Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

I don't understand guns...

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    .... Guns are cool. End of.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mysteries)
    The only time an amendment was repealed was when people finally realized that prohibition was retarded.

If you tried to repeal the second amendment you'd have a bunch of rednecks shooting cops and govt officials.
    My point is that an amendment is a change.
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hevlar.kelmet)
    So? There are plenty of awful countries where guns are illegal.

Have you considered that law abiding citizens are totally unable to defend themselves should someone attack them? Someone said just call the police, but by the time the police get there the crime will be long over.

I myself have been in several violent encounters and in none of them did the police arrive until well afterwards. What if they had a knife? How should I defend myself?

Should I just let myself get stabbed/beaten/strangled while I wait for the police?
    There are other ways to fight back - most people would just kill the attackers/criminals if given a gun.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    "Guns don't kill people, people kill people"

I lived in Alaska for 7 years, I felt safer walking around at night there than I do in Britain.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vazzyb)
    I don't understand guns...
    People often fear what they don't understand.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mevidek)
    There are other ways to fight back - most people would just kill the attackers/criminals if given a gun.
    I don't think many people are keen on shooting people if they can help. If you had a robber at gunpoint with him at your mercy, would you shoot? Or would you wait for the police to get there since the robber can't do anything?

Also I am very interested in these other ways of fighting back, would you mind telling me about them? And are they applicable to the elderly or disabled members of society?
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hevlar.kelmet)
    I don't think many people are keen on shooting people if they can help. If you had a robber at gunpoint with him at your mercy, would you shoot? Or would you wait for the police to get there since the robber can't do anything?

Also I am very interested in these other ways of fighting back, would you mind telling me about them? And are they applicable to the elderly or disabled members of society?
    1. I'd shoot them in the knees so that they'd be incapable of doing any damage to me or my property. I doubt that people wouldn't use the gun if they had one (most people would kill them if possible)
    2. I'm not going to tell you how to use self-defence; a quick google search would do that for you.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I shoot regularly as a sport, but all of the rifles are locked up and in a pretty damn resistant container. I wouldn't feel safe in Britain if guns were as readily available like I believe they are in America. Surely people would get shot more.
    If people have the gun, they would be more inclined to use it, and they can't use what they don't have.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Battenberg)
    It's their country, if they want the right to shoot each other that's their choice, it's not like we could wouldstop them anyway.
    sorry i saw a typo.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    This is more about a question I had, rather than a debate as such.

So the number of deaths by shootings in the United States is around 40 times higher than in the UK (USA: 4.1 per 100,000 compared to UK: 0.07 per 100,000) and the total murder rate is also 4 times higher (USA: 4.8 per 100,000 compared to UK: 1.2 per 100,000)...

So how the hell can countries like the USA continue to legalise carrying firearms?! It just seems completely absurd to me.

Forgive me if my thinking is over-simplistic; that guns lead to murders. Clearly if you don't have to access to a gun, you'd use another method and that's reflected in the statistics...but surely the fact that there are 4 times as many murders in the USA is, at least, partly attributable to guns?

Is it just political pressure from gun companies that keeps them legalised?

Vb
    we also legalize carrying guns here in the uk by the way its just america legalize everyone where as we like to pretend we don't legalize it so nobody will come looking for a license
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Is this meant to be a bad thing?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ye buh, what if those damned cotton picking, chino-russian commies comes over here?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't see the value of opening this can of worms. Making them widely available is likely to precipitate a corresponding rise in gun-related crime. The socioeconomic causes of crime will still be there, but superinducing this will be guns amongst these criminal agents.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    X
    Alcohol kills thousands every year and yet it's still legal. Not saying you're wrong, it's just there is more to it.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    This is more about a question I had, rather than a debate as such.

So the number of deaths by shootings in the United States is around 40 times higher than in the UK (USA: 4.1 per 100,000 compared to UK: 0.07 per 100,000) and the total murder rate is also 4 times higher (USA: 4.8 per 100,000 compared to UK: 1.2 per 100,000)...

So how the hell can countries like the USA continue to legalise carrying firearms?! It just seems completely absurd to me.

Forgive me if my thinking is over-simplistic; that guns lead to murders. Clearly if you don't have to access to a gun, you'd use another method and that's reflected in the statistics...but surely the fact that there are 4 times as many murders in the USA is, at least, partly attributable to guns?

Is it just political pressure from gun companies that keeps them legalised?

Vb

That's true , although they also have a different culture to us which is maybe why there are more murders. Also the ownership of a gun is deeply embedded in American culture, so i'm pretty sure it'd be hard to get rid off, never mind the ever present pressure of the gun lobbys
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    America has a different attitude towards guns and they view it as a constitutional right, for self defence and so on.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    The logic behind the constitutional right to bear arms is sound, especially given historical context. It would be impossible for a foreign military to occupy a country where every citizen was a potential threat. More importantly an armed populace exercises a powerful restraining factor on the ability of governments to tyrannize their subjects.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DynamicSyngery)
    Is this meant to be a bad thing?
    Of course it's a bad thing - killing someone is almost always bad.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Of course it's a bad thing - killing someone is almost always bad.
    Was it bad to kill Nazi German soldiers in WWII? The justification would seem to be the same.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: February 21, 2012
New on TSR

A-level results day

Is it about making your parents proud?

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.