Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Unpopular Gaming Opinions

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    As much as I love gears of war 2/3 it just doesn't have the same OMG this is game is amazing as Gears of War 1, they just don't hold a candle too it.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PortionsForFoxes)
    Oh, I worry about the negs that these sorts of threads always get but...

I find xbox and ps3 games to be a dumbed down version of PC games

and a game with swords in is infinitely better than a game with guns.
    I was going to neg you for your first comment but had to rep you for the latter comment. Real talk.
    • 29 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sazhns2)
    All sports games are terrible cash-cows.
    That's not exactly something that's 'unpopular'...or even 'opinion' :p: By and large, it's absolutely true and quite widely recognised as such :sad: If there is one thing sports games desperately need, it's solid competition. 15 years ago EA totally dominated the football market with FIFA, but each iteration of the game was little more than an updated database, an updated soundtrack (because that obviously gets lots of sales :erm:) and, if we were lucky, a few extra polygons on the player models. Once Konami started giving them serious competition with Pro Evo, we suddenly saw EA get their arses into gear to stop being quite so lazy. From what I gather, in the past few years both series have kind of run out of steam a bit...perhaps Take 2 could do with branching out of the American sports scene and start making football games to try and spur things on between the three companies

(Original post by Jordan_1)
    Playing games on a PC are no fun what so ever. Stick your graphics up your arse, I'll take a playstation controller any day.
    The graphics! The graphics! The graphics!!!
    Graphics CAN be much better on PC compared to consoles, but the proper gamers will definitely point to gameplay as being more important...and when Minecraft with its blocky visuals (see first pic) was one of the most popular games on PC last year and Terraria (see second pic) at one point in the summer was the highest-selling game on Steam, that goes to show just how little gamers care about shiny, sparkly graphics - let's face it, a game can have photo-realistic graphics and look amazing but if the game engine underneath that is dull and incapable of grasping the player by the scruff of the neck to keep them playing then the game isn't exactly a good game. However, I imagine your comment about how "they always bring graphics into the argument" would be in context of comparing 360 vs PS3 vs PC versions of the same game, where you know things like (unmodded) gameplay are going to be the same, and it's the differences between the formats (graphics being the prime example because of hardware limitations and so on) that make up the bulk of the debate. And as PC games are increasingly including support for console controllers, the ability to use a controller if that's your preferred method is becoming less of an option to fall back on for console fans in those arguments, thus it goes back to the graphics argument even more often :p:

(Original post by Betacra)
    Lots of games just PLAY better on a PC
    Don't forget the ability to mod PC games (which in quite a few cases includes the ability to create patches to fix game-breaking bugs that the developers haven't been bothered to fix themselves before going on to make Generic FPS XLVII)
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Urban Protocol)
    Skyrim isn't that good.
    It's too short storyline wise and other main quests need more expanding, it doesn't feel like you have a impact on the world, and dungeons become far too similar after a while, no one ever uses the shouts, sneak is overpowered. levelling non combat skills causes monsters to become too strong, lack of perks and lack of enemies.

For the rest it's the best game I've ever played after mh3.
    • 43 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hbk4894)
    Do you think you have any gaming opinion(s) that could be considered unpopular or even 'controversial'?
    I think gaming can be an incredibly positive thing in people's lives.

To most people above the age of 35 (including my parents) that seems to constitute a hangable offense..
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Architecture-er)

To most people above the age of 35 (including my parents) that seems to constitute a hangable offense..
    A good game is like a good book.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    That Skyrim is good, but no more. It has extremely shallow mechnanics when compared to almost every other RPG (including Oblivion). There main story is not memorable, and there's no real epic narrative that can be found in other RPGs (KOTOR). While you may disagree with this, just try and remember what the main narrative is, it's difficult too when compared to much better storylines in other RPG's where I can recollect nearly every event and plot twists. While this is personal, I find the nordic environment to be dull and depressing, and there is not as much variation as found in almost every other RPG ever. I've put about 50 hours into this game, and It just get's boring and I feel like I'm playing it for the sake of it. I won't talk about combat, because frankly that's not why I play an RPG. While you'd think I don't like the genre, I've played all of these and loved them and can remember their great narrative: FFIV, Oblivion, Fallout 3 & NV (okay, but the narrative is still more memorable than Skyrim), Jade Empire, KoTOR and loads more.

I know I keep emphasising this, but I mean the main story is just so forgetable. No-one talks of it, a complete contrast to the Fallout narrative ect
    • 57 followers

ReputationRep:
    Not a particularly "offensive" opinion, but one I've not found anybody to agree with me on- Pure is among the best racing games of this generation of consoles.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    My post will be "Unpopular Final Fantasy opinions" since every thing I would have said has already been covered.

Final Fantasy XIII, beneath the pretty graphics, actually had quite a good story. I liked the idea that you were constantly on the run. It was linear but could it be flexible with the circumstances of the story?

Hironobu Sakaguchi is possibly the god of the JPRG franchise. He started up Mistwalker when he left Square Enix (or was it Soft when he left?) and they've produced amazing games, plus he produced nearly all the best Final Fantasies too. He needs more respect!

Final Fantasy VII was not that good. Most of the todays fans are 12 year fangirls who jumped on it after Advent Children.

Wait, I've got a non-FF one...

