The Student Room Group

Will whey protein make me gain weight?

If anyone was wondering what i mean by "make me gain weight" is simply that I'm the skinny type teenager. I really want to put on some fat or even muscle.

I have now decided to buy the whey protein gold standard. Which i hope will help me gain weight any advice?

Will this help me build muscle even though I'm really skinny?

Scroll to see replies

just eat food and lots and lots of it

oh and lift heavy

SS is recommended for people like you (ectomorphs) apparently
Reply 2
Original post by Umer786
If anyone was wondering what i mean by "make me gain weight" is simply that I'm the skinny type teenager. I really want to put on some fat or even muscle.

I have now decided to buy the whey protein gold standard. Which i hope will help me gain weight any advice?

Join a gym, do starting strength (google it), eat more calories than you burn, and sleep well. It really is as simple as that.
Reply 3
Yes whey protein will help you to gain weight - it has **** loads of calories
It give you muscle if you workout a lot - weightlifting being the most effective way to gain muscle
If you don't workout you'll just gain weight in fat
Original post by Umer786

Im still wondering what you mean after your explanation. I dont see any advantgae of jsut putting on 'fat' unless youve been told you are medically undernourished.

Why not just hit the gym and take up swimming, boxing, martial arts, rugby etc regularly- as a teen you will see big improvements in your physique. You dont need to waste money on protein poweder yet, jsut eat plenty of chicken, eggs, veg, drink lots of water etc, you will get stronger and look better.
Reply 5
Original post by TableClock
Don't tell anyone what to do.

It's plainly clear that you don't have the knowledge or ability to sort out your own workout/diet - so don't try and sort out others.

Leave that to the people who know what they're talking about.

Not to be a dick but...

What do you squat/bench press/deadlift/OHP
Reply 6
Thanks for all your different opinions. Actually i have done all types of sports which include football, cricket, rugby and boxing. But don't feel it has helped me shape my body. So now i'm considering a different method which is whey protein. If anybody knows a specific whey protein, to help me gain weight, if they can reply back.
Original post by Umer786
Thanks for all your different opinions. Actually i have done all types of sports which include football, cricket, rugby and boxing. But don't feel it has helped me shape my body. So now i'm considering a different method which is whey protein. If anybody knows a specific whey protein, to help me gain weight, if they can reply back.

you're doing loads of cardio there dude

weights is the way to go if you want to add mass

oh and eat carbs but good ones (wholemeal pasta, rice, bread) quinoa etc

good fats and lots of protein

shakes arent really needed unless you cant get in enough protein from food
OP i have no idea why you negged me for my post :rolleyes:
Original post by Umer786

Hey.
Good that your interested in gaining weight. You want to gain muscle anyway, not fat, but this will be inevitable based on a proper weight gain program.

Whey protein is simply just a form of protein. Its the same as eating a steak in a serving, just without the fat and carbs depending on your brand of whey.

As above, look up Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe. It's a weight training program to start you off and make some serious muscle fast, especially since I am assuming you are a newb to weight training. Not something bad, but just a term.

Simple advice, eat more, learn more about weight gains and just don't buy a product thinking it will help you. Food is KING!

Good luck! Keep her lit!!! Boooooiiiiiii!

PS: Not by me, by muscle bound friend, YEO!
Reply 10
Original post by tinktinktinkerbell
you're doing loads of cardio there dude

weights is the way to go if you want to add mass

oh and eat carbs but good ones (wholemeal pasta, rice, bread) quinoa etc

good fats and lots of protein

shakes arent really needed unless you cant get in enough protein from food

Thats exactly what my problem is its my diet actually, Im not getting enough protein. As I'm always working concentrating on my uni work never actually get time to take a break and eat healthy food( slightly exaggerated). Not that I study 24/7.
Original post by Umer786
Thats exactly what my problem is its my diet actually, Im not getting enough protein. As I'm always working concentrating on my uni work never actually get time to take a break and eat healthy food( slightly exaggerated). Not that I study 24/7.

so make things the night before, store them in the fridge and take them to uni with you or you could eat while studying
Reply 12
Gaining weight is as simple as consuming a calorie surplus. If you're struggling with this, first of all you are a lucky bastard, but secondly you can add some maltodextrine to your post workout shake for some extra calories. 40g of maltodextrine, 30g of instant oats, 50g of protein plus two pieces of fruit postworkout, and then your normal meals throughout the day should be enough.
Reply 13
Original post by ruperts
Gaining weight is as simple as consuming a calorie surplus. If you're struggling with this, first of all you are a lucky bastard, but secondly you can add some maltodextrine to your post workout shake for some extra calories. 40g of maltodextrine, 30g of instant oats, 50g of protein plus two pieces of fruit postworkout, and then your normal meals throughout the day should be enough.

I don't really find myself to be lucky because all my mates are fit and have a good build to them, whereas I'm the tall skinny guy, makes me look quite odd. Plus i think i have a high metabolism which makes me burn calories faster than others.
I don't know about the protein your talking about but mine has about 30g of protein and about 150 calories, which isn't really much(calories).
I don't think just taking a protein supplement will result in you putting on much if any noticeable weight.
However when used as a supplement to a sensible diet the skies the limit.
Original post by Umer786
I don't really find myself to be lucky because all my mates are fit and have a good build to them, whereas I'm the tall skinny guy, makes me look quite odd. Plus i think i have a high metabolism which makes me burn calories faster than others.

what do you eat in a typical day

(i bet its more a case of not eating enough rather than having a high metabolism, usually is the former)
Reply 16
Whey protein, **** loads of meat, it all helps.

Do things like weight lifting as opposed to running, so you can bulk up muscle and retain the fat as well.
Reply 17
Whey protein shakes are meant as a supplement. They should not replace a balanced diet. (but as a supplement, they are very good).
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by Umer786

You do not want to put on Fat period.
Protein from your DIET, boosted with protein powder will make you gain muscle, excess protein is stored as fat.
If you skinny you'll still want to put on just muscle , however thats impossible, if you eat alot and alot with weight training you'll gain both anyway.

Your diet is the most important thing, its called a supplement for a reason.
Original post by Umer786

Actually, seeing as they have more muscle than you, they have "higher" metabolisms than you. You just don't eat much.

Quick Reply

Latest