The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I got myself some Doc Martin's guys!! :biggrin: Most expensive pair of shoes I think I have ever bought though....LOL! Their going to need some wearing in, but I am loving them so far :smile: I've had a few complements too in the two days I've tried them out at my jobs :tongue:
Reply 21
Would these be suitable for nursing shoes ? :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005F6PSBA/ref=asc_df_B005F6PSBA7359364/?tag=googlecouk06-21&creative=22134&creativeASIN=B005F6PSBA&linkCode=asn

I have a pair in patent black and wear them for my current job which involves lots of standing and walking and they are very comfy
Reply 22
At the moment I wear lonsdale black trainers (but don't look trainer ish) that I bought from sports direct in the sale at £15.

My last work shoes came from diechmann at £15 as well

I found expensive aren't always best and when wearing some flat shoes still hurt my feet so have had to go for more of a trainer type of shoe
Reply 23
Hi
the best shoes for NA's and RN's are Clarks un loop shoes they are amazing £65 which I don't think is that bad as they are real leather light weight and breathable.... I'm on my second pair in 3 years plus they aren't that bad looking
hope this helps :biggrin:
Original post by katypurples1012
Hey, wonderful people of TSR :biggrin:

So I'm working as an Auxiliary Nurse on my gap year, before I hopefully start my training in September, and could really do with some shoe advice! I was wondering what you other aspiring and training nurses have gone for as a longwearing comfortable shoe option? I've heard FootGlove are good, and even Crocs have been seen about, but which are the best?

Obviously my main specifications are;

- Good sole, with a close tread (vital for grip)
- Enclosed and provides good coverage of the foot (thick leather probably best I reckon)
- Slight rise at the heal (I've been told this is good to prevent leg ache etc)
- Comfort (long shifts on my feet, eek!)
- Oh, and black

Edit: - And not the ugly tie up one, if avoidable. You know, the typical 'nurse shoe'. Maybe a good quality strap option? I hope that make sense, I just want them to be reasonably likable :tongue:

I'm prepared to pay a fair amount if I know they will last, and I'm hoping they will do me for this year and well into my training (maybe into RGN years, if their exceptional!).

Thank you all :smile:
Reply 24
hey guys,

Enter student10 on the Dr Martens site for a 10% discount, helps on better shoes!
Reply 25
Clarke's Wave Walk. 12.5 hour shifts are a breeze wearing those.
Sketchers! Without a doubt! I have 3 pairs that I alternate through the week. Barrett's do student discount too. :-)
I'm a staff nurse myself and can honestly tell you that my shoes are always from clarkes!
Reply 28
Original post by ballroom beans
Sketchers! Without a doubt! I have 3 pairs that I alternate through the week. Barrett's do student discount too. :-)

That's a lot of money on shoes there. I have the one pair of sketchers and they've lasted me over a year already. I'd still rather wear my crocs but my workplace doesn't allow them.
Original post by moonkatt
That's a lot of money on shoes there. I have the one pair of sketchers and they've lasted me over a year already. I'd still rather wear my crocs but my workplace doesn't allow them.

I do long days and wanted to give my shoes a breather in between so they don't smell. Do hence 3 long days a week. 3 sets.
Hi I have moving and handling training in a care home later and have not yet received my uniform, what should I wear?!?!? I've been told wear trainers as you'll be on your feet a lot so I was going with converse and comfy jeggings, need advice on top! I have a loose casual shirt which I might wear, but is a T-shirt more appropriate?
Original post by NImedhopeful
Hi I have moving and handling training in a care home later and have not yet received my uniform, what should I wear?!?!? I've been told wear trainers as you'll be on your feet a lot so I was going with converse and comfy jeggings, need advice on top! I have a loose casual shirt which I might wear, but is a T-shirt more appropriate?

Sensible trousers/jeans/bottoms and something on top that you'll be comfortable making a range of movements in, such as sliding people across beds. Sensible footwear that covers the entire foot is usually acceptable rather than open toe ballet style shoes. Miniskirts aren't usually a good idea unless you enjoy flashing your frillies at everyone.
Can anyone recommend any suitable shoes for nursing that aren't made of real leather?! :/
Reply 33
I start volunteering in a hospital soon and i was wondering if this is suitable footwear? They are the generic crocs, so maybe the they are acceptable?

http://www.crocs.co.uk/crocs-jayna/11851,en_GB,pd.html?cid=001&cgid=women-footwear-flats
Original post by P-anashe
I start volunteering in a hospital soon and i was wondering if this is suitable footwear? They are the generic crocs, so maybe the they are acceptable?

http://www.crocs.co.uk/crocs-jayna/11851,en_GB,pd.html?cid=001&cgid=women-footwear-flats

Probably not because they are open toed, though I have a colleague who wears some. Quite a few places have banned crocs, have a chat with the people who you've organised volunteering though to see what they say is acceptable before paying a load of money for some shoes you'll never use.
I hate crocs but my friend got me a pair of these and there is no looking back they are amazing and sooooooo comfy!!!

Reply 36
Hi im also looking for new shoes as the unstructured by clarks have changed and the quality just isnt there anymore, the links dont seem to work though anymore, anychance theres a name etc for the shoes you've suggested?
I had a pair of all black, smart Lonsdale trainers that lasted me for 5 years (got them on sale for about £30). Traded them in recently for another pair, very comfy, long lasting, smart enough for uniform and cheap.
Original post by memifer
I'm not a nurse (or student nurse) but I do work in the NHS and I wear these:

http://www.clarks.co.uk/p/20312837

They are really comfy, like the most comfortable shoes I own, and they look good enough to wear outside of work if I'm going straight out afterwards (I don't wear uniform for my job as a Therapy Assistant). The sole doesn't look like it's got much grip, much I've yet to slip in them, even during the snow and ice...and I'm something of a klutz so it's a pretty good endorsement!

Don't go for crocs though, many NHS trusts have banned them as they are not suitable footwear.

I use this one and I'm a 3rd year nursing student :smile: I can assure you this baby is the most comfortable nursing shoes i have! It's funny too how whenever I'm in practice or having clinical based theory, I see a couple of student nurses, mentors and colleagues wearing the same shoes as me. Anyway, best of luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by P-anashe

Would not recommend crocs for nursing. I personally prefer sneakers with laces not the slip on types. It gives me a firm sense of traction and my whole foot stays firm inside the shoe. If you are looking for choices you can have a look at the nerdy nurse website and the
http://comfortingfootwear.com/best-nursing-shoes-in-white/ website. Both have some good selection of sneakers as well as clogs. But I prefer sneakers!

Latest

Trending

Trending