Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm constipated.. HELP

Announcements Posted on

Over the past few months I have cut out chocolate and junk food in general... I have cereal for breakfast, and a healthy lunch and dinner with no snacks in between and I have a few cups of tea and I drink plenty of water.

I'm heavily constipated though and I have searched online and noticed a change in diet could be the cause of it, aswell as exercise - I go to the gym 3-4 times a week now, after a looong break!

I eat two prunes a day now, and weetabix for breakfast so that I can have bowel movements, but I only had two last week. I could have done more but it seems my poo is being shy. I went once today, but I need to go again... it just won't come out. I don't mean for this to be so graphic so I'll spare the details.

I've been drinking hot water, eating prunes, dried apricots, weetabix - you name it! Is there anything else I can take or do?!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    :doctor:
    • 57 followers

ReputationRep:
    Laxatives?

Dulcolax
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Over the past few months I have cut out chocolate and junk food in general... I have cereal for breakfast, and a healthy lunch and dinner with no snacks in between and I have a few cups of tea and I drink plenty of water.

I'm heavily constipated though and I have searched online and noticed a change in diet could be the cause of it, aswell as exercise - I go to the gym 3-4 times a week now, after a looong break!

I eat two prunes a day now, and weetabix for breakfast so that I can have bowel movements, but I only had two last week. I could have done more but it seems my poo is being shy. I went once today, but I need to go again... it just won't come out. I don't mean for this to be so graphic so I'll spare the details.

I've been drinking hot water, eating prunes, dried apricots, weetabix - you name it! Is there anything else I can take or do?!

(Original post by tehforum)
    Laxatives?

Dulcolax
    I don't really want to start taking laxatives as I don't want to depend on them.. I'd like a more natural way of treating it
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    See a doctor. Or if you have a good pharmacy you could ask them for advice - maybe they can recommend something suitable in the laxatives/supplements/lifestyle department.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    bran flakies
    • 80 followers

ReputationRep:
    Drink lots of water
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't really want to start taking laxatives as I don't want to depend on them.. I'd like a more natural way of treating it
    senna is a natural laxative

i think if you went to the gp without trying that they'd just tell you to get some anyway
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Dried apricots.

(Original post by clarusblue)
    senna is a natural laxative

i think if you went to the gp without trying that they'd just tell you to get some anyway
    This is true. Also very reliable, non-addictive and side effect free, if used properly anyway. I'm on long term opiates and I use it to balance out one of the less fortunate side effects of my painkillers.
    • 38 followers

ReputationRep:
    Dioralyte.

How much water are you drinking exactly?
    What foods are you eating? How high is the salt content?
    Try apples and if you have a jump rope then jump, if you've not got a jump rope then jump anyway! Believe me, it works!
    Also try massaging your stomach and eat natural biopot yoghurt/activia/actimel/yakult
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:

Tough ****.

Get laxies. Eat loads and loads.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:

simple! Do you have a holland and barrett near you? if so, go and get some brown linseed ... + also drink at least 8 glasses of water a day 500g for like 2 quid .. you only need around 25g a time!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Eat beans.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Mate, you could try drinking orange juice.

Doesnt help with constipation, but hey. Give it a go.
    • 29 followers

ReputationRep:
    Are you eating enough fruit and vegetables?

If you aren't (and a couple of prunes a day don't count) then eat them, lots of them.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    drink lots of water and eat bran flakes
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    Take some laxatives.

I think it says that if you don't resume normal bowel movement in a few days, see your doctor. I wouldn't make any more drastic diet changes though - unless it means drinking more water or having more fruit and veg. Check your fibre intake.

I'd say go to the doctor straight away, but I'd have thought that without you trying laxatives to sort you out, they'd send you away again to do that. Same with the fruit and veg and water.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry...the description of it being "shy" and the capitalized "HELP" got me giggling a bit... :P
    Anyways, yeah I'd see a doctor, especially as you seem to have a good high-fibre diet and lots of exercise! It's not worth having to be so uncomfortable all the time when it's something the doctor can give you something for. Hope you get better anyways!
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Liquorice Allsorts!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: February 22, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.