Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

ACTA is a very very dangerous trade agreement

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Before we saw that SOPA had wide world press coverage but no so much ACTA. ACTA is basically SOPA + a bit more. This means this will stop ANY copyright infringement on the internet and in trade to prevent the production of counterfeit goods. The problem with this is that many of the developing nations were not involved during the talks of ACTA therefore there economies could be ruined, think of China without fakes !!!!

People who are not worried because they haven't downloaded anything for free there is a 99.9% chance that you have committed copyright infringement. For example copying and pasting somebodies work without the permission of the copyright holders even with acknowledgement is copyright infringement. Therefore if enforced under ACTA you will have to face heavy fines and even prison because internet providers will have to monitor everything and because were in the EU we will be extradited to a different country straight away because of European arrest warrant.

Lastly, although I don't fully support UKIP they are the ONLY party who are openly speaking against it from what I can see.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, it's bad, but what can we do about it? Politicians lie.

Regarding UKIP, see the above point.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm not seeing the negatives of this proposal. If countries copy designs, then they should be punished. We do not have an inherent right to get something for free, especially if it has taken ages to manufacture at cost. Isn't this why we all hate theft? Because someone is getting something for free that they don't deserve?

I, for one, support ACTA.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by darksideday)
    Before we saw that SOPA had wide world press coverage but no so much ACTA. ACTA is basically SOPA + a bit more. This means this will stop ANY copyright infringement on the internet and in trade to prevent the production of counterfeit goods. The problem with this is that many of the developing nations were not involved during the talks of ACTA therefore there economies could be ruined, think of China without fakes !!!!

People who are not worried because they haven't downloaded anything for free there is a 99.9% chance that you have committed copyright infringement. For example copying and pasting somebodies work without the permission of the copyright holders even with acknowledgement is copyright infringement. Therefore if enforced under ACTA you will have to face heavy fines and even prison because internet providers will have to monitor everything and because were in the EU we will be extradited to a different country straight away because of European arrest warrant.

Lastly, although I don't fully support UKIP they are the ONLY party who are openly speaking against it from what I can see.

I totally agree as both a UKIP member and someone who doesn't want to see censorship of the internet, this is what it is amounting to, more supranational power, less power to the citizens and a form of totalatarianism
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's a bit ridiculous to change the law so a civil charge becomes a criminal charge. I support UKIP here, you know the only opposition in the EU.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's not just the EU, N.America, Japan, Australia
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...English%29.svg
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I love UKIP even more now. ACTA is evil.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Infallible)
    I'm not seeing the negatives of this proposal. If countries copy designs, then they should be punished. We do not have an inherent right to get something for free, especially if it has taken ages to manufacture at cost. Isn't this why we all hate theft? Because someone is getting something for free that they don't deserve?

I, for one, support ACTA.
    Well it's unfair if you downloaded an image and have to spend about 5 years in jail. They're basically watching you, which brings us to the question: Where's our freedom?

The reason why I downloaded things from the internet is because I'm not rich. I can't afford every single damn thing that I want. Downloading for free is the next best thing.

This law doesn't only apply when you download things, it applies to every single thing you copied from the internet. I'm pretty sure you're not that innocent. At some point in your life you must have copied something. Be it an image or a note.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sonnet26)
    Well it's unfair if you downloaded an image and have to spend about 5 years in jail. They're basically watching you, which brings us to the question: Where's our freedom?

The reason why I downloaded things from the internet is because I'm not rich. I can't afford every single damn thing that I want. Downloading for free is the next best thing.

This law doesn't only apply when you download things, it applies to every single thing you copied from the internet. I'm pretty sure you're not that innocent. At some point in your life you must have copied something. Be it an image or a note.
    Yeah, of course I have. Do you know why? Because there isn't a deterrent. Occasionally, we'll read about someone being charged for illegally downloading media, but that's only because they took the mick. However, if ACTA is approved, would you take the risk?

You don't need what you're downloading. You simply want it.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harley_Quinn)
    I love UKIP even more now. ACTA is evil.
    Positive rating

(Original post by sonnet26)

They are watching us, no power to the people any more, democracy is a fabrication as our rulers abuse our consent (in the case of the EU and its 27 member politburo, they have little to no consent...!)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Infallible)
    Yeah, of course I have. Do you know why? Because there isn't a deterrent. Occasionally, we'll read about someone being charged for illegally downloading media, but that's only because they took the mick. However, if ACTA is approved, would you take the risk?

You don't need what you're downloading. You simply want it.
    Not all the things I downloaded are wanted. Some are materials that I need, but I can't afford or not available in my country. Even though there's a deterrent do you think illegal downloading will stop? Maybe. But people will find new ways of sharing information. Desperate people will find a new way. And then what?

If you wanna stop sharing files, then extreme measures must be taken. Which in the end would end badly.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChapelTom)
    Positive rating

They are watching us, no power to the people any more, democracy is a fabrication as our rulers abuse our consent (in the case of the EU and its 27 member politburo, they have little to no consent...!)
    That's what they want you to think. If you think like that, then they've succeed.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    ACTA tars counterfeit drugs with the same brush generic drugs. India and other developing countries can't afford branded drugs, so they have to buy generic drugs which are similar to branded drugs or based on drug patents that have expired. So if ACTA was implemented, patent holders could stop the export of life saving drugs to developing countries leading to massive losses of life.

ACTA opposes individual freedoms in favour of the intellectual property rights of large co-operations and could lead to people being extradited to the far reaches of the EU to be imprisoned for months or even years.

**** that ****.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drapetomanic)
    ACTA tars counterfeit drugs with the same brush generic drugs. India and other developing countries can't afford branded drugs, so they have to buy generic drugs which are similar to branded drugs or based on drug patents that have expired. So if ACTA was implemented, patent holders could stop the export of life saving drugs to developing countries leading to massive losses of life.

ACTA opposes individual freedoms in favour of the intellectual property rights of large co-operations and could lead to people being extradited to the far reaches of the EU to be imprisoned for months or even years.

**** that ****.
    Those two statements contradict each other. If the patents have expired, there wouldn't be a 'patent holder' to stop them doing as they wish with the drugs.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well then, lets all vote UKIP so we can leave EU and not have to be subjected to this totalitarian, ludicrous law
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by D.R.E)
    Those two statements contradict each other. If the patents have expired, there wouldn't be a 'patent holder' to stop them doing as they wish with the drugs.
    You're right, I've explained it really badly.

Sean Flynn, at the Washington College of Law explains it better that I ever could.

Flynn: "There are two concerning issues with respect to remedies. First is that ACTA would encourage states to set damages based on the retail price of the protected good. But in many developing countries, the retail price is exclusionary. Think, for example, about the recent state of affairs where companies were demanding poor countries to pay over $12,000 for AIDS drugs that we now can purchase generically for $80. Should the damages on any potential infringement claim in Uganda against the $80 generic really be set at the $12,000 level? That is a bit absurd when no one can buy the $12,000 drug. Damages should be based on actual losses, not theoretical losses that assume that poor people are rich.

The second big issue for pharmaceutical supplies is the issue of intermediary liability. ACTA would require countries to hold suppliers liable for legitimate sales that are later used in counterfeit products. Thus, an API supplier might be held liable for selling active ingredients to a company that markets the product with an infringing label. Such rules may dissuade suppliers from dealing with legitimate generic companies, especially if these standards are aggressively enforced by ACTA governments."
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    You know, the more rights are infringed the more radicals that people become.

Suddenly pulling away from the rest of Europe and all that lot suddenly starts to appeal to people.

UKIP can expect heavy voter increase in the next election.

I just hope one of the parties I like grow a back bone and slam this rubbish.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: February 23, 2012
New on TSR

GCSE mocks revision

Talk study tips this weekend

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.