The Student Room Group

Yaris Reverse Gear - Gearbox Problem Or..?

Hi there :smile:

I have a 1.0 litre VVT-i GS Toyota Yaris. He's done about 92,000 miles, and I've been learning to drive in him since August. (I call it 'him' because I've called him Colin :yep:. Just so you know.)

Basically, he's a lovely little car, and I've had no problems with him as of yet. However, sometimes I struggle - and I mean, I literally have to fight - to get into reverse gear. I was planning on doing my driving test in my own car, but I've now got doubts as I hardly want to have to fight with the car to get it into reverse for a manoeuvre.. :rolleyes:

My dad dismisses it and says it's just a 'quirk of the car'. My friend who also has a Yaris (same age, similar mileage etc) says he sometimes has to fight to get his car into first gear. I was just wondering, to anyone who knows cars, is this just a 'quirk', or is the gearbox on its way out? I'd get it properly checked out, but I don't have the money right now.

Thanks for any help :smile:
Reply 1
Try to double-clutch it?

Meaning when the car comes to a halt put it into neutral, release the clutch and then clutch in select reverse.
Reply 2
My old Fiesta was the same because you had to fight to get it into both first and reverse sometimes. It was a pretty simple fix in that i raised the clutch and then pressed it again. It usually went straight in after that. Most of the cars i've had have had this problem and its just a sign of general wear and tear. Hope this helps:smile:
Reply 3
I should also add that its most likely the sychro's going if it won't select. It generally nothing to be worried about as most cars that are 10+ years of age have a similar problem.
Reply 4
Original post by TattyBoJangles
My dad dismisses it and says it's just a 'quirk of the car'. My friend who also has a Yaris (same age, similar mileage etc) says he sometimes has to fight to get his car into first gear. I was just wondering, to anyone who knows cars, is this just a 'quirk', or is the gearbox on its way out? I'd get it properly checked out, but I don't have the money right now.

Original post by Herr
Try to double-clutch it?

Meaning when the car comes to a halt put it into neutral, release the clutch and then clutch in select reverse.

I have a Yaris and occassionally get the same thing (with both first and reverse, usually when getting out of my road parralell parked). Double clutching does tend to work, just come out of gear, into neutral and try again. and remember to use the handbrake if on a hill!
Ah, thank you both - I'll try that next time I go out as I don't think I've tried that. I tend to get rather frustrated with it instead. :p:
Reply 6
Original post by M4LLY
I should also add that its most likely the sychro's going if it won't select. It generally nothing to be worried about as most cars that are 10+ years of age have a similar problem.

Reverse doesn't have synchro :wink: Cars being difficult to get into reverse often caused by you not pushing hard enough on the clutch/the clutch mechanism being worn/the teeth on the gears not being aligned properly. In the case of the latter, bringing the clutch up while in neutral spins the layshaft for a moment meaning the gears can move into alignment.
Reply 7
Original post by Herr
Try to double-clutch it?

You don't double declutch in neutral. :rolleyes:

OP, what you can do when you come to a complete stop is to dip the clutch and then move the gearstick into gears 1 2 3 and 4 without lifting the clutch.
This will realign the gearbox and it should then go into reverse smoothly.
Reply 8
Full stop, put into neutral, release clutch, depress club, wiggle the gear stick left and right a few times and then see if that's any easier.
Isnt this supposed to be pretty common not just with the Yaris but with a lot of cars? Happened to me a few times in the car im learning in and I had to depress and release the clutch twice before it went in, sometimes it goes in no problem though. First gear can be a bit annoying too, same thing happens.
Reply 10
Original post by JC.
You don't double declutch in neutral. :rolleyes:

OP, what you can do when you come to a complete stop is to dip the clutch and then move the gearstick into gears 1 2 3 and 4 without lifting the clutch.
This will realign the gearbox and it should then go into reverse smoothly.

This, if it wont go into reverse, put it into another gear to shuffle the gears round a bit, then it should go in.
Reply 11
Yeh, this happens on my Honda a lot, you just have to bring the clutch up again, rev it and then try again. Only in reverse as on my box I have synchro in first, oooo yeh. :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending