The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

The official UCL am I good enough / GCSE freak out thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
I'm a home student. I'm likely to get an A* in Maths. But I've sat my first Economics module and received a B. I can potentially get an A, but thinking about my options if i were to get a B?
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 81
I am thinking about studying French and German at UCL in 2013.
But I am very worried about my GCSE's

AS Predictions: AAAA (French, German, English Lit and History)

GCSE's: English Lit A*
English Lang A*
French A
History A
German B
Geography B
Maths B
Additional Science B
Core Science B
P.E C
R.E (Short Course) B
ICT (Short Course) Pass

What do you think?
Reply 82
I don't think they're bad they beat mine by a mile :P I'm thinking if you get the AS grades then it shouldn't be a problem. Might wanna get some more opinions as this may not be true.
Reply 83
theyre fine dont worry i got AAABBBBCCCCCE for GCSE and got an offer :smile:
Reply 84
Original post by cl_steele

For what subject? Modern Languages?
Reply 85
Original post by PudPud
For what subject? Modern Languages?

no for history but from what ive heard the admissions is broadly speaking the same across the board.
regardless GCSEs arent to important to them bar english and maths it all relies on your as grades/personal statement/ predicted A2s. good luck!
Reply 86
no for history but from what ive heard the admissions is broadly speaking the same across the board.
regardless GCSEs arent to important to them bar english and maths it all relies on your as grades/personal statement/ predicted A2s. good luck!

Wow, well done on your offer! Was it for this year?
Reply 87
Original post by PudPud
Wow, well done on your offer! Was it for this year?

thank you :smile: yar grades permitting be going in September, go excited! :biggrin:
Reply 88
Original post by PudPud

English Lang A*
French A
History A
German B
Geography B
Maths B
Additional Science B
Core Science B
P.E C
R.E (Short Course) B
ICT (Short Course) Pass

What do you think?

Hey, that's also what I want to study and I am considering UCL too! According to their website, all you need is C or above in maths, English and a foreign language - all of which you have. So I wouldn't be worried, especially with your AS predictions as other than the basics I don't think they care very much. Just focus on getting the best possible A level grades and you'll be fine. :smile:
Original post by PudPud

English Lang A*
French A
History A
German B
Geography B
Maths B
Additional Science B
Core Science B
P.E C
R.E (Short Course) B
ICT (Short Course) Pass

What do you think?

My GCSE results were similar to yours and I'm currently holding an offer for French at UCL. Whilst the admissions tutors will look at your GCSE grades (as they're on your UCAS application), they will also take into consideration other aspects of your application i.e personal statement, AS results etc. If they like what they see from your UCAS application, they will most likely send you a questionnaire to fill in. They'll use this in conjunction with your UCAS app to help them decide whether or not you're what they're looking for. If you're really worried about whether or not your GCSEs will deter your chances, if there were any extenuating circumstances which led to you under-perform, get your referee to mention it in the reference. That's what I did.

Obviously no one on here can tell you for definite or not if you'll get an offer, but if you don't apply, you'll never know. You have some time yet to make your decisions, so I'd recommend researching the course/uni thoroughly - see if it matches what you're after. Also, if you can, try and visit, better yet go to the open day. Hopefully you'll have a good feeling once you've visited whether or not you can see yourself studying there for 4 years. :smile:

:congrats:
There's no apostrophe in GCSEs for ****'s sake.
Original post by SleepySheep
There's no apostrophe in GCSEs for ****'s sake.

You are not an Examiner for SPaG.I'm really tempted to add a line ,in my signature,about the overwhelming problem of TSR users criticising people's SPaG like they are some exam board.The GCSEs are good but the B in Maths might let you down but GCSEs shouldn't matter too much for UCL more Oxford,Cambridge and Birmingham.You do have 2 A*s but you do have to remember that UCL is high ranking university and successful candidates will normally have a lot of A*s(4+) but that doesn't mean they will beat you to the offers-it just means that generally people who get loads of A*s at GCSE,get the best A-Level results and as long as you beat the loads of A* owning candidates in A-Level you should get an offer.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Dalek1099
You are not an Examiner for SPaG.I'm really tempted to add a line about the overwhelming problem of TSR users criticising people's SPaG like they are some exam board.

But you thought that instead of adding a line, you'd add a line saying you were going to add a line? Enough of your nonsense please.

Apostrophe usage is basic English.
Original post by SleepySheep
But you thought that instead of adding a line, you'd add a line saying you were going to add a line? Enough of your nonsense please.

Apostrophe usage is basic English.

sorry i missed a few words out of my sentence by accident it is corrected in my original post.
Original post by Dalek1099
sorry i missed a few words out of my sentence by accident it is corrected in my original post.

Kewl, that's super interesting.
I don't have a GCSE in a modern language,will I be at a disadvantage?
It states UCL will provide the opportunity to meet the language requirement once enrolled at UCL. I don't see why this is so important, a friend of mine achieved an A in GCSE french and has completely forgotten everything, just the generic basics 'bonjour' 'je'm appelle' (It's wrong isn't it:colondollar:) and how to say 'how are you' etc

some success story's would be comforting :rolleyes:
(edited 12 years ago)
115 views and not a single reply :confused:
Hello, is anyone there?... :K::bee2:
Hello,

Before I got my offer, they sent me an email to explain why I didn't take a language at GCSE. I said due to clashes with subjects at my school I couldn't take it.

Its nothing to worry about, if you don't have a language they offer many alternatives, such as taking a short course in your first year or a summer school option. This was also stated in the email.

Hope it helps,

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending