University College London, University of London
University College London
London

The official UCL am I good enough / GCSE freak out thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Oromis263
Oh god, why.

No, to put it short. I know people with offers to Bristol who got Bs overall. I've an offer to Edinburgh, and I got a b on a module (which I resat, and got 100%, but only found that bit out today) and a c on a chemistry module. However, I just worked hard and got 90% UMS overall in chemistry after AS.

You're fine, quit worrying! ^_^

My teacher is advising me against retaking. What do you think I should do? PS congrats on getting an offer from Edinburgh!

Original post by jimfrederikson
Not at all, Universities won't receive individual unit scores, and you don't even have to tell them your AS results. It was my school's (a top independent school) not to publish certificates for AS Levels unless you had achieved four A grades. I am going to UCL in September and only applied with my predicted grades, they had no idea of unit marks or AS levels. As long as you can get the predictions you require and meet them there is no reason why a B in a unit will hold you back.

I am going to UCL, and got unit grades AABBCE in Physics (equated to A overall)

Saying this the first paper is the easiest where I gained 120/120, so getting your school to predict you an A may be difficult.

My teacher says I shouldn't retake because most people don't do better and I do have a lot of exams in the summer. What do you think I should do? I will most likely get an A predicted next year, but I really want that A* and I can definitely achieve an A* with hard work. Congrats on getting into UCL - that is my dream university! If you don't mind saying, what did you get in your GCSEs, cos they count too?
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 41
Original post by uttamo
Are you sure? Where did you get that from?

He did sarcasm...........you worry too much.......there's always room for improvement, but when it comes to places like UCL..... there'll be loads of other applicants who meet the grade requirements, you need to stand out special.... do extra curricular activities which relate tot the course you wanna do, show your genuine enthusiasm
Not at all, Universities won't receive individual unit scores, and you don't even have to tell them your AS results. It was my school's (a top independent school) not to publish certificates for AS Levels unless you had achieved four A grades. I am going to UCL in September and only applied with my predicted grades, they had no idea of unit marks or AS levels. As long as you can get the predictions you require and meet them there is no reason why a B in a unit will hold you back.

I am going to UCL, and got unit grades AABBCE in Physics (equated to A overall)

Saying this the first paper is the easiest where I gained 120/120, so getting your school to predict you an A may be difficult.

Since this year, state schools MUST cash-in As grades, most did prior to this. All other things being equal if he re-took in the summer, UCL would not know.
Reply 43
Original post by Iqbal007
He did sarcasm...........you worry too much.......there's always room for improvement, but when it comes to places like UCL..... there'll be loads of other applicants who meet the grade requirements, you need to stand out special.... do extra curricular activities which relate tot the course you wanna do, show your genuine enthusiasm

I do have a genuine interest in science but I don't know what extracurricular activities to do. I've done well in UK Maths Challenge but nothing else really. Do you think reading science book helps, cos it's kinda developing your interest in the subject and also that you get stuff to talk about should you get an interview? What stuff do you think I could do?

Thanks for the advice guys it's really helpful :smile:
Reply 44
Original post by uttamo
I do have a genuine interest in science but I don't know what extracurricular activities to do. I've done well in UK Maths Challenge but nothing else really. Do you think reading science book helps, cos it's kinda developing your interest in the subject and also that you get stuff to talk about should you get an interview? What stuff do you think I could do?

UK maths challenge on its own won't be enough.........science books can help, but it won't make you stand out considering a lot of people do it.
I suggest looking into doing work experience this summer in a related field..........you could also do sports, etc to show your other skills.........maybe take part in outside science projects or conduct your own.

You don't always get interviewed, if you do sometimes you even get to do some equations and stuff.....but its also just not about the science part of things, but also your own personality, you need to show to them that you'll be committed for the 3 years and have enthusiasm.
Reply 45
UK maths challenge on its own won't be enough.........science books can help, but it won't make you stand out considering a lot of people do it.
I suggest looking into doing work experience this summer in a related field..........you could also do sports, etc to show your other skills.........maybe take part in outside science projects or conduct your own.

You don't always get interviewed, if you do sometimes you even get to do some equations and stuff.....but its also just not about the science part of things, but also your own personality, you need to show to them that you'll be committed for the 3 years and have enthusiasm.

I got selected for two county trials for Gloucestershire County Cricket Club but that was way before GCSE. Do you think it has any relevance now? I have represented my school in a couple of sports as well. Yeah I'll try and get some work experience at a sciency business. I'll think about what I can use to show my enthusiasm for science. Thanks.
Original post by sarah1345
Since this year, state schools MUST cash-in As grades, most did prior to this. All other things being equal if he re-took in the summer, UCL would not know.

Ahh, I didn't know, where have you seen this?
Original post by uttamo

My teacher says I shouldn't retake because most people don't do better and I do have a lot of exams in the summer. What do you think I should do? I will most likely get an A predicted next year, but I really want that A* and I can definitely achieve an A* with hard work. Congrats on getting into UCL - that is my dream university! If you don't mind saying, what did you get in your GCSEs, cos they count too?

I don't know why you teacher would say that, during my AS and A2s I retook 5 or 6 units and improved in everyone of them. If it is correct that all schools must cash in AS grades I would recommend resitting as UCL will be receiving these grades.

At the end of the day, if you have the grades they want they'll give you a place, I mean I've taken a gap year to resit units and they've offered me a place, even though it's taken me 3 years what pretty much everyone else will do in 2, and the only mitigating circumstances I had was being a lazy **** and recompleting GTA3 on the PS2 during exam time....

GCSE wise I achieved 6 A*s and 5As

Original post by uttamo
Do you think reading science book helps, cos it's kinda developing your interest in the subject and also that you get stuff to talk about should you get an interview? What stuff do you think I could do?

Agree with what's been said; Work experience will be the most useful asset to acquire. After this further reading to show your interest in the subject beyond the classroom which you have chosen to do, find a specific area you are interested in and focus on that. Things like maths challenge won't really help you, a lot of people do them....
Ive got BBB, retaken a few times got 3 interviews would let that put you off, waiting for replies. Already told for one subject they make offers to everyone they interview, they just want people within the area to come in for their open applicants day. Just write a good statement and btw i also have average GCSES.
Reply 49
I don't know why you teacher would say that, during my AS and A2s I retook 5 or 6 units and improved in everyone of them. If it is correct that all schools must cash in AS grades I would recommend resitting as UCL will be receiving these grades.

At the end of the day, if you have the grades they want they'll give you a place, I mean I've taken a gap year to resit units and they've offered me a place, even though it's taken me 3 years what pretty much everyone else will do in 2, and the only mitigating circumstances I had was being a lazy **** and recompleting GTA3 on the PS2 during exam time....

GCSE wise I achieved 6 A*s and 5As

Agree with what's been said; Work experience will be the most useful asset to acquire. After this further reading to show your interest in the subject beyond the classroom which you have chosen to do, find a specific area you are interested in and focus on that. Things like maths challenge won't really help you, a lot of people do them....

Yeah I'll try to convince my teacher to let me retake. You were being lazy and still got an offer from UCL lol BEAST. I'll look into what kinds of work experience I can do and will read more books. About UKMC, not many people do that well do they? I mean surely it's worth a mention in PS? (I have 4 golds and 2 silvers and have been in 2 followup rounds). What do you think? Thanks. :smile:
Reply 50
Original post by SloaneRanger
Ive got BBB, retaken a few times got 3 interviews would let that put you off, waiting for replies. Already told for one subject they make offers to everyone they interview, they just want people within the area to come in for their open applicants day. Just write a good statement and btw i also have average GCSES.

Is it hard getting a place to go to the open day? I really want to go so badly but registration is not yet open. What subject have you applied for?
London School Of Pharmacy - Pharmacy - Interview
UCL - Bioprocessing of New Medicines (Management) - Interview
UCL - Science & Society - Interview

Seriously, just distinguish yourself from the crowd, just like the posts above.
Reply 52
Original post by uttamo
I got selected for two county trials for Gloucestershire County Cricket Club but that was way before GCSE. Do you think it has any relevance now? I have represented my school in a couple of sports as well. Yeah I'll try and get some work experience at a sciency business. I'll think about what I can use to show my enthusiasm for science. Thanks.

Yeah that wouldn't be relevant as it happened too long ago.
Reply 53
Original post by SloaneRanger
London School Of Pharmacy - Pharmacy - Interview
UCL - Bioprocessing of New Medicines (Management) - Interview
UCL - Science & Society - Interview

Seriously, just distinguish yourself from the crowd, just like the posts above.

Nice good luck with those interviews! How hard is it to get places for open days? Is it very competitive?

Yeah that wouldn't be relevant as it happened too long ago.

Damn that's my greatest sports achievement lol.
Reply 54
Original post by uttamo
Nice good luck with those interviews! How hard is it to get places for open days? Is it very competitive?

Damn that's my greatest sports achievement lol.

Seriously, you need to start working a bit to get some extra ones. Because if you showed that on ur app, and ur not playing it, kinda shows lack of commitment.
Reply 55
Seriously, you need to start working a bit to get some extra ones. Because if you showed that on ur app, and ur not playing it, kinda shows lack of commitment.

I still play cricket but I have no idea what EC activities I could do :frown:. There is barely anything offered at my school (in terms of clubs like debating or maths or whatever).
Reply 56
Original post by uttamo
I still play cricket but I have no idea what EC activities I could do :frown:. There is barely anything offered at my school (in terms of clubs like debating or maths or whatever).

Do something outside then, apply for summer schools...but its a bit late .......... try creating your own science based project with the help of your science department.
Reply 57
Do something outside then, apply for summer schools...but its a bit late .......... try creating your own science based project with the help of your science department.

Yeah I've applied to Oxford's UNIQ and the Sutton Trust for Bristol but I'm not expecting to get in. Good learning point though. Yeah stuff like that, I can't think of anything for a project but if I do I will try and do something about it. I would love to take part in Google's science fair competition, if I had an idea.
Reply 58
Original post by uttamo
Yeah I've applied to Oxford's UNIQ and the Sutton Trust for Bristol but I'm not expecting to get in. Good learning point though. Yeah stuff like that, I can't think of anything for a project but if I do I will try and do something about it. I would love to take part in Google's science fair competition, if I had an idea.

You never know, you might get in.
Which parts most interest you in science?
Reply 59
You never know, you might get in.
Which parts most interest you in science?

Yeah hopefully :cool: and physics mainly and also chemistry, like how the cause of something like the malleability of metals can be explained on an atomic level and stuff like why diamond is so hard. In physics it's just mainly natural phenomena like the Doppler effect (it's simple yes but incredibly satisfying when you learn it) and radioactive isotopes (although we don't do that at A-Level:frown:)

Quick Reply