The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Fallowfield or City campus?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sarah1345
Is Whitworth Park next to Moss Side? I dunno, I just anticipated being in the city centre, but Oak House is swaying me. but isn't Fallowfield quite a rough area? Also, what are the closest cheap halls to the clubs? My mate from Liverpool Uni lived in the heart of the city, and it was so cool, being a 5 minute walk from Lime Street

I think the closest halls you're gunna get to city centre are the ones by north campus, which I believe are weston hall,lambert and fairfield and possibly Wright Robinson? Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. Whitworth Park isn't too near Moss Side, I think it's a common misconception because the actual park is partly in Moss Side but it's an absolute humongous one so it's a pretty vague description. I've been there a few times to go to ASDA and it's usually okay. At the beginning of the year I was fine going there by myself as it was light, but now in the darker months where I usually go at about 5pm I go with friends just to humour my mum more than anything haha.

Clubs in Manchester are fairly spread out from what I've found, you have your bars in fallowfield, all the posh stuff in deansgate then all the more notorious student ones down on princess street by the BBC, I can walk to most of these places from my halls but in all fairness most of the time we just taxi it as it's works out to about £1 each which is the same price as a bus fare, you will have no hassle getting around in Manchester so don't worry about living close to places.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Original post by tillytots
I think the closest halls you're gunna get to city centre are the ones by north campus, which I believe are weston hall,lambert and fairfield and possibly Wright Robinson? Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. Whitworth Park isn't too near Moss Side, I think it's a common misconception because the actual park is partly in Moss Side but it's an absolute humongous one so it's a pretty vague description. I've been there a few times to go to ASDA and it's usually okay. At the beginning of the year I was fine going there by myself as it was light, but now in the darker months where I usually go at about 5pm I go with friends just to humour my mum more than anything haha.

Clubs in Manchester are fairly spread out from what I've found, you have your bars in fallowfield, all the posh stuff in deansgate then all the more notorious student ones down on princess street by the BBC, I can walk to most of these places from my halls but in all fairness most of the time we just taxi it as it's works out to about £1 each which is the same price as a bus fare, you will have no hassle getting around in Manchester so don't worry about living close to places.

Are there any other supermarkets near Whitworth? Also, are there only certain nights when people go to Deansgate? I've heard it's the poshest part of Manchester :smile: Is Princess Street where all the gay bars are? I've heard students chill in the gay village a lot? Is the BBC area quite big? Would you be able to get work experience? :cute:
Original post by sarah1345
Are there any other supermarkets near Whitworth? Also, are there only certain nights when people go to Deansgate? I've heard it's the poshest part of Manchester :smile: Is Princess Street where all the gay bars are? I've heard students chill in the gay village a lot? Is the BBC area quite big? Would you be able to get work experience? :cute:

There are sainsburys and morrisons convenience stores right opposite whitworth which everyone uses and Tesco Express up the road on wilmslow park which is just that bit cheaper, there are some good deals on food occasionally but my flatmates and I tend to do an ASDA shop every few weeks to save some money, ASDA is in Hulme and takes about a 10 minute walk. There's also sainsburys in fallowfield but I've only been there once when I wanted to get some lunch whilst visiting houses.

I know nothing about Deansgate if I'm honest as it's not my sort of place, I've been for Carnage once. The main student nights there are pout on a monday at the revs in the locks, chic beat at missoula,, Avici white for WTF on Fridays is supposedly good too. But yeah I've only been to deansgate twice, it's expensive and I think there's dress codes?

Princess street isn't the gay village but canal street is on of its roads. I don't know about the whole student thing as I'm not gay so have never been :P. Princess street has the famous 5th ave (which is everyone's go to during the first few weeks, and a place where you seem to end up if you can't make your mind up, it's very cheesy and honestly not great but fine if you're hammered) there's also joshua brooks (brilliant on a tuesday and wednesday) and factory (thursday is 1p entry and £1 drinks) New wakefield street is just behind it and has Font (also in FF,£2 cockatails) sound control and subspace.

Also would really recommend The deaf institute by grosvenor and the antwerp mansion in Rusholme. Another famous student night is obviously the BOP at Jabez clegg but it's a bit 'questionable' shall we say (only go at end of term and make sure you're hammered) avoid it other than that!

I know nothing of the BBC I'm afraid.

((God I love to ramble :P))
Are there any other supermarkets near Whitworth?
There's a small Morrisons, a Sainsburys Local, and a few other convenience stores near WP. After that, there's either Asda Moss Side (to which there is no realistic bus service, so you'd have to cycle or brave it on foot) or Sainsburys Fallowfield (very easily accessible by bus). If you want international food then there are Chinese supermarkets in Chinatown and South Asian / Middle Eastern supermarkets on the Curry Mile (Wilmslow Road), which are fairly cheap.

Also, are there only certain nights when people go to Deansgate? I've heard it's the poshest part of Manchester
Pout at Revolution (Mondays) is probably the most popular. People usually dress up for Pout, but I'm not a massive fan of Deansgate myself - it always just seems a bit soulless - so I tend to avoid it, but others love it! Other places there include Sakura and Baa Bar. I'm not sure it's the poshest bit of Manchester - it has some pretentions, but always descends into the usual student behaviour that happens everywhere else.

Is Princess Street where all the gay bars are?
No, that's Canal Street

I've heard students chill in the gay village a lot
Not really TBH, unless they're actually gay. Some of the gay bars have a reputation for not letting straight people in. I've never been, although a few of my flatmates went once.

Is the BBC area quite big? Would you be able to get work experience? :cute:
Nowadays, I'm pretty sure it's just an empty office block - last time I went past all the signage had been taken down and I had to do a double check to check it was the right building! I think the functions there will all have been moved to MediaCityUK at Salford Quays. As for work experience - I don't know, but I don't see why not - it's a really big operation that they have going on there now.
There are sainsburys and morrisons convenience stores right opposite whitworth which everyone uses and Tesco Express up the road on wilmslow park which is just that bit cheaper, there are some good deals on food occasionally but my flatmates and I tend to do an ASDA shop every few weeks to save some money, ASDA is in Hulme and takes about a 10 minute walk. There's also sainsburys in fallowfield but I've only been there once when I wanted to get some lunch whilst visiting houses.

I know nothing about Deansgate if I'm honest as it's not my sort of place, I've been for Carnage once. The main student nights there are pout on a monday at the revs in the locks, chic beat at missoula,, Avici white for WTF on Fridays is supposedly good too. But yeah I've only been to deansgate twice, it's expensive and I think there's dress codes?

Princess street isn't the gay village but canal street is on of its roads. I don't know about the whole student thing as I'm not gay so have never been :P. Princess street has the famous 5th ave (which is everyone's go to during the first few weeks, and a place where you seem to end up if you can't make your mind up, it's very cheesy and honestly not great but fine if you're hammered) there's also joshua brooks (brilliant on a tuesday and wednesday) and factory (thursday is 1p entry and £1 drinks) New wakefield street is just behind it and has Font (also in FF,£2 cockatails) sound control and subspace.

Also would really recommend The deaf institute by grosvenor and the antwerp mansion in Rusholme. Another famous student night is obviously the BOP at Jabez clegg but it's a bit 'questionable' shall we say (only go at end of term and make sure you're hammered) avoid it other than that!

I know nothing of the BBC I'm afraid.

((God I love to ramble :P))

Thought it's best to avoid Rusholme? Cheers for the info!
Original post by victoryshinesonus

It's not that bad, its still studenty. I wouldnt say avoid it, it's like anywhere else.

Lots of people opt for private halls and 2nd/3rd year accom there so it cant be too bad? Only time I go is for antwerp, though.
It's not that bad, its still studenty. I wouldnt say avoid it, it's like anywhere else.

Lots of people opt for private halls and 2nd/3rd year accom there so it cant be too bad? Only time I go is for antwerp, though.

A okay, also, is the Study Abroad quite competitive? I wanna do a semester in America, that would be SO cool! Would look great on a CV as well!
Original post by victoryshinesonus

Nah, it's fine. There are a lot of immigrants there, primarily from the Indian subcontinent, and so you get a lot of shops to serve that population (hence, cheap supermarkets with unusual foods!). However, it's not dangerous - it's always pretty busy, and I have no worries walking down there at night by myself.
Reply 48
Moss Side isn't nearly as bad as people make out...made me laugh a bit there!
Reply 49
Original post by zna
Thanks for that, I think I'm going to go with Sheavyn house, Richmond park and oak house. How was the shared bathroom situation? I just have an issue with if I end up with sharing with someone who's truly unhygienic, if you understand what I'm trying to get at.

Shared bathroom was fine, never had any problems plus cleaners come in once a week anyway so it can't get too unhygienic. I didn't know any one at Sheavyn but I know people from Richmond Park who really liked their halls. :smile: Hope you get your first choice, but any of those 3 would give you a great experience I'm sure.
Hello
I've received an unconditional offer to study at Manchester business school for Masters programme. I have also been offered accommodation at Fallowfield campus in Linton House. I was wondering if it's possible to change accommodation, i chose city campus as my 1st preferance as it has ensuite bedrooms. Please give a heads up as to what can be done?
Original post by Samiashah
Hello
I've received an unconditional offer to study at Manchester business school for Masters programme. I have also been offered accommodation at Fallowfield campus in Linton House. I was wondering if it's possible to change accommodation, i chose city campus as my 1st preferance as it has ensuite bedrooms. Please give a heads up as to what can be done?

You can apply to move from 1st October, which is about two weeks after you move in. At that point, you can move into any postgraduate hall which has space.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending