Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

New band here

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    Get ready for some seriously shameless self-plugging. I'm the lead singer/guitarist of The Social Lights, I'm also an English expat of about 15 years. We've been around in the Western Canadian scene for a little while now with good responses but seeing as the indie punk/rock scene is nearly dead here it's hard to see yourself going far. Anyways, I've finally convinced my bandmate (it's just the 2 of us, him on drums) to come with me to Barnstaple and try our luck with the English scene. Just wanting to ask a few questions out of pure curiosity.... 1) Is the scene still as alive and kicking as I think it is in England, and 2) Do you think we're any good/stand a chance?

http://thesociallights.tumblr.com

Cheers
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Lad's. Here's the deal.
    I run a record label, and I can offer you a recording contract.
    I can sell cd's/downloads, and we can all make money from tours.
    I am willing to give you guys a shot, if you are willing to take it.
    Obviously I realise you'll want to look through paperwork/rules/t&c's, and talk with eachother, so that can be arranged.
    I am based just outside of barnstaple, so that would be handy for you.
    Let me know yeah?
    I'm setting up the website slowly, and I'm currently working with RAINBOW who is just about to release his first single.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iud4T...&feature=g-upl

Our motto is do what you love and love what you do.

At the end of the day, what have you got to lose?
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    don't trust record labels who put apostrophes in "Lad's" and "cd's"
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by memomemootoo)
    don't trust record labels who put apostrophes in "Lad's" and "cd's"
    I was always taught if there is more than one you put an apostrophe, but hey, don't trust the person who doesn't put capitals, or full stops. :P
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I do love seeing a grammar nazi get burned
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    :unimpressed:

(Original post by OriginalRecordings)
    I was always taught if there is more than one you put an apostrophe, but hey, don't trust the person who doesn't put capitals, or full stops. :P
    You were taught wrong.

(Original post by Left Hand Drive)
    I do love seeing a grammar nazi get burned
    You failed to place a full stop at the end of your sentence.

:bl:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    :unimpressed:

You were taught wrong.

You failed to place a full stop at the end of your sentence.

:bl:
    I wasn't taught wrong. I was taught incorrectly to the same way that you were taught. Technically it still counts as correct grammar but is spelled and viewed differently because the dialect got placed into the terminology.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    I wasn't taught wrong. I was taught incorrectly to the same way that you were taught. Technically it still counts as correct grammar but is spelled and viewed differently because the dialect got placed into the terminology.
    :unimpressed: ..sorry i must be too retarded to even understand that..
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    :unimpressed: ..sorry i must be too retarded to even understand that..
    It appears so my fellow being.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Who taught you that? Why on Earth would you write "lads" if there was only one lad? :rolleyes:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1stChoiceWasInUse)
    Hi,
    Get ready for some seriously shameless self-plugging. I'm the lead singer/guitarist of The Social Lights, I'm also an English expat of about 15 years. We've been around in the Western Canadian scene for a little while now with good responses but seeing as the indie punk/rock scene is nearly dead here it's hard to see yourself going far. Anyways, I've finally convinced my bandmate (it's just the 2 of us, him on drums) to come with me to Barnstaple and try our luck with the English scene. Just wanting to ask a few questions out of pure curiosity.... 1) Is the scene still as alive and kicking as I think it is in England, and 2) Do you think we're any good/stand a chance?

http://thesociallights.tumblr.com

Cheers
    Music is quite good, but vocals not brilliant imo.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    How many thousands of bands are there in the world who do music like this?

Try and be original, it's the only way forward these days, because everything has been done, 1000 times already.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tycho)
    Who taught you that? Why on Earth would you write "lads" if there was only one lad? :rolleyes:
    You wouldn't! *sigh* That's why the apostrophe is there! To signify more than one lad!
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    It appears so my fellow being.
    I was being sarcastic.

You wouldn't! *sigh* That's why the apostrophe is there! To signify more than one lad!
    are you taking a pi*s?

..you're wrong... so just shooosh.. or you'll create more people who stick apostrophes in every word that has an S on the end
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    But that's incorrect. You'd use "lad's" in the following: "The lad's signing voice was good", because the singing voice belongs to the lad. If there was more than one lad, you write: "The lads' signing voices were good". If you are simply referring to the lads as in: "The lads had good singing voices", then no need for an apostrophe.

Hope it helps.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I was being sarcastic.

are you taking a pi*s?

..you're wrong... so just shooosh.. or you'll create more people who stick apostrophes in every word that has an S on the end
    (Original post by Tycho)
    But that's incorrect. You'd use "lad's" in the following: "The lad's signing voice was good", because the singing voice belongs to the lad. If there was more than one lad, you write: "The lads' signing voices were good". If you are simply referring to the lads as in: "The lads had good singing voices", then no need for an apostrophe.

Hope it helps.
    Fine, it's after then but i know there is an apostrophe.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Wildfire S A510e
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Fine, it's after then but i know there is an apostrophe.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Wildfire S A510e
    :facepalm:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Do not facepalm me!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: June 18, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered creative corner threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.