Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Metaethics: Plato's Forms

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Do you think it makes sense to say that Plato's Form exist?
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    You could easily have put all your questions in one thread, y'know.

And no, I don't think it does.

EDIT: Why do you label these threads metaethics? Plato's forms covered more than just good and justice.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Plato's Forms make sense in some respects. We cannot deny that certain rational objects have existence, such as a theoretical circle and that these objects do have superior existence to their empirical counterparts. If I see an empirical circle it will be flawed i.e. not precisely 360 degrees etc., and therefore inadequate for study. Yet mathematicians and physicists do study by contemplating higher theoretic and so we cannot merely assert that Plato's Forms don't exist because they're not visible to the naked eye – rational items have existence too. However Plato's argument falls short on numerous points, namely: is justice, or any other concept, an absolute rational concept comparative to mathematics? Most philosophers tend to answer that question with a resounding 'no'. I do think it makes sense to talk about things having rational existence; I don't think that however is a necessary justification for the Forms.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Plato's forms make no sense whatsoever.
    Okay, so there's a perfect version of everything? Okay, great plato, how do we access these forms? "oh its not a physical thing and only philosophers can access it"
    gotta be kidding me :unimpressed:
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Depends how one interprets Plato's 'forms'.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 11, 2012
New on TSR

£50 in vouchers up for grabs!!!

Post a fun fact and quote in a member to win!

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.