Halo 4 will be amazing I don't care what any one says. Haha.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    Not exactly super-obscure (and a fair number of people agree - still a minority) but the Nintendo 64 was millions of times better than the PS1.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Architecture-er)

I know, its ridiculous. Gaming has been a very positive thing in my life, its established/tightened friendships, helped me through some of the toughest times in my life and given me uncountable hours of entertainment.

I think now that gaming has gone mainstream and seemingly more accepted for even older people to play, we might see more family members playing video games and I'm not just talking about Wii stuff. Imagine your mum kicking your ass in Street Fighter x Tekken, a beautiful image imo

P.S. Sorry for going off topic
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Call of duty is shallow game that requires no skill the only deciding factor is who see's who first and shoots first.

Halo 2 and halo 3 required infinately more intelligence and technique to excel

skyrim is only good during the main quest,

football manger 2012 is unrealistic.

starcraft 2 is massively overrated, as is every call of duty game.

cod4 is the best call of duty by a mile.

pokemon is overrated.

mmorpg's are addictive like drugs.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingkongjaffa)
    Call of duty is shallow game that requires no skill the only deciding factor is who see's who first and shoots first.

Halo 2 and halo 3 required infinately more intelligence and technique to excel

skyrim is only good during the main quest,

football manger 2012 is unrealistic.

starcraft 2 is massively overrated, as is every call of duty game.

cod4 is the best call of duty by a mile.

pokemon is overrated.

mmorpg's are addictive like drugs.
    Too bad it was so short huh.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Too many games now focus on being time consuming as opposed to stimulating or difficult.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    And heeeeere we go:

Heroes of Might and Magic 3 is the greatest game to ever grace this planet.

Timesplitters 2 was better than Goldeneye.

The only stealth game to ever do it right was Thief.

MMO's (The Old Republic etc) are almost exclusively terrible and only hurt innovation in gaming. WoW was the first and therefore is the exception.

Age of Empires II is the best RTS game ever.

Minecraft is crap.

The two Souls games (Demon's Souls / Dark Souls) are the best games in the last few years.

Assassin's Creed needs to STOP releasing a game every bloody year and concentrate on making the combat good, because it's terrible.

Pro Evolution Soccer 6 is far and away the greatest football game ever made.

GTA4 was pretty crap and I'm a little worried about how 5 will turn out.

PC is almost always the best platform to play on when possible.

Nintendo has not been good for a LONG time, they continue to rehash old games with the same characters and very few (if any) new ideas.

Neither Battlefield or Call of Duty have any credibility left as gaming franchises, they've both hit their all-time lows.

Jak and Daxter is the best platformer on the PS2 (already said, but christ it's so true).

Tomb Raider 1 was the best in the series, 2 is just behind.

Battlezone (1998 game) is by far the most under appreciated game of all time.

But of course, these are all opinions.
    Yes yes yesyesyes!!!!!!
    • 43 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DudeJericho)
    I know, its ridiculous. Gaming has been a very positive thing in my life, its established/tightened friendships, helped me through some of the toughest times in my life and given me uncountable hours of entertainment.

I think now that gaming has gone mainstream and seemingly more accepted for even older people to play, we might see more family members playing video games and I'm not just talking about Wii stuff. Imagine your mum kicking your ass in Street Fighter x Tekken, a beautiful image imo

P.S. Sorry for going off topic
    Personally gaming has made me a better public speaker, leading 24 older raiding players at the age of 16 in WoW does wonders for your confidence, especially when you're all on voice chat

Used to hate giving presentations so much, but now I just explain things in a similar fashion to a boss fight, so it's very logical and concise, and I find it so much easier!

Having a week break at home inbetween semesters at the moment, and my mum gets home from work and one of her first questions is "so how long have you been playing today??". She wouldn't ask that if she'd found me reading a book
    • 43 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ok, back on topic (somewhat).

Zelda: Windwaker was one of the best Gamecube games.

The Gamecube is the best console to date, both in terms of style, game library, comfortable controllers and everything.

Battlefield 3 has the worst menu system in the game, the campaign's refusal to let you swap up difficulties in the middle is stupid, and the fact that you can't exit multiplayer or edit your classes in-between games is the stupidest thing of all. I would shoot the developers and do a better job myself in a day.

CoD is boring. If they made steps towards Battlefield's huge battles and maps then they'd be incredible (because I love the menu layout and it's clarity) - but because it remains a brawler run'n'gun I am fed up with it.

Blizzard is the best developer around, and remains true to their values despite all pressure against them. I trust no other developer as much as I do them.

LoL is great, HoN and DotA are crap ;D
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soczek322)
    Yes yes yesyesyes!!!!!!
    OMG ok you're now my favourite TSR user! :ahee:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    OMG ok you're now my favourite TSR user! :ahee:
    HOMM3 ftw!!
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    *Crash Team Racing (Ps1) always has been and always will be more fun and better to play than any generic version of Mario Kart.
    *That Civilization 3 was more enjoyable than Civilization 4
    *Hogs of War was better than any Worms games.
    *Timesplitters 2 and 3 were the best games ever made! I lost countless hours to each of those games haha
Updated: June 12, 2012
New on TSR

Have a UCAS application question?

Post it in our dedicated forum

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.