The Student Room Group

A ban on taking holidays during term time?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by littleone271
If you have the money then why can't you go in holiday time? Sorry if I'm missing something.. just found that post a bit confusing..

I've said it earlier in the thread - my dad's illness means he can't be in big crowds - he spends most, if not all, of the summer holidays shut up in the house avoiding contact, and we look after him, mainly me and my mum, so our only options are either to never have a holiday and end up resenting my dad when it isn't his fault, or take just one week in term time to go to a holiday park when it's quieter, so that he has the comfort of the caravan if he wants but can still have fun with us some of the time, and me and my mum and my siblings can actually have fun, go out swimming and go places where we can actually relax. We always catch up afterwards, and the government gives us so little help and schools give us so little leniency that I really don't think it's too much to ask for one week out of however many to actually be able to enjoy being a family rather than carers.

EDIT - Wow, sorry for having a Dad who's ill. Seriously, whoever negged me, man the f*** up and have the balls to post here and tell me why.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 101
So many kill joys in this thread it's unbelievable.

So long as you don't take the time off over exam's then having a week or two off a year is going to make **** all difference.
Original post by scriggy
So many kill joys in this thread it's unbelievable.

So long as you don't take the time off over exam's then having a week or two off a year is going to make **** all difference.

I completley agree but i do know someoe,whose parentstook them out n holiday and they missed exams :mad:.I refused a week-long school trip i really wanted to go on because i had an exam on.
Original post by madders94
I've said it earlier in the thread - my dad's illness means he can't be in big crowds - he spends most, if not all, of the summer holidays shut up in the house avoiding contact, and we look after him, mainly me and my mum, so our only options are either to never have a holiday and end up resenting my dad when it isn't his fault, or take just one week in term time to go to a holiday park when it's quieter, so that he has the comfort of the caravan if he wants but can still have fun with us some of the time, and me and my mum and my siblings can actually have fun, go out swimming and go places where we can actually relax. We always catch up afterwards, and the government gives us so little help and schools give us so little leniency that I really don't think it's too much to ask for one week out of however many to actually be able to enjoy being a family rather than carers.

Oh that's fair enough then. How old are you now though? Surely you go on holiday with friends instead?
Reply 104
It depends on these factors:
1 - When the holiday is, i.e. it should not be in the middle of term. However, missing a few days before the summer holidays won't really affect them; in my experience we just watched movies, played sport, etc.
2 - Their year; GCSE students and sixth form students shouldn't take time off as their education needs to come first. Also, years 11 & 13 have a rather long summer after their exams, so they can avoid high costs during the popular months.
3 - How hard they work when they're in class.
4 - If they can produce proof that they were on holiday and they have caught up with the work

Therefore, I can't really say whether holidays during term time should be banned as it depends on the circumstances.
Reply 105
Original post by littleone271
Oh that's fair enough then. How old are you now though? Surely you go on holiday with friends instead?

I'm 17. My friends aren't really the sort who want to go on holiday, and the ones who would are the ones who'd want one of these holidays in Malia or Ayia Napa or something and get off their heads every day, and that sort of thing really doesn't interest me (I'm not much of a drinker so I know I'd end up being the one mopping up sick and spending my holiday dragging my friends back to hotel rooms).

In half term I went to a hotel with my boyfriend and I absolutely loved it, and I want to go on holiday with him (I've no doubt we will in the future) but at the moment we're saving up for other things together so my family holiday is the only time I really get.
Original post by madders94
I'm 17. My friends aren't really the sort who want to go on holiday, and the ones who would are the ones who'd want one of these holidays in Malia or Ayia Napa or something and get off their heads every day, and that sort of thing really doesn't interest me (I'm not much of a drinker so I know I'd end up being the one mopping up sick and spending my holiday dragging my friends back to hotel rooms).

In half term I went to a hotel with my boyfriend and I absolutely loved it, and I want to go on holiday with him (I've no doubt we will in the future) but at the moment we're saving up for other things together so my family holiday is the only time I really get.

Oh ok well if you're on a budget then I highly recommend Newquay in cornwall when you're 18. It's full of young people and there's stuff to do besides nightclubbing like surfing and things. I went there for a week with my friends last summer when we were all 18 and we stayed at a campsite (called smugglers) in tents and there was an outdoor swimming pool and things and the buses into the town were really good so we'd go there a lot of the time during the day for a bit before going back to the tents to get ready for clubbing. The cars were only actually used to get there and back. It was really good fun :smile:
The rule at my secondary school was that term-time holidays were allowed with permission from the student's head of year. I think something like that is a better idea than an outright ban, it allows parents who want a term-time holiday for a specific reason (for example, my parents pulled me out for a holiday during term-time when my brother was well enough to travel for a small period of time in between treatments for a chronic illness) but stops parents from pulling their kids out of school for holidays regularly.

Some parents will take their kids out of school for term-time holidays several times a year, if they can afford to be going on holiday that often they can probably afford to pay to go in the school holidays. Also, while I think family holidays are great and everyone deserves a break, when did it become the norm for everyone to jet off to expensive overseas destinations? People seem to expect it as their right to be able to holiday abroad at least once a year. My family had some great holidays (during school holidays!) in Scotland when I was young and that was further than most of my school friends went. We went on a school trip to France in Year 6 and it was the first time abroad for every single child in my class.
I think they shouldn't be allowed but the significance of the impact really depends on what year your in and when they're going
Reply 109
What gets me is parents who book hair/dentist/doctor's appointments right at the end of the school day or generally in school hours.

Fair enough if it's absolutely necessary, but it's not. Think I've come out of school 20 minutes early to go to the dentist ONCE. Primary school till 6th form.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending