The Student Room Group

A ban on taking holidays during term time?

Scroll to see replies

I have no problem with whatever time of year a holiday is only that people take advantage which to me pretty much spoils the child.

A holiday is a holiday so is someone whinges that they have to go on (a expensive) holiday at a certain time of year due to it being the best weather and nothing else then that is being spoiled since they should be grateful they even had a holiday in the first place

Theres a difference between that and someone who cant afford much and finds a holiday at short notice which if they dont take may not get another for the entire year.

I mostly had term time holidays but it was because my parents could only afford like 3/4 days away at Butlins that cost £50(plus about £20 in petrol) a year and even struggled with that or in social work caravan(which actually I really enjoyed) and my dad did used to send me to school sometimes on holiday but only if the council gave a temp bus pass as they couldnt afford £2 a day fares(this was in the 90's over double that now) but he did manage to get free bus travel for a week for my brother during his exams as he spoke to the bus driver the day before and mentioned it(luckily was a local firm not a chain like Stagecoach)
I had two weeks off every year during term time and it did not effect my education in any way, particularly in primary school because you don't even do anything except play rounders.
In secondary school, if you have exams then the rule should be applied but in years 7, 8 and 9 you aren't even missing anything. One week off won't ruin your education.
I think it's justified. The statistics say if your miss a couple of weeks during your GCSE year then you can drop a whole grade. Seeing as the whole point of school is to ensure as many people as possible achieve C grades, you can kind of get where this is coming from.
Original post by breakeven
I had two weeks off every year during term time and it did not effect my education in any way, particularly in primary school because you don't even do anything except play rounders.
In secondary school, if you have exams then the rule should be applied but in years 7, 8 and 9 you aren't even missing anything. One week off won't ruin your education.

Except the basics like reading, writing, times table etc.
If it's authorised for staff to occasionally take holidays then as long as it is authorised for the child then I don't see the problem. It's only 1 week! They can catch up real easy these days, it doesn't take that long! If schools want to promote a message of equality then it can't be one rule for the teachers and another for the children.
One could argue that children who's parents can afford to take them on holiday, even in off-peak, are more likely to be better academically and so could cope with missing one week of studies without it having an adverse effect on their grades.

The Education secretary should focus on more pressing issues like educational disadvantage.
i think it is extremeley out of order and they are totally ignoring the value of travelling and how much it can benefit your development! i've had at least 6 holidays during term time.. from 2 weeks - 4 weeks... it didn't negatively affect me!

i agree you shouldn't be able to go in term time from years 11-13, unless for a week... but i still don't think it should be prohibited, it should be the choice of the parents and child.
Original post by drbluebox
Except the basics like reading, writing, times table etc.

You don't just have one week to learn that, you get years? Plus, basics like that you can practice while your on holiday.
There are already 13+ weeks of holiday in a 52 week year, demanding more is frankly taking the piss.
Reply 89
Original post by rich2606
There are already 13+ weeks of holiday in a 52 week year, demanding more is frankly taking the piss.

The point is, holiday prices skyrocket during normal holiday periods, so going during term time can be the only financially viable option for people. You could argue that no one needs to go on holiday, but that's another discussion.
Original post by Hopple
The point is, holiday prices skyrocket during normal holiday periods, so going during term time can be the only financially viable option for people. You could argue that no one needs to go on holiday, but that's another discussion.

If they can't find a single affordable holiday in that generous time frame they aren't trying hard enough.
Reply 91
Original post by rich2606
If they can't find a single affordable holiday in that generous time frame they aren't trying hard enough.

As I said, you could argue no one needs to go on holiday, but that's for another thread. Like for like, things are more expensive during the holidays because holiday providers know that demand is much, much higher than at other times. Yes you can go camping or have a day trip somewhere to get something cheap, but if you want to have a week somewhere, it's far cheaper to do so during term time, have a look yourself.
Reply 92
Original post by olddad
As anothetr parent, I agree. We did not take holidays during son's secondery years. But in primary school we did. All he missed were several days of the kids being shown videos while the teachers got ready for the next term.
And for those who say we were damaging his education, he did brilliantly in A levels and is now at Nottingham.
Heard any more about this parents' Forum?

RE the parents forum;I'd actually forgotten all about that, thanks for reminding me.I havent heard anything else, just the initial PM from the mod.
Original post by madders94
Yes, but you CAN go on holidays in the school holidays. There should be some leniency for the families who can't, otherwise it's just further increasing the divide between the well-off and the disadvantaged students.

Not really. People with no money don't tend to go on holiday at all and anyway there's half term and easter holidays if they can't afford to go during the peak season.

I'm 19 and I've been on 4 family holidays in my life, one to greece when I was like 4 with my parents that I don't remember, one when I was 9 to cyprus with my mum and stepdad, one to cancun with my dad when I was 12 and another one to feurteventura with my dad when I was 14 that was basically free due to the world's strongest hurricane on record putting a bit of a dampener on the previous holiday lol.

I don't think any of those were in term time, the 2nd one was in the summer, the 3rd was during autumn half term and the crap freebie one was in the summer and I havn't been on an actual family holiday that my family have had to pay for since I was 12. Not going on amazing holidays every year never did me any harm and I never felt a division between me and the kids who went to florida all the time. My oldest best friend who I've been friends with for 15 years goes abroad 2 or 3 times a year and always has done and I've never really thought that much about it.

Some people have more money than other people and can afford to do things that other people can't. I learnt that pretty early on and I don't think it's something to shelter children from because it's just a simple fact of life. If kids realise at a young age that other kids can do things they can't due to family income then it motivates them to work hard and earn more money so that they will hopefully one day be able to go and possibly take their future children wherever the hell they like in the middle of august. I don't think that should be seen as a negative thing and I don't see why people are always trying to make children the same regardless of income.
Reply 94
Original post by littleone271
Not really. People with no money don't tend to go on holiday at all and anyway there's half term and easter holidays if they can't afford to go during the peak season.

I'm 19 and I've been on 4 family holidays in my life, one to greece when I was like 4 with my parents that I don't remember, one when I was 9 to cyprus with my mum and stepdad, one to cancun with my dad when I was 12 and another one to feurteventura with my dad when I was 14 that was basically free due to the world's strongest hurricane on record putting a bit of a dampener on the previous holiday lol.

I don't think any of those were in term time, the 2nd one was in the summer, the 3rd was during autumn half term and the crap freebie one was in the summer and I havn't been on an actual family holiday that my family have had to pay for since I was 12. Not going on amazing holidays every year never did me any harm and I never felt a division between me and the kids who went to florida all the time. My oldest best friend who I've been friends with for 15 years goes abroad 2 or 3 times a year and always has done and I've never really thought that much about it.

Some people have more money than other people and can afford to do things that other people can't. I learnt that pretty early on and I don't think it's something to shelter children from because it's just a simple fact of life. If kids realise at a young age that other kids can do things they can't due to family income then it motivates them to work hard and earn more money so that they will hopefully one day be able to go and possibly take their future children wherever the hell they like in the middle of august. I don't think that should be seen as a negative thing and I don't see why people are always trying to make children the same regardless of income.

Read my most recent post, I wasn't talking about money.
Reply 95
The simple solution is to organise your holiday when it's the holidays.

IMO they give us enough time throughout different times of the year to do so.
Original post by madders94
I'm not talking about money here though - even if I had a billion pounds, we couldn't go on holiday outside of school holidays. Most people, if they save up for a few years, can go on holiday in school holidays. My family will never be able to do that, and I'm talking about when it's something other than the money that is playing a part - mainly young carers, because that's what I have experience of being - we're given very little help or leniency by schools or the government, and tend to need a holiday more than most students who can go jetting off whenever they want, and if holidays in school time were banned, money still wouldn't be a problem - we can't go in holiday time.

By disadvantaged, I meant the ones who have family/health problems that prevent them from being able to do things that the well-off (in terms of health) can.

If you have the money then why can't you go in holiday time? Sorry if I'm missing something.. just found that post a bit confusing..
Original post by Tom26070
The simple solution is to organise your holiday when it's the holidays.

IMO they give us enough time throughout different times of the year to do so.

I agree. There's plenty of time to go on holiday for a week during half term or for two weeks at easter or christmas. We break up from college mid june which is about a month earlier than the schools do and just before the prices go up so I don't understand why some people at my college go on holiday during term time to be honest.
Reply 98
Original post by Annie72
RE the parents forum;I'd actually forgotten all about that, thanks for reminding me.I havent heard anything else, just the initial PM from the mod.

Me too. I have e mailed them but nothing back yet.
I say allow it.

Because I'm self centered and banning it has ZERO adverse affect on my life.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending