't know about most people, but I'm sure they'd agree.
In what sense are they inferior? I don't get it...

Their lifestyle (that is, if they choose to eat too much) only affects themselves and nobody else. You shouldn't be affected by it.

Freedom is an illusion.

They are inferior since they cannot control themselves. They should be shunned for this purpose.
Why not?

Because it's assault?

Although I'd think it was amazing if a new public health initiative was "punch a fatty" it wouldn't actually achieve anything. What would be more practical would be to ban advertising fast-food to children, make space in the primary curriculum for food education which will at at least try to break the cycle of unhealthy over-weight parents passing on their bad habits etc to their children as well as introducing legislation that nutritional information must be on all products in a standardised way so that even people who are dense when it comes to their diet can at least have the knowledge to hand and, hopefully, make informed choices.:couchpotato:
Original post by JOR2010
You'd rather people had no choices. I'd not be a fan of a totalitarian regime, don't know about most people, but I'm sure they'd agree.

Freedom is an illusion.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending