The Student Room Group

Need some help with my application...

Ok, so I'm trying to apply for Student Finance for this year but I'm in a bit of a confusing situation and would appreciate it if someone could help me out!

My stepdad of 12 years passed away in December. He was the main earner in the family, earning approx £30000 a year until the year he died. My mum earns more like £20000. In my student finance application I put that my mother was widowed, so the form asked for her income for the 10/11 tax year only. Since my stepdad did actually earn money for that tax year, was it wrong to not include him on the form?

I'm really not sure how much money am I eligible for, because with my stepdad's income included I wouldn't qualify for a grant, but with my mum's I get a full grant (which I really need).

Can anyone shed some light on this situation? Any help is really appreciated :smile:
Reply 1
Sorry to hear your step dad died. His income will not be needed, so you've no need to worry.

When people's household incomes fall 15% or more they can ask for a current year assessment anyway, so even if it did need to be counted (which it definitely doesn't) you'd have been assessed on what your current household income is, without his income.
Reply 2
Original post by Shani
Sorry to hear your step dad died. His income will not be needed, so you've no need to worry.

When people's household incomes fall 15% or more they can ask for a current year assessment anyway, so even if it did need to be counted (which it definitely doesn't) you'd have been assessed on what your current household income is, without his income.

That's really made me a lot calmer! Thank you for your help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending