The Student Room Group

Upfront fee's/deposits?

When looking through some uni website I saw from the accommodation info that in some halls you have to give a deposit of a few hundred pounds and that you need to pay your first lot of rent before you move in.

1st Question - The deposits, I know obviously they are refunded but what if you don't have that money in the first place. Or is it out on top of your maintenance loan?

2nd Question - Do you always need to pay rent before you move in? If so, it is definite that you will have your loan by then? What if you have problems with student finance and it is delayed?

Any insight would be appreciated, thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by breakeven
When looking through some uni website I saw from the accommodation info that in some halls you have to give a deposit of a few hundred pounds and that you need to pay your first lot of rent before you move in.

1st Question - The deposits, I know obviously they are refunded but what if you don't have that money in the first place. Or is it out on top of your maintenance loan?

2nd Question - Do you always need to pay rent before you move in? If so, it is definite that you will have your loan by then? What if you have problems with student finance and it is delayed?

Any insight would be appreciated, thanks!

1) If you don't have the money you contact them and if your lucky they will be understanding and say you can pay when your loan comes in, or more likely you won't get the place in halls, but you should be able to get enough money to pay a deposit from an overdraft which you can get when you open a student account
2) Most unis charge a deposit before you move in, the actual rent payments don't usually need to be made until you recieve your loan. If its late coming in then contact the uni and they should let you delay payment until it is.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending