Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I don't quite get Englands Cricket performance of late...

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Whitewashed India in the tests, they beat us in ODI.

Pakistan Whitewash us in the Tests we beat them in the ODI...

What is going on?

I'm looking for a common thread here :confused:
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    matchfixing
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by martin jol)
    matchfixing
    :eek:
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GunnerBill)
    Whitewashed India in the tests, they beat us in ODI.

Pakistan Whitewash us in the Tests we beat them in the ODI...

What is going on?

I'm looking for a common thread here :confused:
    When you whitewashed India, England were playing at home. Eng had the advantage, India were clueless on how to play English conditions.

Then England came to India, and were clueless in contrasting Indian conditions. Hence whitewashed.

Pakistan whitewashed Eng as they had England once again in foreign conditions, and Pak have an extremely strong Test squad. Their bowlers are just too good.

However, Pak do not have the same ability in ODI's as their Test and ODI squad are very similar, and they have not learned to adjust the way they play from Tests to ODIs.

Think that sums it up...*breathes deep breath in*
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ♥ ♥ ♥)
    When you whitewashed India, England were playing at home. Eng had the advantage, India were clueless on how to play English conditions.

Then England came to India, and were clueless in contrasting Indian conditions. Hence whitewashed.

Pakistan whitewashed Eng as they had England once again in foreign conditions, and Pak have an extremely strong Test squad. Their bowlers are just too good.

However, Pak do not have the same ability in ODI's as their Test and ODI squad are very similar, and they have not learned to adjust the way they play from Tests to ODIs.

Think that sums it up...*breathes deep breath in*
    You can't breath and type at the same time? lol

If there's ever a test world cup the choice of venue will be critical? Perhaps teams would prepare better in the host country before such a competition.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:

If there's ever a test world cup the choice of venue will be critical? Perhaps teams would prepare better in the host country before such a competition.
    Lol, just noticed that. Felt like I'd spoken my entire post, rather than typing it

To be honest, most nations right now know how to play at home, succeed, and then epically fail abroad. Like India, get white washed in England, then almost whitewash WI at home, and then get whitewashed in Aus :facepalm:

Same with England, they are fabulous at home, but fail in the subcontinent.

Yes, if it happened, all the teams would be at a disadvantage other than the host nation
    Tricky stuff!
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    I believe England have to really strengthen their squad in sub-continental conditions... They have beaten Pakistan in the ODIs but that is because Pakistan have not really got as good a side in ODIs compared to test matches. I think England really need to practice in conditions like the sub-continent to improve their overall game significantly
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    England cant face quality spin bowling, thats the main problem and that was the reason why you got whitewashed against pakistan. I was sooo unhappy about Indias performance in england but you played much better cricket and your batting line up was in form.
    Also you had over 2 months off before coming to the UAE to play pakistan so you were a bit rusty. Every team is weak away from home in world cricket at the moment, England go to Sri Lanka next which will be a test of if they have learnt from their mistakes against Pakistan in the test matches.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:

There will never be a test world cup, but if and when there is a test championship final, it will have to be split over both finalist's home venues. So if it was England (1) vs Australia (2), it would be:

Lords, Trent Bridge, The Oval
    MCG, WACA, SCG

etc etc

with the first team to 3 victories winning the series.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ♥ ♥ ♥)
    Lol, just noticed that. Felt like I'd spoken my entire post, rather than typing it

To be honest, most nations right now know how to play at home, succeed, and then epically fail abroad. Like India, get white washed in England, then almost whitewash WI at home, and then get whitewashed in Aus :facepalm:

Same with England, they are fabulous at home, but fail in the subcontinent.

Yes, if it happened, all the teams would be at a disadvantage other than the host nation
    Tricky stuff!
    But it's not like cricket is a new sport or teams are only just playing each other for the first time. There have been only ten test nations for ages (if Zimbabwe still is one) and they've all played against each other loads of times. Pietersen, Anderson, Bell and Strauss especially, being veterans of the squad, should know what England would be up against. And then you got the backroom staff as well. It's pathetic!
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pol pot noodles)
    But it's not like cricket is a new sport or teams are only just playing each other for the first time. There have been only ten test nations for ages (if Zimbabwe still is one) and they've all played against each other loads of times. Pietersen, Anderson, Bell and Strauss especially, being veterans of the squad, should know what England would be up against. And then you got the backroom staff as well. It's pathetic!
    Yes, I agree they should know what they're up against, but think about it from another prospective.

All of the above have played majority of their cricket at home, or in Aus (Ashes), so they'll be used to, and will have adapted to the conditions of the two countries. How often in the last decade have Eng played in the subcontinent? How many games have the above mentioned players played away from home?

Its the exact same (if not worse) for a team like India. Who have a physical inability to play out of India.
    • 24 followers

ReputationRep:
    ODI is fake cricket.

Test cricket is all that counts.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    The home team always wins in test cricket!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: February 24, 2012
New on TSR

GCSE mocks revision

Talk study tips this weekend

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.