The Student Room Group

Don't know which uni/s to pick for your Firm and Insurance? FAQ 2012 **here**

Scroll to see replies

I've recieved 4/4 offers for law (all conditionals) and decided that ill be firming edinburgh with either Napier or Stirling as a back up, which brings me to my question, which uni should i chose as my back up, Napier or Stirling? p.s the conditional for both uni's is a B at any subject.
Reply 61
Hey peeps
Im coming to the point where I have to decide what to choose as my firm and insurance choice to study a degree.
But out of Sheffield Hallam and university college Birmingham im stuck on which one to pick as my firm and which one to pick as my insurance.
Perhaps you guys can give me advice on what to pick whether your at one of the Uni's or your applying to one of the Uni's in terms of which universities better or which city is better or whatever :smile:
Thanks. here are the uni websites
http://www.ucb.ac.uk/home.aspx
http://www.shu.ac.uk/
:smile:
Reply 62
Which Uni should I choose? I have already been send all the 5 offers, but I can not decide, because I don't really know the system and England's schools. Please tell me your opinions on the schools, environments (nature, culture) and the course itself, if you know anything...

Marketing and management at:
Sussex
Manchester
York
Newcastle
Exeter
Reply 63
Original post by AnezkaS
Which Uni should I choose? I have already been send all the 5 offers, but I can not decide, because I don't really know the system and England's schools. Please tell me your opinions on the schools, environments (nature, culture) and the course itself, if you know anything...

Sussex
Manchester
York
Newcastle
Exeter
See the first post in this thread for advice on making up your mind.
Original post by thomaspullar1
I've recieved 4/4 offers for law (all conditionals) and decided that ill be firming edinburgh with either Napier or Stirling as a back up, which brings me to my question, which uni should i chose as my back up, Napier or Stirling? p.s the conditional for both uni's is a B at any subject.

Well Edinburgh and Stirling are both different places - you've got Edinburgh Uni as your firm, Napier would let you be in pretty much the same location in Edinburgh whereas obviously Stirling is a very different place to Edinburgh. Have you visited Stirling? Did you like it?

I would also look at the course content, optional modules and things like study abroad options (if this is of interest) as each university will offer different things. At Napier you will also be able to join Edinburgh Uni societies, so you should look into those too.
Original post by oxymoronic
Well Edinburgh and Stirling are both different places - you've got Edinburgh Uni as your firm, Napier would let you be in pretty much the same location in Edinburgh whereas obviously Stirling is a very different place to Edinburgh. Have you visited Stirling? Did you like it?

I would also look at the course content, optional modules and things like study abroad options (if this is of interest) as each university will offer different things. At Napier you will also be able to join Edinburgh Uni societies, so you should look into those too.

Hi, Thanks for your reply, I noticed you studied at Edinburgh so your input will be very useful! I didn't visit Stirling or Napier but intend to go to post offer days to help make my decision, I live in Fife which is somewhat geographically and socially similar to Stirling (which is a negative as I'm not a huge fan of fife :frown:)

I'm quite outgoing and am sure I would much prefer the city life Napier allows, however looking at their course details the course looks very business related and as a result I much prefer Stirlings course. I've heard so much negativity over Stirling's accomodation aswell and I don't think any of my friends plan on going. However my offer for Edinburgh -which I am visiting tomorrow is very generous and I should look to achieve what they expect so I shouldn't strain too much over my back-up decision.
Reply 66
I don't know if my question really fits in here, but does anyone know whether it is possible to delay my reply deadline? I will just have written my tests by may 11th. Immediately after, i will come to the uk to visit my choices and I would not really like to make a choice without even having seen my choices. So is it by any means possible to delay the deadline for two weeks?
Original post by bionado
I don't know if my question really fits in here, but does anyone know whether it is possible to delay my reply deadline? I will just have written my tests by may 11th. Immediately after, i will come to the uk to visit my choices and I would not really like to make a choice without even having seen my choices. So is it by any means possible to delay the deadline for two weeks?

If you get all of your replies by 31st March then your deadline is your deadline. If you don't reply to your offers by your deadline date then UCAS will reject your offers on your behalf so then you will lose them. If a deadline were negotiable then it wouldn't be much of a deadline, would it?

However if you don't get all of your replies by 31st March then you will have until June to make a decision, so then it will be fine for you.
Still can't seem to make my mind up between SOAS and Queen Mary. I've got a conditional offer for Economics and Politics at both, but I'm not really sure which one I should firm. Seeing as QMUL will soon become a member of the Russell Group, should that alter my decision? :colondollar:
Reply 69
I've got accepted to both London College of Communication and Goldsmiths for the BA course "Media and Communications". I don't know which one to choose? Help please!
What if you've got offers for two courses at the same university and can't decide which to firm, which to insure. Can you switch them before 16th August?
Original post by don'tTRIP.
Still can't seem to make my mind up between SOAS and Queen Mary. I've got a conditional offer for Economics and Politics at both, but I'm not really sure which one I should firm. Seeing as QMUL will soon become a member of the Russell Group, should that alter my decision? :colondollar:

lol of course, the russell group is EVERYTHING. Literally going to a university that isn't in it, is just a waste of your money and 3 years...:congrats:

I'm joking, go a revisit them, I'm sure there will be distinct differences between the two. I'd personally go for QMUL, not for the RG 'status' symbol, but because it's bigger and less Oriental and African focussed, I suppose your modules will be broader at QMUL
Reply 72
Original post by accountant-future
It's a weird scenario, my fave uni is the one which asks for the least number of UCAS points to get in, so if I firm that then my insurance will not even matter (as if I fail to get into my firm, my insurance will obvioiusly reject me too - since they ask for a higher number of points)

I'm certain that the uni i want to go to is that one, I've researched other aspects such as accommodation and how to get to/from places/landmarks etc, should I just firm that and put another random one as insurance?

Same for my daughter a few years ago. She just put down her favourite as her firm. Her insurance was actually miles above this in terms of grades asked for but it didn't really matter as she got her first choice.

:smile:
Reply 73
Original post by Passgurkan
I've got accepted to both London College of Communication and Goldsmiths for the BA course "Media and Communications". I don't know which one to choose? Help please!

Goldsmiths as I keep hearing rumours that LCC is in the middle of a bit of a restructuring of courses at the moment and I'd want to avoid that myself. Besides Goldsmiths is great.
Reply 74
Original post by AnezkaS

Sussex
Manchester
York
Newcastle
Exeter

I can't comment on the courses as I know little about those departments themselves. To get a good idea of courses its useful to look on-line at each module in depth and the things they cover and to see if one department/course appeals to you above another.

I do not know Newcastle or Manchester well. They are quite large cities in the North of England. Manchester is famous for its night life and clubs.

Sussex university is in a pleasant location on the green land just above Brighton. Brighton is known for being a liberal, arty and interesting town which students enjoy and can be reached easily enough from the university.

Exeter is on a lovely campus which often wins awards/accolades. It is a friendly, relaxed place which international students seem to enjoy. There is a new resource building to support international students. The university has invested a lot of money recently and its facilities are excellent. It is about to join the Russell group of universities and has a very good academic reputation. Its library is open 24/7 which is unusual for British universities. It has a second campus in Cornwall so check which one you are going to. Most students attend the Streatham Campus in Exeter (approx 15,000 students with 4,000 international included)

The city itself is small and serves a rural area. It is pleasant and safe. There is a railway station just next to the campus and you can get a train to Bristol if you would like a bigger city on occasion for shopping, theatres and entertainment (takes 45mins) or London within two hours. You can also reach the coast in about twenty minutes or so.

York is also about to join the Russell group and although I do not know it well myself students report that they enjoy the city and university.

:smile: Good luck choosing.
(edited 12 years ago)
History

Bristol (AAB) is going to be my firm, with Southampton (AAB)or Reading (ABB) as my insurance... The prospect of having the same grades sounds stupid, but I'd rather have two unis that I actually want to go to!
Quick question, if I get accepted by both my firm and insurance, can I reject/switch my firm? :colondollar:
Original post by TonyH663
History

Bristol (AAB) is going to be my firm, with Southampton (AAB)or Reading (ABB) as my insurance... The prospect of having the same grades sounds stupid, but I'd rather have two unis that I actually want to go to!

True, likelihood of So'ton accepting you with lower grades are next to nothing though, but no point in having Reading if you don't want to go there. Just get AAB :smile:
Original post by sarah1345
True, likelihood of So'ton accepting you with lower grades are next to nothing though, but no point in having Reading if you don't want to go there. Just get AAB :smile:

I thought Bristol would have given me a higher offer, so soton was going to be my insurance anyway, but I might not even have one, definitely think I can get AAB :smile:

What are you firming/insuring? and for what subject?
Original post by TonyH663
I thought Bristol would have given me a higher offer, so soton was going to be my insurance anyway, but I might not even have one, definitely think I can get AAB :smile:

What are you firming/insuring? and for what subject?

Deciding between History straight and History and Economics at Manchester :/ Can't decide what I want to do. lol. Well done on Bristol, notoriously hard to get an offer from them

Quick Reply

Latest