Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why do a lot of women go for this type of look.......?

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gummers)
    What is the pure objectification of a women then? In your opinion.
    What do you mean by 'pure objectification'?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lauren_a)
    What do you mean by 'pure objectification'?
    You said that she if furthering the objectification of women, I didn't quite understand. What would be completely 'not' ''furthering it''?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    You said that she if furthering the objectification of women, I didn't quite understand. What would be completely 'not' ''furthering it''?
    Well, not furthering it would be not doing anything that supports the objectification of women. Then going further and discouraging it would be taking a stance against such actions, perhaps through campaigning groups such as OBJECT. Is this specific enough or do you mean specific actions?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IB_19)
    Really? Often I've found that it's the opposite; in terms of people maturing by 17/18 and being independent! As opposed to following the crowd like they would have done during early teenage years.
    Because in her eyes she has to go out clubbing to make friends and be a 'proper' 18 year old (like I said, she's a bit empty ) and how is the only way to do this?...Wear a tonne of makeup, fake tan, false nails and buy skimpy tacky yet expensive dresses of course!

I remember in school when she used to be around people she wouldn't have anything to say so she'd look bemused for a while and then say to me or someone 'do you like me naaaaaaaaaails?'.

And actually, 18 year olds probably have a load of insecurities. Just different ones! You'll find that when you go clubbing, the 18 year olds really don't appear independant. Maybe in their ability to drive and buy their own drinks, but not in terms of the sense of self.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    Because many men find that look attractive? It makes them more sexually appealing? They would be more respected?
    girls who look natural are much more attractive than plastic 'dolls'.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wave)
    This.

Men and plain girls is like women and nice guys. Guys say they like plain girls but the caked up ones are the ones who get hit on the most in clubs.
    That's actually more to do with the fact that they look easy rather than attractive.

Whenever I see a girl who is completely fake looking, I.e, a load of black hair extensions, drawn in thick eyebrows, orange, loads of lip gloss and liner etc etc, I kind of wonder how plain they must look beneath it all. There's this girl who I work with who fits that description, and when I see her I sometimes imagine her without makeup, and fake hair and tan, and I don't think there's much beneath it all really.

It does kind of give the illusion of being more attractive than you are, it makes people think of them as all glamourous, without they'd probably be plain Janes.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Because many men find that look attractive? It makes them more sexually appealing? They would be more respected?
    :lolwut:

More like they look more likely to "give it away", to put it politely.
    I don't know of anyone who would respect a woman more for dressing like an orange caked in smudgey black icing.
    • 167 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fudgesundae)
    girls who look natural are much more attractive than plastic 'dolls'.
    I'm not naturally beautiful, so where do I come in?
    • 167 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kaeseia)
    :lolwut:

More like they look more likely to "give it away", to put it politely.
    I don't know of anyone who would respect a woman more for dressing like an orange caked in smudgey black icing.
    Because they're BEAUTIFUL. Who wouldn't respect a beautiful person?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well, not furthering it would be not doing anything that supports the objectification of women. Then going further and discouraging it would be taking a stance against such actions, perhaps through campaigning groups such as OBJECT. Is this specific enough or do you mean specific actions?

If a woman, is happy to further the objectification, would you say she is wrong to do so or would you agree to just having different views?

(If I sound like I'm trying to start an argument, sorry, I'm actually not, I'm just interested in the psychology of this discussion)

I've just had a read through one of OBJECTS campaign. The strip club one. It seems to me that they haven't actually changed anything apart from what a strip club is licensed under... Men (presumably) will still go in with the same attitude and mind set and the woman who work there will still do all the same things as before. (I could be missing something, as I say, I only glanced over it)

So, nothing has really changed to do with the objectification of women, all the same actions and thoughts are happening (I would imagine). Could I ask your opinion on this?

I know you want me...
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by natty_d)
    Thank you! Someone got it in one!

The day I see some guy come and chat me up over the really obvious made up girls - I will make a thread.
    Ah jeez. They look more approachable in clubs, in other words they look more like the girls who are up for a bit of fun and a laugh. Their appearance seems to say 'I'm up for some fun and laughs and possibly a hook up' whereas if you look a lot more toned down, you may be more 'I'm here to have a good time with my mates, not looking for a hook up'.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Because they're BEAUTIFUL. Who wouldn't respect a beautiful person?
    I...
    well..
    Beautiful people don't immediately get my respect anyway (some beautiful people are very, very mean), but why would you respect someone who follows the media to a point where she no longer looks (and/or acts) like herself? I don't think that is beautiful, lol.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    If a woman, is happy to further the objectification, would you say she is wrong to do so or would you agree to just having different views?

(If I sound like I'm trying to start an argument, sorry, I'm actually not, I'm just interested in the psychology of this discussion)

I've just had a read through one of OBJECTS campaign. The strip club one. It seems to me that they haven't actually changed anything apart from what a strip club is licensed under... Men (presumably) will still go in with the same attitude and mind set and the woman who work there will still do all the same things as before. (I could be missing something, as I say, I only glanced over it)

So, nothing has really changed to do with the objectification of women, all the same actions and thoughts are happening (I would imagine). Could I ask your opinion on this?

Aha no you don't seem to be starting an argument at all. It's something I'm immensely passionate about so I'm more than happy to discuss it. Personally, I would say that a woman who is happy to further the objectification of women is wrong. I understand that people have different beliefs, but I think that equality of the sexes is such a fundamental belief that to go against it is essentially wrong.

I agree that that particular campaign hasn't had a drastic effect. However, it has had some effect. To change the licensing of strip clubs attaching a stigma to them, which they seem to have lost in the 21st century. It also makes it far easier for residents to protest against plans to build such premises in their local area - something with OBJECT has successfully been involved with. I would love to find a way to change the attitudes of the men going to those clubs and the girls dancing in them, but unfortunately it is far more difficult to change beliefs than it is to change licensing laws.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I disagree with people saying they're 'insecure' and that's why they're like that, in most cases I've found it's actually because they want to, they get attention - whether it's good or bad, they don't even notice the difference - they want attention.
    My sister is like this, she isn't insecure in the slightest, she just wants attention and thing the tangoed, platinum blonde look is attractive...despite insulting many other girls that look the exact same as her.

I'm insecure about my looks, but I don't wear any make-up and I don't straighten/curl/whatever my hair - I leave it natural, no matter how much of a mess. I'm not confident, in the slightest, I just believe comfort comes before 'beauty', no matter what. I care what people think, but then you're always going tog et people who like you and people who don't - so really I shouldn't care at all.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Their life, their choices. I wouldn't say it was necessarily down to insecurity, they might genuinely like the look of lots of make-up and sparkles. Nobody is attractive to everyone, people have their own preferences.

Not my cup of tea however, I'd feel too self-absorbed to spend that much time and money on my own appearance, but it's good to look after yourself.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Aha no you don't seem to be starting an argument at all. It's something I'm immensely passionate about so I'm more than happy to discuss it. Personally, I would say that a woman who is happy to further the objectification of women is wrong. I understand that people have different beliefs, but I think that equality of the sexes is such a fundamental belief that to go against it is essentially wrong.

I agree that that particular campaign hasn't had a drastic effect. However, it has had some effect. To change the licensing of strip clubs attaching a stigma to them, which they seem to have lost in the 21st century. It also makes it far easier for residents to protest against plans to build such premises in their local area - something with OBJECT has successfully been involved with. I would love to find a way to change the attitudes of the men going to those clubs and the girls dancing in them, but unfortunately it is far more difficult to change beliefs than it is to change licensing laws.

What do you think has influenced you to have those beliefs?
    (just so you know, I believe that sexes should be considered equal too)

Maybe I don't see anything wrong with the actions because I actually purely don't have any 'sexism' in me. I do make the odd jokey remark, but I don't actually think what I am saying it right.

for the bit in bold
    Ahh I see now how that would actually have an impact.

Anyway, I getting off now, nice chatting to you
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    these women look like a badly directed horror movie
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    They look like Roman prostitutes.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Indieboohoo)
    Do you really think THAT is attractive :lolwut:
    indeed i do!!! - but tbh i much more prefer mostly natural with a bit of makup. dont like it when girls go overboard lkike these orange peel girls....
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    So I'm guessing I'm the only person on TSR who likes this way of dressing ? and dresses like this ?

I think some people in this thread are being unfair. I don't dress like this for 'attention' or anything, I am in a relationship. I just like the look, I am really into makeup and like wearing it I also like the bodycon, bandage dress look. Not every one who dresses like this is dumb or a whore

I admit Jessica Wright and Chloe Sims look horrid but I like Maria Fowler, Lucy and the cast of Desperate Scousewives look stunning no ?

I like this and think it looks nice, don't get why its so controversial ?? Surely I'm not the only one who likes this style of dressing ?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	article-2066817-0EF575B000000578-35_468x914.jpg 
Views:	243 
Size:	96.6 KB 
ID:	132793

Name:	article-2083167-0E978EBF00000578-728_306x739.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	72.1 KB 
ID:	132794

Name:	article-2086382-0F737BC400000578-293_224x606.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	32.8 KB 
ID:	132795

Name:	tumblr_lzih9loFP21qmn1v6o1_500.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	61.3 KB 
ID:	132796

Name:	tumblr_lyn5umTDlb1qf5jdpo1_400.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	30.9 KB 
ID:	132803

OFCOURSE Kim Kardashian epitomises the look

Name:	Former+MTV+VJ+LaLa+Vasquez+arriving+New+York+rWQMH1mHtBRl.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	77.9 KB 
ID:	132805

How can you guys NOT like this ?!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 4, 2012
New on TSR

Submitting your UCAS application

How long did it take for yours to be processed?

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.