The Student Room Group

Sour grapes - People who got rejected and their bitterness

Don't you just hate people who are total sour grapes about being rejected from an art institution and then decide to be utterly bitter about it?

So many people seem to be such sour grapes having being rejected from art collages (especially UAL)

Why does being rejected from CSM mean that everyone who wants to go there (and actually gets in) is pretentious? It doesn't.

It really annoys me how people cannot just get over rejection, and stay confident and motivated without feeling the need to beat down other institutions.

People who are at UCA institiutions in particular (basically the UAL rejects) seem to be some of the worse for being bitter and insecure.

If you don't get in somewhere you want to go there to study; go back into the f**king studio and work harder. And then you might actually get in.

/END RANT
Reply 1
bfo-rlmente.jpg
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by apretentiousartist
Don't you just hate people who are total sour grapes about being rejected from an art institution and then decide to be utterly bitter about it?

So many people seem to be such sour grapes having being rejected from art collages (especially UAL)

/END RANT

people in art collages tend to be stuck up
Oh, Bear. You are a one.
Reply 5
Lol, So true

From my own experience though. It makes a massive dent on confidence, as its such a personal subject, and all the best places have far too many applicants.

Something else to be considered is that London is basically one of the global centres of art, considering most courses at CSM and other TOP institutions take on about 50% even 75%, of foreign students.
To get a place there and at any other top place is to be one of the best, globally, and to be on the ball, all the time.

SO WHAT THE **** is with all the ambitious choices, how can someone place all 5 choices for places like, goldsmiths, Edinburgh, Glasgow, CSM, Slade etc. when the portfolio really is not up to standard, and then cry when getting rejected. If some people were serious, they would have at least 1 backup, should be 2 or even 3.

I did my foundation at Wimbledon and still got 4 rejections when I applied for illustration that year. To take a year off, look back and improve really wasn't that difficult, especially since I'm not really an academic student, (failed all A levels but art lolol). It was a simple decision, and I have kept myself within art, changing, developing and experimenting within my practice to find where I hope I might belong. I chose Illustration last year, but in the past 2 months I decided to change to Fine art.

HOWEVER.
What scares me most, is not getting the place this year.
A year to make a portfolio independently (a worthy one) takes financial backing and a lot of free time, and people tend to ask what the **** you're doing with your spare time, and why your not living the normal 9-5 working life.

Its the first and last chance for many people, because if they don't go to art school they might have to leave their homes and find work and take on normal responsibilities, going to art school is a privilege and an excuse to ignore those normal responsibilities. Most art students live a strange existence.
Not everyone is privileged enough to have stable living circumstances, stable home, secure financial situation etc. So there is a lot of pressure for some people, and I was lucky enough to have a year out and rethink, but really Its the last chance.

AND, if you don't have the passion and perseverance to continue independently, then its no wonder you got rejected and you should learn from that mistake and ask yourself if you can really even do that for your study.

It has been a journey, not being on foundation with tutors and the like has made it complicated.
Still waiting to hear back from the 3 places which required a portfolio. And I have 2 interviews from less ambitious places.

Not judging, just observing.
This took much time to write.

Sincerely
Soares lol
Reply 6
Hilter was rejected from the Vienna Academy of Art, blamed it on a Jewish professor and then... well.

So you should probably kill these bitter people, just in case. Or slap them. Whichever works.
I'm not quoting you, Soares, because when you do, it unsubscribes you from the thread, but just wanted to say I really hope it works out for you.:smile:
Original post by apretentiousartist

Why does being rejected from CSM mean that everyone who wants to go there (and actually gets in) is pretentious? It doesn't.

It really annoys me how people cannot just get over rejection, and stay confident and motivated without feeling the need to beat down other institutions.

People who are at UCA institiutions in particular (basically the UAL rejects) seem to be some of the worse for being bitter and insecure.

If you don't get in somewhere you want to go there to study; go back into the f**king studio and work harder. And then you might actually get in.

/END RANT

Lol work harder?

We're talking about art here, the most subjective course where its often a case of ''you either have it or you don't'' - in the eyes of some person. No wonder people are bitter.
Reply 9
Original post by Red Richie
Lol work harder?

We're talking about art here, the most subjective course where its often a case of ''you either have it or you don't'' - in the eyes of some person. No wonder people are bitter.

Takes a lot of commitment/motivation/natural-interest though.
All talent, but no commitment, is where you find a waste.
And that counts in everything.
I bet you have a Mac.
Reply 11
Original post by carnationlilyrose
oh, bear. You are a one.

frinton

:wink:
Original post by the bear
frinton

:wink:

:eek3: I am SHOCKED.
Reply 13