The Student Room Group

Shop staff/security watching you

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
The other day in New Look my sister and I realised that the security guy was following us up the aisles. I didn't really care since it was his job but he then FOLLOWED US UPSTAIRS! My sister was furious and started to cuss him loudly, his face when he heard what she was saying was hilarious :biggrin:
This happened to me in Primark once - a security guard who had been stood by the door started following me around (I was in with a group of friends, we all split up when we went in to look at different things). I'm white, don't look like a "chav" in the slightest and I wasn't wearing a tracksuit or even a hoodie - so when I realised he was following me, I kept walking around and around the same display, not even bothering to look at things, to see if he'd follow me. He did :awesome: it felt like playing tag with a really really really slow-moving person.
When I'm leaving a shop and notice a security guard on the door I always try to look innocent (although I am) and then get freaked out that I look suspicious.
And I find people following you around offering their help really unnerving too. But other than that I clearly don't notice.
Although it wasn't a big store I was in, I know how you feel! I was wondering about a really small suoeemarket beside our apartment complex in Tenerife looking for bits and pieces, when I noticed the Spanish shop assistant was standing in the same aisle staring at me. Everytime I moved to a different aiske (there was only like 4) she moved too so she could keep an eye on me. Started to really piss me off...I'm not going to steal anything ffs!! :mad: Funny thing was though once I'd paid for everything and was walking out the shop, I was curious to see if she was still staring at me so turned around...and yes she still was! :lol: Spent the rest of the holiday hoping I wouldn't see her again! :p:
One time when my sister won some WHSmith vouchers she was at the till inquiring the cashier about it while I browsed through the aisles looking for nothing in particular. Whenever I looked up from an item, I'd notice the security guard nearby watching me. Wherever I went he did the same. That was the most unnerving shop experience of my life. This went on for about 15 minutes. I actually felt like screaming, "I AINT NO DAMN SHOPLIFTER FFS".

Cause to be honest, he kinda ruined the rest of my day.
When I was about fourteen my friend and I were in Claire's, just looking around as you do. I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary but then my friend heard one of the sales assistants say to her colleague "Make sure you keep an eye on those two", obviously referring to us because we were the only ones in the shop.
I don't know what her reasons were but it really pissed me off because we hadn't done anything wrong, and I've never stolen anything in my life. As you can see I'm totally over it now.
Original post by hannahchan
surely if you went regularly they would recognize you and would not think you a suspect of shop lifting.

Anyway seems pretty hard to shoplift a skateboard without it being detected :s-smilie:

I've got a few friends who worked in Mothercare (different stores, not even the same one to suggest that store just had a problem with security) when they were at school. They said that FREQUENTLY they would have people steal prams, which you would think would be difficult because they are so large... but they would just take them off the displays to 'have a look at' and then put all their bags on it etc and walk out of the store! You would have thought that would have been a difficult one to get away with!
Reply 67
I was at Geneva airport after visiting CERN for the day with the school a while back and everyone was meeting up to go to the boarding gate.

Bearing in mind: I'd been up for about 20 hours having got up at 3 that morning so I had stubble, hat hair and was looking incredibly rough and had a hoodie on with the hood up (to hide the hat hair :tongue:)

So I decided it would be funny to walk into Cartier - a really, really, really expensive jewellers.

The exact shop:

I walked staright up to the counter in the middle and got the dirtiest look imaginable from the judgmental bimbo behind the counter. It was hilarious.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by hannahhaworth
When I'm leaving a shop and notice a security guard on the door I always try to look innocent (although I am) and then get freaked out that I look suspicious.
And I find people following you around offering their help really unnerving too. But other than that I clearly don't notice.

Looks can be deceptive, especially when it comes down to you :smile:

Original post by Ptolemy001
The other day in New Look my sister and I realised that the security guy was following us up the aisles. I didn't really care since it was his job but he then FOLLOWED US UPSTAIRS! My sister was furious and started to cuss him loudly, his face when he heard what she was saying was hilarious :biggrin:

Some of these security guys are just plain paranoid, they should spend time trying to catch real criminals.
Reply 69
Original post by SloaneRanger

Some of these security guys are just plain paranoid, they should spend time trying to catch real criminals.

'Real criminals' don't walk around with a big, flashing, 'I'm a real criminal' sign above their head.
Reply 70
Original post by Davsters
'Real criminals' don't walk around with a big, flashing, 'I'm a real criminal' sign above their head.

Bull****. I saw this guy stealing stuff in MacDonald's and he was pretty obviously a criminal of some sort:

Reply 71
I work in a retail shop - if I am being blunt you must look like a thief, and naturally they will follow you. Plus if you're in a group splitting up all the time that's a real attention drawer. What they pick up on is the fact that normally the thieves talk for 10 mins about some little item which isn't that complicated to make it look like they're doing something. If you want a chat with your mates just do it elsewhere than a retail shop as you will have them pick up on it. Unfortunately as well it tends to be people from liverpool that are picked up on most and I can safely say every single thief we've had in the store has been wearing a tracksuit etc... So maybe a change in your appearance may solve it? :tongue:
Reply 72
Original post by Einheri
Bull****. I saw this guy stealing stuff in MacDonald's and he was pretty obviously a criminal of some sort:

It's the red gloves. It's always the red gloves.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending