The Student Room Group

Saudi Arabia: No female athletes at London 2012

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/16/sports/olympics/olympic-ban-on-saudi-arabia-is-urged-over-lack-of-female-athletes.html

So, do you think SA should be kept out of the Olympics unless they allow females ?

Scroll to see replies

Dunno, they're going to have to catch up with the civilised world one of these days. Maybe this will be an incentive to not be backward.
Reply 2
They dont let women take part in the olympics?! Wow.
Reply 3
There's no ban... Because of cultural restrictions their woman aren't good enough to compete in the olympics, that's all. Can't have positive discrimination can we? So just let them be...
Original post by Veale
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/16/sports/olympics/olympic-ban-on-saudi-arabia-is-urged-over-lack-of-female-athletes.html

So, do you think SA should be kept out of the Olympics unless they allow females ?

I'm not surprised.
Apparently letting women drive and play sports would take the "virginity" (Euphemism for backwardness) away from the country... :facepalm2:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by bob247
There's no ban... Because of cultural restrictions their woman aren't good enough to compete in the olympics, that's all. Can't have positive discrimination can we? So just let them be...

Its nothing to do with "their woman aren't good enough to compete in the olympics" The olympics was setup with a mind that every country would send their athletes - there are lots of countires athletes in certain disciplines that arnt great - but they still come that is the spirit of Olympics. The spirt is not " we ban our women from international competition" Aparthied South africa was banned form various international sports because they wouldnt allow black africans to compete for their country - whats the difference here?
Although in theory, if no Saudi women wishes to be an athlete then it's not like you can force a team that doesn't want to compete.
Reply 7
why should they be banned for this? whilst we may not agree with it it is their culture and who are we to tell them what to do?
Original post by Snagprophet
Although in theory, if no Saudi women wishes to be an athlete then it's not like you can force a team that doesn't want to compete.

saudi has female athletes lke female riders- according to that link , jus theyre not allowed in international competition for SA i reckon. I doubt certainly that the would actually ever allow a female international runner (unless they covered he in some sort of running burkha?)
Reply 9
This is so wrong, i assume the saudi government don't want them to see what freedom actualy is...
Go live in Saudi for a couple of years. It really isn't as bad as people think it is. I would know, I lived there for three years and have lived in other middle eastern countries. Yeah it's more conservative than Qatar/Bahrain/UAE but you can't compare it to a Taliban village etc. Unless you've actually been there and stayed there for a reasonable amount of time I wouldn't go make assumptions about a place.
Original post by laughylolly
Go live in Saudi for a couple of years. It really isn't as bad as people think it is. I would know, I lived there for three years and have lived in other middle eastern countries. Yeah it's more conservative than Qatar/Bahrain/UAE but you can't compare it to a Taliban village etc. Unless you've actually been there and stayed there for a reasonable amount of time I wouldn't go make assumptions about a place.

Whereabouts were you when you were there?
Original post by AkaJetson
Whereabouts were you when you were there?

I lived in Al Khobar/Dhahran in the Eastern province. Also visited Riyadh a few times whilst I was there.
Saudi Arabia is a deeply conservative country. We might not like the way women are treated as second class citizens there, but there isn't a thing we can do about it. The vast majority of the country's men want things to stay the way they are and we have no way of imposing liberal values on Saudi culture.
Original post by jasond567
This is so wrong, i assume the saudi government don't want them to see what freedom actualy is...

It's wrong by western morals but not to Saudi morals. Women there can't even drive cars.
To be honest Riyadh is a lot more conservative than the rest of the country. I lived in the Eastern Province and it's not so bad there. I think it's not so bad in Jeddah either (from what I've heard from friends that lived there).

It's the same with the UAE. Some parts of the UAE are actually quite conservative then you have Dubai which is probably the least conservative place in the gulf.
Reply 16
Original post by Clumsy_Chemist
Saudi Arabia is a deeply conservative country. We might not like the way women are treated as second class citizens there, but there isn't a thing we can do about it. The vast majority of the country's men want things to stay the way they are and we have no way of imposing liberal values on Saudi culture.

Of course. Who are we to judge? What, just because we value equality, human rights and freedom, are we silly enough to think that we should look down on Saudi culture? I mean, just because the treatment of women in their culture is disgusting, immoral and evil, does that necessarily make it wrong? I mean, it's cultural, so hey, let's not judge!
Reply 17
Awful country.
Reply 18
Original post by Ferdowsi
Awful country.

Just like any other country in the area, apart from Israel.
Original post by Politricks
I'm not surprised.
Apparently letting women drive and play sports is taking the "virginity" (I assume it's euphemism in Saudi for ... turning your back on backwardness) away from the country... :facepalm2:

Most of these women must feel like they've been ****ed over....

Either way they've lost their virginity...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending