Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hey Super students, are you naturally intelligent or just have a big memory because??

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I'm not a super student :/ I just happen to be good at maths related subjects. Why?
    I honestly don't know, but I've just always been good at maths.

NB: I suck really badly at anything requiring explaining/interpreting/drawing etc. such as art/english/history/other arts subjects.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by translucent)
    you're lying :naughty: you secretly revised your ass off, I've met people like you, who say they don't care, it's BS :boring:
    Actually I am not, I've just got a good memory for random facts an information. Also I find fear proves invaluable when learning. Some people never really get 'scared' before an exam, something which I get tremendously so. As I said, I figure I've got a fairly photographic memory. Reading a textbook when your scared about an exam just before you sit it seems like a pretty good idea, revising 3 months before the exam when your not bothered about it, is not. Somewhere in between is ideal, I left it a bit late but thankfully it worked out ok. Besides, luck with exam questions is just as responsible as anything else.

Regards French, how one is generally supposed to prepare for listening and reading examinations is somewhat difficult, that was one of the As anyway.

Anyway, why the hell would I lie anonymously on the internet, it's not like I'd gain anything from it.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I wake up 6am in the morning and go for an hour run.
    Then have a breakfast of raw fish and eat 2 raw eggs
    then spend an hour reciting the whole chinese alphabet..

of course I'm kidding...

I can't really claim to be particularly intelligent, I'm a master procrastinator and sometimes can't bear to look at work.

But I have a tendency to be able to get on with the work if necessary and once "wired in" I have a hard time getting out. This is probably one of the reasons for my reasonable grades at GCSE...

Just like so many people have posted, I think intelligence is somewhat genetic.. but whether you reach your potential or not is down to your attitude and whether you work hard enough. Very few of us are born geniuses, but I don't think it's productive to sit back, watching people succeed and wonder whether you could have done the same...

If you're worried about whether you're smart enough to get "good grades" or get in to a "good university", I say stop wondering and think about what you really want to do, because you'll only succeed if you put the work in, and you'll only put the work in if you are doing what you love to do..
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I've found that I do well because I seem to have this immense fear of failure. I hate letting people and down and most of all myself and so I'm driven to do the very best I possibly can in everything, not just academic work.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nick2012)
    Not saying I'm one of those "super students" but when I've always just found that I can remember things after just reading them once or twice, so I've never really had to revise for exams to get the results I've got. I suppose I'm just lucky to have a good memory and to be able to understand things easily.

Diet and exercise? What are these things? Jokes, I don't think that's got anything to do with my grades...
    Actually no, apart from the studies done to confirm that exercise and diet boost brain power, have a logical think about why exercise can increase intelligence!
    • 31 followers

ReputationRep:
    As Minerva would say...

Sheer dumb luck
    Attached Thumbnails
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	McGonagall.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	26.2 KB 
ID:	132550  
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Tbh It's sheer determination in my opinion (& I strongly believe this) that if you were so determined into succeed you can start from bottom set yr10 in maths to A* A level further maths it's just it's much harder and if you look at children in my yr the people who are in the lower sets tend to be confined and therefore much less motivated + all those sacrifices I don't like that... And also your early foundations is KEY
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aspirinpharmacist)
    As Minerva would say...

Sheer dumb luck
    lol!

I really am interested in those who have posted about finding maths really easy, and 'i dont know why' comes up a lot. Do you see patterns none of us see? You see something we dont see!!! lol

Oh how i wish i could improve my maths...

Thanks to everyone who has posted. Seems none many people have a learning strategy like a first thought...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hardwork and making sure your healthy with sleep and dieting is the way forward!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's partly nature, and partly nurture.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lorem Ipsum)
    Actually I am not, I've just got a good memory for random facts an information. Also I find fear proves invaluable when learning. Some people never really get 'scared' before an exam, something which I get tremendously so. As I said, I figure I've got a fairly photographic memory. Reading a textbook when your scared about an exam just before you sit it seems like a pretty good idea, revising 3 months before the exam when your not bothered about it, is not. Somewhere in between is ideal, I left it a bit late but thankfully it worked out ok. Besides, luck with exam questions is just as responsible as anything else.

Regards French, how one is generally supposed to prepare for listening and reading examinations is somewhat difficult, that was one of the As anyway.

Anyway, why the hell would I lie anonymously on the internet, it's not like I'd gain anything from it.
    that's why :lol: and you might not gain anything physical but an ego boost, you're in denial?...
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by translucent)
    that's why :lol: and you might not gain anything physical but an ego boost, you're in denial?...
    Meh, I don't care enough to feed the trolls any more.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Some people are just naturally gifted. I knew a guy at uni that could sit through a 2 hour lecture, understand and remember it with literally not effort.

I'd have to go home, read all my notes and try to decipher wtf he was talking about.

People can compensate for their lack of superhuman memory with self control and hard work, but being able to revise and get work done in good time is an extraordinary talent in itself imo.

I think the only thing that kept my grades respectable was the high standard I set myself.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nick2012)
    Not saying I'm one of those "super students" but when I've always just found that I can remember things after just reading them once or twice, so I've never really had to revise for exams to get the results I've got. I suppose I'm just lucky to have a good memory and to be able to understand things easily.

Diet and exercise? What are these things? Jokes, I don't think that's got anything to do with my grades...
    I know someone like you. I'm so jealous! I'd die to be able to remember everything just by reading it a few times.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    This seems relevant:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lr8sVailoLw

Being able to related to things, so you understand it helps a lot. It means you don't really have to learn a lot, as you just /get/ it.

You can get there by memorising as sammy-lou suggests, but if you're given a question that's applied to a weird situation, you'll be screwed.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's 100% we can all agree on that...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I would say that I have a good memory, but I wouldn't claim to be a 'super student'. Probably because I'm only taking Core Science (careers in medicine and science are forever gone ), although I'm good at Maths, getting a B in the exam in November and hoping to achieve an A or A* in the March exam . I find the arts subjects particularly easy, especially History (which I love). When I learn a structure, I'll easily remember it for the exam. But for me, this alone won't get me the top marks. Revising does help prepare for exams, but I have never revised very early for the exam or for as long; I tend to revise most of it the week before and I can achieve a solid A and sometimes an A*. Then again, this is GCSE I'm talking about, it doesn't get difficult until A level :rolleyes: (so I've heard).
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    i wouldn't consider myself a 'super student' but i recently got an offer to study medicine so if its someone like me your wondering about i always enjoyed learning new things and developments in science, when i was young, and still now which means i read quite a bit about science and still do. also my parents encouraged me to study from a young age which i think helped me in the long run. i also enjoy puzzles and iq tests etc. which makes it a lot easier to find patterns. i see maths and chemisty equations and theories as a series of patterns. biology requires more memory but i still see patterns. i dont have a good long term memory but in psychology we found that i had a better than average short term memory because i could recall 11 digits after they had been read out (the average is 7+/-2 digits) which could have come from studying as a child. Also, with revision i find that explaining things that ive learnt to people and doing past papers to apply my knowledge helps things go in and stay there.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm definitely not a "super student", but I did pretty well at GCSE (hopefully that continues this year at AS). I think, as someone else said, writing subjects rely a lot on your style, your structure and just generally the impression you give. You can write a complete load of rubbish (for example, writing really 'out-there' interpretations in essays for English), and as long as you write it in a sophisticated manner, you tend to scoop up the marks. It also really helps with other essay based subjects such as geography, history, RE, etc.

I actually can't stand writing essays and stuff though. I'm doing chemistry and biology and it takes a lot of work on my part because I only feel comfortable going into exams if I know the material back to front, and can basically just recite it. Not good. I love maths though in that once it 'clicks' everything just seems to straightforward!
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm average

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 1, 2012
New on TSR

Naughtiest thing you did at school

Did you get away with it or were you punished?

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.