Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Best thing for depression related lethargy?

Announcements Posted on
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've been on various anti-depressants and while fixing the mood swings, they only made the lethargy and lack of motivation worse and gave me a very strong urge to nap during the day, all of which just put my life on stand-by. I need something that will stimulate me and give me motivation, not sedate me 24/7. It's unlikely I will be able to pass the year now but I am hoping to find something that will help me focus in lectures, motivate me to do work and have a more successful year next year because sleeping 10-12 hours a day and not being motivated to even do simple tasks such as making myself a cup of tea is really making me feel even worse about everything.

thanks for any advice
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Bump
    Just wondering if there's any anti depressants out there that don't numb your emotions really...
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    i dont think antidepressants are the answer. well, they work well for some people. others, like me, its just a question of eating the right foods and forcing yourself to follow a strict daily schedule. it's really hard to make yourself stick to it, but once you do, your body will get used to not napping in the middle of the day. your brain will get used to working when it's time to work, sleeping when its time to sleep etc. and also exercise may help (i dont do it though, but i know it would benefit me. but i'm doing one thing at a time for the moment).
    i know this stuff probably isnt what you wanted to hear, but it does work. i was in the same situation as you not long ago.

(Original post by Lewk)
    I've been on various anti-depressants and while fixing the mood swings, they only made the lethargy and lack of motivation worse and gave me a very strong urge to nap during the day, all of which just put my life on stand-by. I need something that will stimulate me and give me motivation, not sedate me 24/7. It's unlikely I will be able to pass the year now but I am hoping to find something that will help me focus in lectures, motivate me to do work and have a more successful year next year because sleeping 10-12 hours a day and not being motivated to even do simple tasks such as making myself a cup of tea is really making me feel even worse about everything.

thanks for any advice
    • 47 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lewk)
    Bump
    Just wondering if there's any anti depressants out there that don't numb your emotions really...
    They do exist, but the problem is finding which one works for you. I've tried over a dozen different drug combinations for my depression, some of which gave me awful side-effects, others no side-effects but also no positive effects, and one or two which actually did their job without also making my life unliveable. So for me it was just a lengthy case of trial and error (a process I'm having to repeat now that my meds have stopped working :facepalm:).

If you want specific recommendations, agomelatine and escitalopram are both reputed to be fairly lacking in side-effects, so you could try asking your doctor to switch you to one of them.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Have you had a physical workup? Check your thyroid levels and get a CBC (complete blood count) to make sure you're healthy. If you're still depressed, see a psychiatrist and discuss medication. There are many, many medications that could probably help you greatly. A psychiatrist will interview you about your life history, your health and your habits. He will ask many personal questions, but the more honestly you answer, the better he will be able to prescribe the right drug. They can't do a blood test for depression because of the blood/brain barrier.

I treated my depression with medication, vitamin supplements, a little coffee, and a good, healthy diet. I avoided too much alcohol, and have never smoked. The symptoms of depression are sadness, boredom, lethargy, rage, irritability, foggy thinking, and social isolation, among others. They aren't necessarily all there at once. Depression is a misnamed disease that's actually caused by a neurotransmitter imbalance. It's not merely a blue mood. It's much more serious. Don't let anybody put you down or tell you to "cheer up". They don't know what you're dealing with, or may be in denial about their own problems (or those of a family member).

Exercise isn't always the answer. You might be able to force yourself to do it for a while, but it might make you feel worse - tired or angry, maybe. Once you have successfully treated the depression, you will want to exercise. It's such a vicious cycle.

When treating depression, even if it's mild, you need to be very aggressive. It is not a "sin" or a crime. It's not laziness or self-centeredness. You can't just "snap out of it". It's a medical problem that needs a hands-on approach.

I've been on and off citalopram for the past 4 years now.

I took an 18 month break, tried everything to promote my mental health, exercise, sunlamp, 5htp etc...but to no avail and I was essentially fighting a decline all that time, until I went back to see my GP to go back on anti-depressants in January of this year. Soon as the place re-opened after xmas basically, new year new start.

I believe it's just the way my body and head is, my physiology. Now come to accept and appreciate that I need to be on medication, perhaps for the rest of my life. I see this as a positive, I just hope I'm not discriminated against when it comes to job applications, this is a worry of mine.

I've found exercise can help for depression, feelings of lethargy anyway, but only a short term respite from feeling down in the dumps. For me personally, low intensity and certainly high intensity exercise can really give you a physical and mental boost.

Consider your alcohol intake (a depressant itself), look at your diet, try and get out and socialize, consider investing in a sun lamp, consider visiting your GP and going back on meds, if you're not already...

Bizarrely the citalopram has seemed to take much longer than on previous occasions to kick on - it's been two months since I started taking it again and I still feel a bit physically depressed. On previous occasions it has taken only 4 weeks really to kick in.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Generally I find SSRIs to be emotionally numbing, whereas things like Reboxetine/Duloxetine/Moclobemide/Nortriptyline which hit norepinephrine instead of (or as well as) gave me more energy and motivation. As mentioned, Agomelatine may be a good option too.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: February 28, 2012
New on TSR

Exclusive Nick Clegg interview

Your questions answered by the deputy prime minister

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.