The Student Room Group

Unpopular Music Opinions

Scroll to see replies

I get too bored of 'Stairway to Heaven' in the first minute to bear listening to the rest of it.
Original post by The_master616
Most heavy metal music is overrated and the majority of it's fans are stupid, close minded barely literate hypocritical morons who are unable to think for themselves and are often worse than whatever they are trying to 'rebel' against.

Also, I think dubstep is the stupidest thing since Paris Hilton was allowed to be taken seriously.

I agree.

Also, Beatles are overrated, s club 7 are crap so are spice girls. Hate boy bands with a passion

Posted from TSR Mobile
36 Chambers is a slightly overrated album. Several members of the Wu Tang Clan have actually released much better albums on their own.
Oasis are sh*t and sound the same all the time

Boy bands who dont play music shouldnt be around. People should write their own songs not got paid a fortune just to sing

Posted from TSR Mobile
Also dance/dubstep/mc and all the other **** teenagers listen to and play loudly thinking its cool well its just bad.

Also any rap that is about having tons of money, having sex with girls all the time or frequent use of alcohol/drugs is really bad. Rap is much better when the lyrics are political and are trying to prove a point to change society or the way people think about something. Also when black people overuse the word 'n*gga' why the hell use it if you wouldnt want to be called it by a white person

I also think my favourite band, madness, are underrated. They write great pop music themselves and are good at their instruments. But theyre always overlooked

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 805
People take rap lyrics too seriously.

The 80's is not the best era of music, it's nothing more than a cornfest.
(edited 9 years ago)
I don't think that music is all about the lyrics/vocals.
Original post by heavyhandscott
Oasis are sh*t and sound the same all the time

Agree.

Original post by heavyhandscott
Also dance/dubstep/mc and all the other **** teenagers listen to and play loudly thinking its cool well its just bad.

What style of music do you think this is - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QutJS4mEUhM

Rap is much better when the lyrics are political and are trying to prove a point to change society

Na.

Original post by trrr
The 80's is not the best era of music, it's nothing more than a cornfest.

Agree.
2Pac was shite and his music is boring. He has become a legend because he carked it and because of the feud with Biggie. Average flow, cringe worthy content, bad production.

The Stone Roses are a pub band and Brown is a talentless chimp. It's all very 'emperor's new clothes'.

Michael Jackson was shite.
Original post by Wilfred Little
2Pac was shite and his music is boring. He has become a legend because he carked it and because of the feud with Biggie. Average flow, cringe worthy content, bad production.

The Stone Roses are a pub band and Brown is a talentless chimp. It's all very 'emperor's new clothes'.

Michael Jackson was shite.

Agree on pac
Disagree on the other two
Original post by stillridin
Agree on pac
Disagree on the other two

Glad you agree on one of them at least.
Meek Mill is better than Drake
It doesn't matter how many retweets Stormzy gets, how many awards Konnichiwa wins or how many articles are published about Grime being 'back', it is shite and it was music of the times. It can never be what it was again.

It's gone. Get over it.
1D actually has decent voices and songs but many people disagree and will refuse to listen to them just because people think they are a band aimed for 12 year old girls.
There has been many experiments where if you told a random stranger to listen to any of 1D songs without telling that person who the artist are they will very likely say that the music is alright/good but as soon as you tell them the artist are 1D they are straight up like "no, they're terrible!"
It doesn't matter how many retweets Stormzy gets, how many awards Konnichiwa wins or how many articles are published about Grime being 'back', it is shite and it was music of the times. It can never be what it was again.

It's gone. Get over it.

No music is 'music of the times'. It just moves between mainstream and underground. Even new recordings of Gregorian chant are being made.
Original post by TheDefiniteArticle
No music is 'music of the times'. It just moves between mainstream and underground. Even new recordings of Gregorian chant are being made.

Grime was. BIDC is a good example of this. Grime was experimental and unique at it's peak and perfectly captured the time and place it came from. The bigger recordings now are just rehashes of the past.

I don't really think being mainstream or not makes a difference.
Grime was. BIDC is a good example of this. Grime was experimental and unique at it's peak and perfectly captured the time and place it came from. The bigger recordings now are just rehashes of the past.

I don't really think being mainstream or not makes a difference.

I'll admit to knowing next to nothing about grime, so apologies if this is a bad example: if Boy in Da Corner was released today, would it be worse solely because of its release date?
Original post by TheDefiniteArticle
I'll admit to knowing next to nothing about grime, so apologies if this is a bad example: if Boy in Da Corner was released today, would it be worse solely because of its release date?

I don't think it would lose much of it's artistic merit as it is a fantastic sounding album and is put together very well, but there plenty of tracks that sound like it that came before it, it would definitely not have the shock value that it had in 2003 and would lose it's originality. That was a massive part of it's appeal at the time because nobody even knew what genre it was. There were tracks made about this at that time.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wot_Do_U_Call_It%3F
I don't think it would lose much of it's artistic merit as it is a fantastic sounding album and is put together very well, but there plenty of tracks that sound like it that came before it, it would definitely not have the shock value that it had in 2003 and would lose it's originality. That was a massive part of it's appeal at the time because nobody even knew what genre it was. There were tracks made about this at that time.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wot_Do_U_Call_It%3F

Hm. I think you and I likely disagree on more philosophical elements of musical merit, in that I tend to think musical quality exists independently of provenance. For instance, I first heard 36 Chambers in late 2014, and at the time had no idea of the context, or even the date of release. I later discovered that, but I don't think I enjoyed it more for knowing that.
Original post by hbk4894
Do you think you have any Music opinion(s) that could be considered unpopular or even 'controversial'?

Surely I have. Who cares that music is popular or not? not me. Don't like the most songs written by Michael Jackson, don't like some songs from the Queen. There are some songs from 80s and even 70s I like.*

Quick Reply

Latest