Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Iron Lady - What did you think?

Announcements Posted on
  1. Offline

ReputationRep:
    I was watching the Iron Lady the other day. And I know it's controversial, because so many people are anti-thatcher. I went in open minded, I'm not old enough to have lived through her time.

I feel like the film kind of moves away from the politics... Sure it's there as a back-burner to the story, but I think the film is really about the human condition and this idea of power and strength being contrasted with weakness and frailty. In that way it's quite a dark film, and there is little uplift towards the end.

I found myself feeling sympathy for the character from the start of the film, to the extent of tears at a couple of points.

However I did overhear other people in the audience making comments like "this is the most boring thing I've ever had to sit though."

So I was wondering what other people thought of it?
  2. Offline

ReputationRep:
    Not seen it, really want to tho!!
  3. Offline

ReputationRep:
    I went to see it the other day and was suprised at how it affected me. I didn't think it was going to focus so much on the dementia side, I was hoping for it focus more on politics tbh. The dementia side of it really hit home to me because of its prominence in my family and I found myself really crying, especially for the last ten minutes when
    Spoiler:
    Show
    she finally decides to pack up all of her husbands things and he goes away forever.
    Crying during a film about Thatcher in the heart of Liverpool is not something I would suggest!
  4. Offline

ReputationRep:
    Too much focus on dementia, too much focus on her relationship with the husband.

It was done OK, although I felt bored stiff for large parts of the film. It wasn't gripping, although I learnt a few things about Thatcher.

Did feel uncomfortable about some of the content of this film, especially given that Thatcher is still alive. So in terms of the film's appropriateness really, given that this former prime minister is still alive, even though she might not be alive and 'kicking'.
  5. Offline

ReputationRep:
    I wasn't too happy with it.... I thought it was in quite poor taste to do something like this when she is still alive.

Secondly it didn't quite touch on anything I had an interest in, mostly on dementia rather than on her quest to be PM and the difficult years of being in power was what I hoped for.
  6. Offline

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Herr)
    I wasn't too happy with it.... I thought it was in quite poor taste to do something like this when she is still alive.

Secondly it didn't quite touch on anything I had an interest in, mostly on dementia rather than on her quest to be PM and the difficult years of being in power was what I hoped for.
    In agreement there tbh. I just wonder how much mental capacity Thatcher has, and whether she has seen the film and has an opinion on its content and her depiction in it. I understand she's a pretty frail woman now and perhaps her mental capacity has gone, but still...

Wonder what the wider Thatcher family think of the film, that is if they have seen it.
  7. Offline

ReputationRep:
    I really enjoyed it. Whether you agree with her policies or not, I think it demonstrates that she is an exceptional woman in many ways. And Meryl Streep's performance was very good, despite being American. I see what some people are saying about it perhaps being inappropriate though.
  8. Offline

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reagan Smash)
    I went to see it the other day and was suprised at how it affected me. I didn't think it was going to focus so much on the dementia side, I was hoping for it focus more on politics tbh. The dementia side of it really hit home to me because of its prominence in my family and I found myself really crying, especially for the last ten minutes when
    Spoiler:
    Show
    she finally decides to pack up all of her husbands things and he goes away forever.
    Crying during a film about Thatcher in the heart of Liverpool is not something I would suggest!
    This bit got me too. I'm not usually a weeper when it comes to films, but this part was really touching.
  9. Offline

ReputationRep:
    I really need to watch this!

Lots of people have told me that it portrays her in a much nicer light than she deserves so I don't really know what to expect. Oh well guess I'd better go and see for myself.
  10. Offline

I reviewed it here: http://www.flickermagazine.co.uk/fil...eironlady.html

I'm not really sure why so many Tories thought it was offensive because if she has dementia then why would it be offensive to portray her as someone who has dementia? :lolwut:
  11. Offline

ReputationRep:
    One of the most boring films in history, told me nothing new and sugarcoated very serious political matters under thatcher's rule. Complete waste of money.
  12. Offline

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Death.)
    One of the most boring films in history, told me nothing new and sugarcoated very serious political matters under thatcher's rule. Complete waste of money.
    It wasn't necessarily meant to tell you anything new and it certainly wasn't meant to be a documentary of her political life.

I think it's sad that someone being a political figure means that anything else about them is immediately boring.
  13. Offline

ReputationRep:
    The Iron Lady is rated PG 13- not suitable for miners.
  14. Offline

ReputationRep:
    I think the film was made in poor taste with MT still being alive. I also felt it was a bit sentimental and soppy. I was expecting there to be more fire and brimstone, with thatcher taking on the coal miners and making difficult political decisions.
    Oh well, can't complain as I saw it on movie2k.
  15. Offline

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, I'm really looking forward to watching it, not happy about the lack of focus on the political side of her life which is what I was most looking forward too
  16. Offline

ReputationRep:
    I really enjoyed it. I think Meryl Streep did brilliantly , and I thought the whole plot focus was balanced personally.
  17. Offline

ReputationRep:
    Good. Although I think they spent a bit too much time on her elderly days, and should have looked more into her time as Prime Minister.

Meryl Streep was simply amazing, deserves an Oscar.

7.7/10
  18. Offline

I personally thought it was a crap sequel to Iron Man
  19. Offline

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArcadiaHouse)
    I personally thought it was a crap sequel to Iron Man
    A guy in halls said his friend actually thought it was like Iron Man so went to see it
  20. Offline

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rascacielos)
    It wasn't necessarily meant to tell you anything new and it certainly wasn't meant to be a documentary of her political life.

I think it's sad that someone being a political figure means that anything else about them is immediately boring.
    When that political figure decided (and in some cases wrecked) the financial future and stability of millions of people across the country, it is very very hard to focus on anything else other than politics.

I only went cus a few of my friends invited me along. I could tell from the previews and trailers it was going to be a load of rubbish, and that is what it was.

Aimed to make a few adolescent teenage girls sympathize with and shed tears for one of the most heartless political animals that has ever lived.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: February 27, 2012
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR

How to predict exam questions

No crystal ball required

Poll
How will you be voting in the EU referendum?
Useful resources
Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.