Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

AQA Business Studies BUSS4 2012 - 21 June 2012 Thread

Announcements Posted on
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tdkr)
    what must i do to get a mid-high B in this exam ?
    urmm revise?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0range)
    urmm revise?
    more specifically ?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tdkr)
    more specifically ?
    Have good thorough examples which you can talk about and know all the theory!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    No idea how I'm gonna pass this exam.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Section B seems a joke most of the time. Theres usually really random industries in it. How the hell are we to know so much detail about industries such the building industry and bottled water companies? They should make the whole exam research based, so they should give the industries in Section B before hand too or they should just stop the application side of it for Section B and just make it theory.

:/
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smeemi)
    Section B seems a joke most of the time. Theres usually really random industries in it. How the hell are we to know so much detail about industries such the building industry and bottled water companies? They should make the whole exam research based, so they should give the industries in Section B before hand too or they should just stop the application side of it for Section B and just make it theory.

:/
    That's where they want you to read the news and stuff, but it's still pretty straightforward, just bull**** your way through it
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    That's where they want you to read the news and stuff, but it's still pretty straightforward, just bull**** your way through it
    so this topic is mergers and takeovers right, so just research on companies that have done this recently ? but what companies must i know for the section B part of this paper ?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tdkr)
    so this topic is mergers and takeovers right, so just research on companies that have done this recently ? but what companies must i know for the section B part of this paper ?
    off the top of my head, apple is a pretty good one to know, I'll edit this later with my notes
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    off the top of my head, apple is a pretty good one to know, I'll edit this later with my notes
    Yeh Apple is a good one. But it does depend on what topic comes up, you should look to have about 2 businesses for each subject area PESTLC.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Theturnbull9)
    Yeh Apple is a good one. But it does depend on what topic comes up, you should look to have about 2 businesses for each subject area PESTLC.
    What's PESTLC?

Yh I have like a total of like 5 but I made them in like march time, so forgotten most of them :P
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    What's PESTLC?

Yh I have like a total of like 5 but I made them in like march time, so forgotten most of them :P
    Political
    Ethical
    Social
    Technological
    Legal & Competitive

They're the main topics that can come up on section B of the paper. Look to have about 2 businesses for each topic area and you should be fine.

• 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Political
    Ethical
    Social
    Technological
    Legal & Competitive

They're the main topics that can come up on section B of the paper. Look to have about 2 businesses for each topic area and you should be fine.

Thank you
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thank you
    No problem mate, good luck with your exams
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    No problem mate, good luck with your exams
    You too
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Heyy.. okay so just literally started revision for buss4.. I needed examples of HOSTILE takeovers please
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 11billi11)
    Heyy.. okay so just literally started revision for buss4.. I needed examples of HOSTILE takeovers please
    Cadbury's.. Not many of the Kraft shareholders where happy with the takeover. Cadbury workers also annoyed about the takeover, potential for hostility.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Cadbury's.. Not many of the Kraft shareholders where happy with the takeover. Cadbury workers also annoyed about the takeover, potential for hostility.
    Also, you can check out Tutor2u and go on the 'buss4' forum, some really good examples on there.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Will do, Thanks to all, for Sec B of the paper, are we meant to have some sort of general sound knowledge of various businesses and in how much depth because there is soo much out there :eek:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 11billi11)
    Some good example of hostile takeovers are ones that have been intervened/prevented by the Competition Commission to prevent a market becoming a monopoly.

Like kind of an example for this is that Morrison's took over Safeway in 2004 to prevent them being a target of takeover by Tesco and Asda. But the commission saw this as a move towards a monopoly, so only allowed the deal togo ahead if hey sold some of its 479 stores, which it did, most of which to Waitrose part of the John Lewis Partnership.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    The only examples I can think of are Kraft/ Cadbury and News corp & BSKYB
    Government interventions:-

Lloyds TSB takeover of HBOS - Needed to save bank but if was in normal conditions then would have been referred to CC (Competition Commission)

Morrison's takeover of Safeway - Had to sell some of Safeway stores for the takeover to proceed

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 26, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.