Sergio Leone
    Chan-wook Park
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Definitely misread this as dictators...
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Jarmush
    Kar Wai Wong (purely for poetics and beauty)
    Kusturica (I love me some Balkan circus)

there's a lot of others, I seem to own all the films by Wes Anderson, but that might be just a professional (since I'm about to get a degree in Film, I can say that, ha!) habit.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Coen Brothers, Dario Argento, Hayao Miyazaki.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Excuse me for my ignorance, but what exactly makes a good director? When I'm watching a movie, I don't think "Wow, that is some good directing there". Maybe I think "This story is really good" and I can definitely recognise bad acting, but don't recognise good acting (i.e. it is just an 'adequate or awful' thing, it is not something you can be good at). I suppose I may also think "Wow, that is some cool scenery" - is that the responsibility of the director?
    Why do people always feel the need to categorise Art in this way? When I think of other art forms I don't really have a 'top 3' anything. Perhaps I will have like 50 favourite musicians who I like in different ways although I wouldn't really want to directly compare them and come up with a 'top 3'.
    I'm not hating, I just don't see the point. Are people allowed to mention more than 3?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Tarantino, Del Toro and Nolan.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Stanley Kubrick, Terry Gilliam, Ridley Scott.

Andrei Tarkovsky and Christopher Nolan make the top 5.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Scorsese, Kurosawa, Kieslowski, as I feel atm
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    1. Christopher Nolan
    2. James Cameron
    3. Steven Spielberg
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's going to sound obvious but Spielberg needs a mention here,c mon.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Kurosawa and Hitchcock. I'd say Bergman as well but I don't know enough of his works.
    • 140 followers

ReputationRep:
    James Cameron
    Steven Spielberg
    Quentin Tarantino
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    I can't say I normally notice, but I love all of Tarantino's films.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Agenda Suicide)
    It's going to sound obvious but Spielberg needs a mention here,c mon.
    Why? He's only done two decent films: Jurassic Park and ET.

Though even the DVD behind-the-scenes extra in JP made me dislike him as a person "when I was doing ET" being the start of every bragging sentence to his underlings.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Also, while I'm on a rant, Tarantino sucks balls IMO. Violence is much more effective when it isn't comic-book-cool which is why Reservoir Dogs is his only decent film as it showed violence as grim rather than a fun ride.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by When you see it...)
    Excuse me for my ignorance, but what exactly makes a good director? When I'm watching a movie, I don't think "Wow, that is some good directing there". Maybe I think "This story is really good" and I can definitely recognise bad acting, but don't recognise good acting (i.e. it is just an 'adequate or awful' thing, it is not something you can be good at). I suppose I may also think "Wow, that is some cool scenery" - is that the responsibility of the director?
    Why do people always feel the need to categorise Art in this way? When I think of other art forms I don't really have a 'top 3' anything. Perhaps I will have like 50 favourite musicians who I like in different ways although I wouldn't really want to directly compare them and come up with a 'top 3'.
    I'm not hating, I just don't see the point. Are people allowed to mention more than 3?
    My own favourite directors are ones who consistently make films that I like.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    1. Sergio Leone
    2. Stanley Kubrick
    3. Martin Scorsese
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toaster Leavings)
    Why? He's only done two decent films: Jurassic Park and ET.

Though even the DVD behind-the-scenes extra in JP made me dislike him as a person "when I was doing ET" being the start of every bragging sentence to his underlings.
    Saw somebody with an awesome name quote me, thought we were gonna share awesome admiration. How wrong.

Saving Private Ryan, MIB,. Schindlers List, transformers, although transformers and MIB is not on the same wavelength as SPR which isn't anywhere near as good as Schindler's list.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Asbestos P.)
    Jarmush
    Kar Wai Wong (purely for poetics and beauty)
    Kusturica (I love me some Balkan circus)

there's a lot of others, I seem to own all the films by Wes Anderson, but that might be just a professional (since I'm about to get a degree in Film, I can say that, ha!) habit.
    Degree in film?
    step 1: Watch the works of Stanley Kubrick.
    step 2: Obtain First.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Agenda Suicide)
    Saw somebody with an awesome name quote me, thought we were gonna share awesome admiration. How wrong.

Saving Private Ryan, MIB,. Schindlers List, transformers, although transformers and MIB is not on the same wavelength as SPR which isn't anywhere near as good as Schindler's list.
    I can't endorse any of those except Schindler's List, which I grant you I'd forgotten. Wasn't Transformers Michael Bay?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: February 28, 2012
New on TSR

Halloween 2014

Join the TSR Halloween party...if you dare!

Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki film section

Quick link:

Unanswered film threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.