The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

The official UCL am I good enough / GCSE freak out thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
Want to study Law at UCL (very competitive)
Average GCSEs A*A*AAAAAABC
Not doing A-Levels, doing IB.

Is it worth applying if I get a high prediction for IB? And all the extras such as good personal statement, etc.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 201
guys can u plz me

does ucl consider those re-sitting an exam?, are they at a disadvantage? or they r rejected straight away ?
my As level grades are
Chem - A
Eco - A
History - A
A level Maths - B
Physics -B
Thinkingskills - B

studying further maths at A2

i will be giving a retake for maths in nov, n will get A* hopefully
what are my chances to get in UCL for economics ? and which other uni i should apply ?
i am an international applicant
Original post by kylewstorey
Your AS marks certainly suggest you're good enough despite the poor mark in a GCSE foreign language. I would assume you'd be fine in an application regarding your grades/module scores.

Starting physics at UCL this year, I have a C in Gcse Spanish. You have no worries.
Reply 203
Hey!

I want to apply for the Psychology and Language Sciences degree at UCL (2013 entry) and was wondering if my AS grades were good enough! Entry requirements are A*AA-AAA...

So I got A-Maths, B-French, B-Physics, B-Biology and B-Religious Studies.
Also, I got 11A*s and 1A at GCSE.

Would this be good enough? Slightly worried because I've heard people mention how you need to get all As at AS to be considered :frown:
Oh, and how do they feel about resits, as I plan on resitting a few modules?

Also looking for advice on which subject to drop this year, ready for A2- don't think I'd be able to cope with 5 and Welsh Bac! (honestly not sure how I survived AS either) :')

Thanks for the help! :biggrin: Much appreciated

P.S- Sorry for asking so many questions at once!
Hi, I got my reaults on Thursday and heres what I got:
A - AS Level ICT taken in Year 11
A* - Core Science
A* - Geography
A* - RE (SC)
A* - Citizenship (SC)
A - Mathematics (Taken in Year 10)
A - Additional Science
A - History (4 UMS off! Remark!)
A - English Literature
A - Statistics
B - French
B - English Language

A-levels:

AS Level ICT - A - Year 11
Mathematics
Geography
History
Economics

Is this a good profile to study Geography, or is it mediocre or the same as most applicants. Thanks.
Reply 205
Original post by Alex-Torres
Hi, I got my reaults on Thursday and heres what I got:
A - AS Level ICT taken in Year 11
A* - Core Science
A* - Geography
A* - RE (SC)
A* - Citizenship (SC)
A - Mathematics (Taken in Year 10)
A - Additional Science
A - History (4 UMS off! Remark!)
A - English Literature
A - Statistics
B - French
B - English Language

A-levels:

AS Level ICT - A - Year 11
Mathematics
Geography
History
Economics

Is this a good profile to study Geography, or is it mediocre or the same as most applicants. Thanks.

Get good AS grades and you're certainly in for a shot :smile:
Reply 206
So I went to a really crap secondary school, got 3A's, 4B's and 1C. I'm taking a gap after my A2' this year, which I hope to come out of with an AAA/A*AB,in English Language, Philosophy and History respectively. Apply for Philosophy, would I stand a chance with a really good PS as well?
Any current history students? UCL sounds soooo amazing!! :smile:
I have GCSE grades of 6 A*s and 5 A's. In my AS Levels I achieved:
History A
Geography A
English Literature B
Biology B

I have dropped Biology and my Eng lit wasn't far off an A, so I'm resubmitting coursework to bump that up to an A, too. What are my chances in terms of grades? And in terms of 'other' things like wider interest, what do you suggest?
Oh yes, and I heard that they ask for UMS scores, is this for all modules in each AS subject? I'm just worried as some are not that high, as I have a C in a Biology one...
Any current history students? UCL sounds soooo amazing!! :smile:
I have GCSE grades of 6 A*s and 5 A's. In my AS Levels I achieved:
History A
Geography A
English Literature B
Biology B

I have dropped Biology and my Eng lit wasn't far off an A, so I'm resubmitting coursework to bump that up to an A, too. What are my chances in terms of grades? And in terms of 'other' things like wider interest, what do you suggest?
Oh yes, and I heard that they ask for UMS scores, is this for all modules in each AS subject? I'm just worried as some are not that high, as I have a C in a Biology one...
Could I get into UCL Chem Eng?

GCSE: 1 A* 7A 2B
AS in Maths Chemistry Biology and Politics: B B B A
If I am predicted AAA, (dropped Politics) could I get an offer? (I can't get work experience so my personal statement may be lacking hands on knowledge, but I have an introduction to chemical engineering book, and I intend to write an EPQ related to it.)
(edited 11 years ago)
My grades for As:
History: B
Math: B
Biology: B
English Literature: A
Greek: A
Shameful I know but I overestimated myself so I did horribly, thing is I'm predicted for: Eng Lit, Greek and History: A and the rest Bs... It looks bad but my question is do you think I stand a chance for a university like UCL or Durham with grades as bad as these? I have many extra curriculars and all that but will this completely deter me? Should I consider a gap year?
Reply 211
Hi, I want to apply for UCL but not if it's a risk I want to be pretty confident of an offer so tel me what you think. I'm applying for mathematical computation...

GCSEs: 5A*6A

AS: Maths, Further maths, Economics, Physics, General studies. AAACA, respectively.

Predicted A*AA (Maths further maths and economics).

Bearing in mind that I got a C in AS physics and I'm predicted exactly the standard offer, can I be confident of an offer or is the risk too much if I want a confident option... thanks...

Also could you tell me whether applying to Warwick (Discrete maths) and Bristol (Maths and computer science) is a good idea/ are my chances good?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 212
No you're missing the point of the thread. Maybe my grades are good enough but I want to be absolutely sure I'll get offers from at least 2 of these universities. Maybe people who are at these unis could help. Genuinely not a brag, sorry.
Reply 213
Thanks, yeah I know I can't be SURE but I want a pretty good idea before I commit. My main concern is the C in AS physics. As I guess you could argue it's relevant to maths/computer science. I just don't want this to hold me back.
I've got 2A's 6B's 1C Is that still good enough for UCL? I'm taking Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry and Economics and wanting to do Engineering if that matters?
Reply 215
Original post by CharliePhillips
I've got 2A's 6B's 1C Is that still good enough for UCL? I'm taking Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry and Economics and wanting to do Engineering if that matters?

Hmmm. Well I am not a Uni student and haven't gone through the process, but if I had to guess, I think you will struggle with those grades for UCL.

Engineering isn't the most competitive course, but still competitive.

I don't want to say definitely no, but with no A*s, and not even many As, I can't see UCL looking twice at your application. I may be wrong though.

Maybe consider Uni's like Edinburgh, Manchester etc?
You can still get into a respectable Uni with good A-Level grades, don't worry, but don't forget UCL is in the top 5 of the country!
Reply 216
I want to apply to study history of art, i'm predicted two A*s, in english lit and english language, and an A in politics, my references are strong. I got two A's and two B's in my modules but i'm planning to repeat and bring one of my B's up to an A. My GCSE's are 3A*s 3As 2B and 1C- overall, with a well written personal statement, does it look like i have a chance of getting an offer?
Reply 217
Any more opinions?
Original post by sroom77
No you're missing the point of the thread. Maybe my grades are good enough but I want to be absolutely sure I'll get offers from at least 2 of these universities. Maybe people who are at these unis could help. Genuinely not a brag, sorry.

No one can say for sure if youll get offers as there is moreto the decision process than just grades but from a brief glance youre definitely in with a very good shot!
Original post by srzzk
You're having a laugh! You're seriously asking this question because you don't know if your grades are good enough? Clearly they are

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending