Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

which religion is most likely to be the 'right' one?

Announcements Posted on
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    The one that doesn't exist.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Impossible to say. In fact it's very possible that there is a "right" religion but nobody has thought it up yet. Like the world being set up by a mouse and his seven string hareem of lionesses.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brownieboy)
    If you look at nearly all of the major religions there have been found to be a few/many of contradictions in their books/scipts with Christianity probably having the most contradictions. Islam is the only religion that doesn't have any contradictions in its book the Quran. You may hate me for saying this but its true, research this and youll find that this is the case. There have been many occasions where atheist critics have challenged some verses in the quran and they have been proven wrong by islamic scholars, and those critics then saying that the quran has no contradictions. fact. most religions are based on good morale through society but when it comes to truth about god there is only one religion and that is Islam. Its the only religion where the quran has not been changed since it was revelead by prophet muhammed (pbuh), the torah and bible have been changed when they came down from Moses and Jesus (pbut) by the followers and priests of those religions to suit their specific needs mainly for bad reasons.
    Most muslims didnt have a clue what the quran is going on about back in 700 AD, which is why the muslim leaders had to then write volumes of help guides called the hadeeths to try and decipher and explain the ranting sermons about adam and eve, genies, abstaining from alcohol etc. And even 1400 years after the event no muslim here has a clue what the quran is going on about - with 10 different english translations to choose from and another 50 sects to pick most of them spend their days on the Q&A forum asking each other "according to the quran, can i - take out a student loan , face mecca while sitting on the bog, take a photo of my pet hamster" etc - to which some 15 year old says "uuumm, err, yeh, cos this bearded guy on youtube says it ok" {copy paste sermon/youtube link}

Islam has just become a system of clueless people telling other clueless people what to do - we already have a system for that , its called politics
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Personally I believe Christianity or Islam will be the religion most likely to be correct.
    When I say Christianity, I mean either the Catholics or Mormons.

If you think about it, the first Christian church was the Catholic church. 90% of all Christian churches have broken away from this church. So if the Catholic church is true, none of these other churches can be, as they have broke away from the truth.

Regarding the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, or the "Mormon" church, this one is a little different. The founder of the church, Joseph Smith claimed God told him to start this church. So, any churches that have broke away from this could be breaking away from the truth.

So I see it as either the Catholic or Mormon / LDS church. I'd have to place my money on the LDS being right. Afterall, they are right about most other things :P
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr_Jam)
    Personally I believe Christianity or Islam will be the religion most likely to be correct.
    When I say Christianity, I mean either the Catholics or Mormons.

If you think about it, the first Christian church was the Catholic church. 90% of all Christian churches have broken away from this church. So if the Catholic church is true, none of these other churches can be, as they have broke away from the truth.

Regarding the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, or the "Mormon" church, this one is a little different. The founder of the church, Joseph Smith claimed God told him to start this church. So, any churches that have broke away from this could be breaking away from the truth.

So I see it as either the Catholic or Mormon / LDS church. I'd have to place my money on the LDS being right. Afterall, they are right about most other things :P
    Who are you kidding? It's yourself.

lol@jospehsmith
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr_Jam)
    apart from scientology i would say mormonism is the most likely to be the least correct one.

the most correct one would be the one that requires the believer to take the fewest leaps of faith. so i would go with some type of basic deist or pantheist religion, or buddhism.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Indo-Chinese Food)
    Most muslims didnt have a clue what the quran is going on about back in 700 AD, which is why the muslim leaders had to then write volumes of help guides called the hadeeths to try and decipher and explain the ranting sermons about adam and eve, genies, abstaining from alcohol etc. And even 1400 years after the event no muslim here has a clue what the quran is going on about - with 10 different english translations to choose from and another 50 sects to pick most of them spend their days on the Q&A forum asking each other "according to the quran, can i - take out a student loan , face mecca while sitting on the bog, take a photo of my pet hamster" etc - to which some 15 year old says "uuumm, err, yeh, cos this bearded guy on youtube says it ok" {copy paste sermon/youtube link}

Islam has just become a system of clueless people telling other clueless people what to do - we already have a system for that , its called politics
    Please study islam properly before making silly generalisations.

Do you understand what hadith are? They arent sayings of people after Muhammad (pbuh) or attempts by people after Muhammad to explain things. They are simply the sayings and actions of Muuhammad himself, which people wrote down during his lifetime. The transmission of hadith is EXTREMELY strict, there is something called the chain of narration, so people will narrate who they heard it from. Each person has to be examined from a number of angles, are they trustworthy, how were their morals and religious observance, were they known to lie? did they meet the person they are narrating from..if it fails any of these and more criteria, it will be rejected.

Please read the below from the BBC religion site (http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religi.../quran_1.shtml)

"Sunnah and Hadith

In addition to the Qur'an, the other sacred sources are the Sunnah, the practise and examples of the Prophet Muhammad's life, and the Hadith, reports of what the prophet Muhammad said or approved.

Both the Hadith and Sunnah must adhere to a strict chain of narration that ensures its authenticity, taking into account factors such as the character of people in the chain and continuity in narration. Reports that fail to meet such criteria will be disregarded.

One famous example is that of the scholar of Hadith literature, Imam Bukhari, who travelled several hundred miles on horseback to acquire a Hadith. When he arrived, he saw the man that knew the Hadith deceiving his donkey into thinking there was grain in a sack in order to induce him to move forward. Imam Bukhari promptly left without approaching the man because he was not willing to allow any individual with a questionable personality to join a chain of narration or contribute knowledge that would define the practice of the religion."

All the English translations are pretty much the same to be fair, only difference is in maybe the english itself, is it old english with "ye" and "thou" in or more modern English? Does it have footnotes/explanation or none. Rejecting a religion cos it has different translations is foolish in my opinion. Atleast we have the ORIGINAL Quran in the Arabic in which it was revealed, which cannot be said for some other well-known religions.

50 sects? Yes there are a few minor variations, but thats the same with most religions. Most of those "sects" are just fringe groups, the sunni group is the majority.

:s People aren't born knowing everything from when they are young, youve got to ask questions to learn...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    This is such a pointless question.

I mean what do you expect? Muslims scrambling to tell you that Buddhism is the enlightened path... nevemind that it IS the truth. Ha
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rouz)
    Please study islam properly before making silly generalisations.

Do you understand what hadith are? They arent sayings of people after Muhammad (pbuh) or attempts by people after Muhammad to explain things. They are simply the sayings and actions of Muuhammad himself, which people wrote down during his lifetime. The transmission of hadith is EXTREMELY strict, there is something called the chain of narration, so people will narrate who they heard it from. Each person has to be examined from a number of angles, are they trustworthy, how were their morals and religious observance, were they known to lie? did they meet the person they are narrating from..if it fails any of these and more criteria, it will be rejected.

Please read the below from the BBC religion site (http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religi.../quran_1.shtml)

"Sunnah and Hadith

In addition to the Qur'an, the other sacred sources are the Sunnah, the practise and examples of the Prophet Muhammad's life, and the Hadith, reports of what the prophet Muhammad said or approved.

Both the Hadith and Sunnah must adhere to a strict chain of narration that ensures its authenticity, taking into account factors such as the character of people in the chain and continuity in narration. Reports that fail to meet such criteria will be disregarded.

One famous example is that of the scholar of Hadith literature, Imam Bukhari, who travelled several hundred miles on horseback to acquire a Hadith. When he arrived, he saw the man that knew the Hadith deceiving his donkey into thinking there was grain in a sack in order to induce him to move forward. Imam Bukhari promptly left without approaching the man because he was not willing to allow any individual with a questionable personality to join a chain of narration or contribute knowledge that would define the practice of the religion."

All the English translations are pretty much the same to be fair, only difference is in maybe the english itself, is it old english with "ye" and "thou" in or more modern English? Does it have footnotes/explanation or none. Rejecting a religion cos it has different translations is foolish in my opinion. Atleast we have the ORIGINAL Quran in the Arabic in which it was revealed, which cannot be said for some other well-known religions.

50 sects? Yes there are a few minor variations, but thats the same with most religions. Most of those "sects" are just fringe groups, the sunni group is the majority.

:s People aren't born knowing everything from when they are young, youve got to ask questions to learn...

The hadeeths were not "simply the sayings and actions of Muuhammad himself, which people wrote down" - they included the reasoning and estimation of the quthor as to what mohammed meant in his sayings and actions, and also interpet these quotes for the purpose of their own opinion - that is only natural. It is also used to elaborate on parts of the quran - aain this is opinon of the author.

We know (from what islamlic scholars have said) that some hadith were identified as written for personal gain, it isnt possible to be sure which ones are accurate in terms of what mohammed meant without getting inside each authors head. There will be influences of the authore - A deliberate for whatever personal agenda B accidental, givne that the first recognised hadiths were written- what at least 100 years after mohammeds death, so most of his closest companians would have already died, hence 2nd or 3rd hand hear-say would be used to quote mohammed and C naturally any author quoting somone else will infer his own bias and opinion in what he has read/heard.

The facts that we know in islam is that all scripture was written by various men at various stages of history -none of whom were moahmmed and all written at least 100 years after his death.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annoying-Mouse)
    What about Islam makes it seem true? It claims a lot of things that you can't verify hence would be on the bottom as one of the least likeliest.
    well, still somehow ahead of scientology, cargo-cult, Raelians and wicca, I would say
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:

a very good description of most content on Islamic forums

the rest is composed by anti-Western, anti-Kuffar (non-Muslims) rhetoric, copy-pasted religious propaganda (dawah) and by people complaining that they can't find a spouse, because of un-Islamic racial prejudice

it is quite boring, but it does give a very instructive image of the state of the Ummah (community of Muslims)
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sapphire33)
    as an agnostic atheist, i've often wondered which religion is most likely to be the 'right' one ...
    God showed what he wanted at the beginning, he walked with man, revealing himself sharing his Life, without religion.

Written to people that had received this Life:
    "... ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people" (2 Cor. 6:16)

Daily 2-way Father-son/daughter relationship

What then, is religion?
    etymology (word origin):
    ... "respect for what is sacred, reverence for the gods," (source: "monastic life" (5c.), indicating other peoples' designation of what is "sacred" and "gods"). Latin: religare "to bind fast" , via notion of "place an obligation on," or "bond between humans and gods." Another possible origin is religiens "careful," opposite of negligens ... an attempt to please higher being through one's own behaviour, confidence depends on this.

Religion is from man, revelation is from God.

Man needs to learn that he CANNOT imagine or work out God, he has to become "as a child" and desire God to be God and DO what man cannot do.

"The central fact of the revelation of the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, the God of Jesus Christ, is that God descends to humankind. Never in any way, under any circumstances can we ascend to God, howsoever slightly."

"There is no path leading from a little bit of religion (of whatever kind) to a little more and finally to faith. Faith shatters all religion..."
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mariachi)
    a very good description of most content on Islamic forums

the rest is composed by anti-Western, anti-Kuffar (non-Muslims) rhetoric, copy-pasted religious propaganda (dawah) and by people complaining that they can't find a spouse, because of un-Islamic racial prejudice

it is quite boring, but it does give a very instructive image of the state of the Ummah (community of Muslims)
    To be frank all the abrahamic religious systems are about satisfying humans need for social order and being given direction, management of guilt and a fear of death. The east asians ones are based on humans need for spiritual fulfilment.

As long as one works for you and it isnt harming anyone else - it is the 'right' one
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    ISLAM, it has proven things that science has predicted now and its been in the Quran for over a thousand years
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    definetly islam! its a religion thats received so much negative media yet so many of us stay so true to our values! i believe that you should look into the religon a bit more for your own advantage x

good luck
    • 38 followers

ReputationRep:

You clearly don't know anything about islam.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MetzM)
    ISLAM, it has proven things that science has predicted now and its been in the Quran for over a thousand years
    :teehee: like what?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Islam. Obviously...
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nm786)
    You clearly don't know anything about islam.
    i know than the the typical tsr muslim it seems, who know very little.
    • 38 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SaintSoldier)
    According to Google Trends (December 2011), the term "Sex" is being searched mostly by people in Muslim countries

In English or in Arabic?
    and ... wtf has this got to do with anything?
Updated: March 4, 2012
New on TSR

Student crowdfunds degree

Graduate raises £26,000 online for Masters course

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.