Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Pros and Cons of living in Manchester?

Announcements Posted on
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I'm considering firming Manchester Uni and want to know what it's like to live there, what the good things are and what the downsides are in terms of nightlife, cost, variety, etc.. thanks
    • 27 followers

ReputationRep:
    Pros:
    Masses of nightlife. I always thought Bristol was good. Then I came to Manc.
    Curry mile - cheap ethnic supermarkets galore
    Great bus service between town, uni and Fallowfield, 24/7

Cons:
    Fallowfield is the best student area to live in, but it is a 20 minute bus ride / 15 minute cycle away (door-to-door). Don't let the journey put you off Fallowfield though!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Origami Bullets)
    15 minute cycle away (door-to-door). Don't let the journey put you off Fallowfield though!
    Damn, your slow Only messing of course

I agree with Origami Bullets, its a tedious bus ride from fallowfield to the uni.
    Especially at peak times for lectures. Its taken me well over 40 minutes on the bus in the past, which is just ridiculous considering its not really that far. The congestion around the curry mile in insane!

Another thing I've found pretty hard is the lack of countryside within walking distance. Granted, Im used to living in North wales - Slap bang in the middle of the countryside. I never thought I'd miss it but I really, really have. That will depend on where your from what your used to though.

But to be honest, thats all I can complain about in terms of Manchester!
    • 27 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lonelykatana)
    Quite possibly

In all fairness, I know people who make it in from Withington in 11 minutes - it's just that I don't like to break a sweat (nothing to do with me being desperately unfit, not at all), so there may have been occasions when I've been overtaken by someone with grey hair
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Is this a trick question? You want pros of living in Manchester? Have you seen Shameless???

#Juskidding
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Origami Bullets)
    x
    x
    Thank you!! Is it quite expensive to live in Manchester? Are people friendly in the city, or is it anonymous like London?
    And do they really dislike southerners? I live in south Wales but originally from London so I have quite a southern accent haha
    • 27 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flume)
    Thank you!! Is it quite expensive to live in Manchester? Are people friendly in the city, or is it anonymous like London?
    And do they really dislike southerners? I live in south Wales but originally from London so I have quite a southern accent haha
    I don't find it particularly expensive to live here - £50pw + rent & bills does me for all the standard stuff (food, clothes, a night out etc.), but if there's something extra (e.g. bike needs fixing, or something expensive and society-related, trip home etc. etc.) then it will be more. Probably the only thing that is more expensive here than at home (Bristol) is going out - everywhere charges a fiver entry here - you'll sometimes even find regular pubs charging entry - no matter the night of the week, whereas they only charge entry on Fri / Sat nights in Bristol, and certainly never for a pub! I tend to budget £10 for a night out - £5 for drinks, £5 entry, plus some prinks.

There is a massive 'student bubble' effect here - you don't see non-students in Fallowfield (it's basically a student ghetto) - even in the supermarkets and bars, all the staff are students. In fact, it would be entirely possible for you to go an entire year without ever talking to a Mancunian, with the exception of your cleaner in halls. Thus, I can't really say that I've had many problems with the locals - honestly, I've had more banter from my (northern) mum about being southern than I've had from the locals here.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:

I agree with Origami Bullets, its a tedious bus ride from fallowfield to the uni.
    Especially at peak times for lectures. Its taken me well over 40 minutes on the bus in the past, which is just ridiculous considering its not really that far. The congestion around the curry mile in insane!

Another thing I've found pretty hard is the lack of countryside within walking distance. Granted, Im used to living in North wales - Slap bang in the middle of the countryside. I never thought I'd miss it but I really, really have. That will depend on where your from what your used to though.

But to be honest, thats all I can complain about in terms of Manchester!
    If you're looking for countryside, go to Picadilly gardens and find the 184 bus, it goes to a place in the hills called Uppermill and is really lovely and hilly and grassy :]] lol

(Original post by flume)
    We don't dislike southeners lol, you might just get people asking you to repeat things cos they find your accent funny :/
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flume)
    No-one will care. As you'll be mostly interacting with students, you'll find many are southerners...

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: February 26, 2012
New on TSR

Moving on from GCSEs

What advice would you give someone starting A-levels?

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered North of England Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.