The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Original post by peacefrog16
My point was that you cannot accuse me or others who support the struggle in Ireland of being terrorist sympathisers when the Army that you seem to adore has been responsible for hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of civilian deaths. One mans terrorist is another mans freedom fighter.

The british army is unlikely to have been responsible for hundreds of thousands in the recent conflicts. We operate within a US led nato framework. Ah hell of a lot of the bombing is done by the joint air wing or whatever its called, so is likely to be american in majority.

Secondly, do you know what the rules are in order to get a bomb dropped in Afghanistan?
Without going into too much detail, if there is a chicken with about 4 miles of the target, it will go very high before the call is made.

We have rules of engagement, which are in accordance with the Geneva convention and UN rulings. All of these are followed stringently, and verified by UN observers, as well as incredible scrutiny from NATO and government.

Barring a few rogue cases, most civilian deaths will have been as a result of legitimate actions. If opposition figters force women and children to act as human shields for them, all the care in the world doesnt stop a few being killed by one side or the other.

Stop rabbiting on about things you have no idea about.
Original post by FrigidSymphony
The Provisional IRA were not terrorists. For ****'s sake. They killed ONE civilian, a photographer who ignored the evac warnings to get a better shot.

Um....

1973 10 September: The Provisional IRA set off bombs at London's King's Cross Station and Euston Station injuring 21 people.[5]

1974 4 February: Eight Soldiers and 4 civilians are killed by the Provisional IRA in the M62 Coach Bombing.

1974 17 June: The Provisional IRA plant a bomb which explodes at the Houses of Parliament, causing extensive damage and injuring 11 people.[6]

1974 5 October: Guildford pub bombing by the Provisional IRA leaves 4 off duty soldiers and a civilian dead and 44 injured.

1974 22 October: A bomb planted by the Provisional IRA explodes in London injuring 3 people.[7]

1990 1 June: Lichfield City railway station 1 soldier is killed and 2 are injured in a shooting by the Provisional Irish Republican Army

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_terrorist_incidents_in_Great_Britain

Chronology of Provisional Irish Republican Army actions (1970-1979)]

Chronology of Provisional Irish Republican Army actions (1980-1989)

Chronology of Provisional Irish Republican Army actions (1990-1999)

Chronology of Provisional Irish Republican Army actions (2000-2010)

Not terrorists? Riiiiight
Reply 142
Original post by That Bearded Man
The IRA helped the catholic areas of Belfast fend off attacks from loyalist thugs and police. This excludes the modern IRA I assume? They're complete terrorists.

For IRA put "UDA" and for loyalist put "nationalist".

You have just written exactly what the loyalists say. That is part of the problem, both sides feel that they are the victim.

Original post by ak137
I support the cause, yes.

The cause of forcing a majority population to submit to the rule of a foreign nation?

Original post by ak137
Bloody Sunday?

That was decades ago. The last time the IRA killed an innocent was in April last year.

Original post by ak137
I fail to see how almost the killing of 30 unarmed peaceful protestors were a mistake. Maybe the first one, or two or three can be considered a 'mistake'.

That is because you don't understand the situation that they were in.
Reply 143
The PIRA were deemed terrorists by the British state because acknowledging the conflict as a civil war would mean that British tactics would have to comply with the international laws of war (geneva convention protocol 1 etc). Therefore Britain would have been breached these rules via internment, collusion etc.

Also your point that Britain is no longer an imperialist force is laughable. Modern imperialist strategies are much more subtle (economic and political sanctions) than the historical militant invasions that created the western discourse that your judgement is clouded by.
Reply 144
Original post by flugelr

That was decades ago. The last time the IRA killed an innocent was in April last year.

Oh right, that was decades ago, totally justifies it.
Original post by tekno
The PIRA were deemed terrorists by the British state because acknowledging the conflict as a civil war would mean that British tactics would have to comply with the international laws of war (geneva convention protocol 1 etc). Therefore Britain would have been breached these rules via internment, collusion etc.

They were deemed terrorists because they are/were terrorists.
Reply 147
Original post by ak137
Oh right, that was decades ago, totally justifies it.

When did I say it was justified?

The point I was making is that we should look forward rather than backward.

Just down from where I live at the moment is a mural of King William. These are events that happened decades, or even centuries, ago.

If, whenever someone tries to set up a dialogue people like you just go, "oh Bloody Sunday" then Northern Ireland will never get anywhere.
Original post by thunder_chunky
They were deemed terrorists because they are/were terrorists.

They were soldiers in a war of independence.

Terrorists, by definition.
Reply 150
Original post by ak137
I wouldn't. I would rather start our own internal revolution.

EDIT: And T_C, ill reply to you later.

Because that tends to work so well against genocidal, autocratic, morally bankrupt regimes :cool:

I'd welcome all the help I could get.
Original post by Steevee
:rolleyes: Why do people always do this? The only relevant example theres there are Bloody Sunday and the Ballymurphy incident. But let's look at these emperically. Two, singular incidents in an ongoing campaign. Two incidents where there was wrongdoing, but do you know what makes them so shocking? So apart from the norm? Well, it's exactly that. These were two exceptional incidents, tragedies, where events conspired so that a few in the British Army, which numbers over 100,000 men, so perhaps a dozen or two, acted rashly, and fired. This shows us what now? It shows us that their actions were not State sanctioned, their actions were not part of an ongoing strategy, they were out of the ordinary and not ordered. Surely this is evidence as much as anything else against the British forces being terrorist.

While Glencoe was carried out by Scots (to this day, "never trust a Campbell" still exists) it was organized, ordained and paid for by the English.

Original post by Steevee

You know what though? If Britain was being ruled by a genocidal dictator or regressive theocratic regime, I'd welcome the bombs. If I was stripped of my civil liberties, had no Human Rights and lived in fear of the State, I'd welcome those 'invaders'. If my country was harbouring, training and funding groups that kill thousands of innocents delibertley in bombings in the name of religion. I's take up arms to help the 'invaders'.

So you would have supported the IRA had you been Irish?
Reply 152
The answer to the OP's question is that these "smash the fash" type groups instinctively support anyone they consider to be a victim/underdog. They could be homophobic, mysogynistic, violent, religious nutjobs but if their human rights are being infringed the looney left will automatically set up a support group and be down in London protesting before you can say Equalities Commission.

Don't search for the logic as there isn't any.
Reply 153
Original post by chefdave
The answer to the OP's question is that these "smash the fash" type groups instinctively support anyone they consider to be a victim/underdog. They could be homophobic, mysogynistic, violent, religious nutjobs but if their human rights are being infringed the looney left will automatically set up a support group and be down in London protesting before you can say Equalities Commission.

Don't search for the logic as there isn't any.

The left believe that the enemies of the "fash" are their friends and this includes radical Islam, so some people on the left support groups that would like to wipe them out!
Original post by JCC-MGS
The nationalists generally have closer links to working class political movements than the unionists so that's probably the reason why, along with anti-imperialist sentiment. Also don't chat **** about how the IRA are a terrorist group responsible for the deaths of countless innocents when it was essentially a civil war rather than a one-sided terrorist campaign, both sides were responsible for terrorist activity rather than the IRA bombing pubs while the UDA handed out flowers to old women and ran cafés. Lives were needlessly lost as a result of actions from both sides.

Tbh I'd still call the IRA a terrorist group, just like I'd call the UDA the same. Both groups are responsible for the deaths of countless innocents. It was a set of competing terrorist campaigns, less than a civil war, because from the mid-seventies it was less about any sort of "cause" and more about gangsterism, organised crime, megalomania and a callous disregard for human life and the rights of others.
Original post by lessthan0
Tbh I'd still call the IRA a terrorist group, just like I'd call the UDA the same. Both groups are responsible for the deaths of countless innocents. It was a set of competing terrorist campaigns, less than a civil war, because from the mid-seventies it was less about any sort of "cause" and more about gangsterism, organised crime, megalomania and a callous disregard for human life and the rights of others.

I said they were a terrorist group. They just didn't have the monopoly on terrorist activity.

Sorry, I missed the point where freedom fighters had it within their remit to abduct, murder and secretly bury the bodies of innocent people who were not involved in the conflict. I missed the point where it was ok for soldiers to torture, maim and ruthlessly brutalise members of the public in whose interests they were supposedly working. Apologies for my ignorance of the point when those things became ok :angry:

There were atrocities on both sides, but the actions of one group does not justify the actions of another.
Original post by lessthan0
Sorry, I missed the point where freedom fighters had it within their remit to abduct, murder and secretly bury the bodies of innocent people who were not involved in the conflict. I missed the point where it was ok for soldiers to torture, maim and ruthlessly brutalise members of the public in whose interests they were supposedly working. Apologies for my ignorance of the point when those things became ok :angry:

There were atrocities on both sides, but the actions of one group does not justify the actions of another.

Who are you talking about, the RIRA?
Reply 158
While Glencoe was carried out by Scots (to this day, "never trust a Campbell" still exists) it was organized, ordained and paid for by the English.

So you would have supported the IRA had you been Irish?

And Glencoe happened when? 1692. Not at all relevant to modern British forces.

And no. Because Britain was none of those things. I may, may have supported the IRA of the early 20th century. It really depends. From my viewpoint now, I wouldn't have, but as an Irish citizen maybe. But certainly I would never have supported the IRA as it was after Irish Independence.
because people are stupid hypocrites, they support the IRA out of some ill conceived notion theyre doing the right thing for their beliefs, despite the people of NI voting overwhelmingly to remain part of the union ... yet they say al-Qaeda etc are evil ... theyre doing exactly the same thing using exactly the same methods these people are just ignorant hypocrites.

Latest

Trending

Trending