The Student Room Group

I don't get "travelling", doesn't it get boring?

Scroll to see replies

Travelling to see some of the places depicted in these wallpapers won't get boring.
Original post by C_B_C
It's the other way around for me... I don't understand going to a Spanish village full of drunken Brits just to sun bathe and say that you were there.

You can't learn anything by doing this. And you can't learn anything by staying in your home-town living as close as possible to Mum and Dad.
Don't be one of those people that assume your town/county/country is the best just because you were born there.

Season work (and snowboarding) in Italy, helping out in an Archaeological site in Greece, working on a Yacht all around the mediterranean, doing Woofers work in New Zealand while you look for a more stable job... I can't get enough of it.

With regard to the first paragraph- I agree and I disagree. I don't enjoy purpose-built concrete resorts full of Brits (I hated the Costa del Sol when I lived in Spain and avoided it like the plague). However, when you work full time it is nice to get one week of pure relaxation each year to unwind and take a breather. I go to visit family in Spain for that, and spend my time sunbathing and in the pool, a little bit of running/kayaking, doing absolutely nothing of cultural value (unless you count eating and drinking local food/wine). This is what I call 'a holiday' and I try to get one week of it each year.

However, each year I also need to spend time 'travelling.' For me travelling means getting off the beaten track, preferably far away from other tourists. The things you suggest all sound fun and are probably great experiences, and everyone I know who has done those kind of things has great fun and a good time. But they don't really appeal to me- maybe I'm missing out but it seems that when people do those kind of things they are almost exclusively in the company of other young Brits- which for me kind of takes away the point. I have a friend who is working her way and travelling around the world and all her photos show her (albeit having a great deal of fun) with other middle class young British people and foreign travellers- I don't really see much value in it- although I concede it is better than staying at home or a week in Torremolinos.

Don't get me wrong, it's nice sometimes to have the company of fellow travellers on the road, but I think there's more to be learnt by meeting people of different ages, cultures and nationalities than by spending time with people from basically the same social group. So the whole 'Gap year' thing doesn't really appeal to me.

My happiest travel memories have been in places where I've been alone, had to be self reliant and cope with difficult situations, in countries where there wasn't even a British embassy to turn to for help. First trip was to Spain and Portugal when I was 17, alone and as it turns out illegally (you can't visit Portugal as a minor without parental authorisation- oops). I haven't travelled as much as I'd like but I've been to some very obscure parts of the Former Soviet Union where I've been the only tourist for miles around- it's a wonderful experience and you learn so much about yourself. I generally like my home comforts so to push the boundaries is really liberating. I agree with all the positive comments made about travel- different people have different likes/dislikes and mine is very much about getting off the beaten track.

That said, I do enjoy visits to classic tourist destinations (Paris/Venice etc) but approach them in a very different way. If I had to choose between visiting these or places like Afghanistan, Tajikistan and Guinea-Bissau there would be no option- off the beaten path adventures always win.
Original post by brabzzz

Horses for courses. You either get the appeal and desire to travel or you don't. You do? GO! You don't? Stay here and don't be pressured. Else you'll end up like half the Israelis you meet travelling - irritated and irritating.

Hahaha! I've only ever met one or two Israelis whilst abroad, and can't say that I found them irritating, but it sounds like you have had some negative experiences in that department! :biggrin:
Original post by Antifazian
Such an excellent way of putting it, and you're right it is almost like a physical pull that you feel that makes you want to just pack up and go somewhere!

To me, an airport is one of the most exciting places to be, there's just so much possibility, so many people all going to different places.

Thanks :biggrin: Something else that happens too is that the simplest things bring you instantly back to places you've been to before.

I love airports as well - I knew that when I made that thread about favourite airports, the majority would get what I meant, but some just replied something like 'why would anyone have a favourite airport, they're just places to pass through as quickly as possible...'
I don't want to spend my whole life in different places. I do want to settle down somewhere with a permanent home, but in terms of holidaying in exotic places, I can't get enough of it.
Reply 45
Original post by forsaken_earth
you don't wanna be in russia in the winter.

ps
London met over oxford. wowzers trousers.

I know, but some people are thrillseekers.

My signature is a lie to mock those who tell strangers their whole academic life.
Reply 46
Original post by standreams
With regard to the first paragraph- I agree and I disagree. I don't enjoy purpose-built concrete resorts full of Brits (I hated the Costa del Sol when I lived in Spain and avoided it like the plague). However, when you work full time it is nice to get one week of pure relaxation each year to unwind and take a breather. I go to visit family in Spain for that, and spend my time sunbathing and in the pool, a little bit of running/kayaking, doing absolutely nothing of cultural value (unless you count eating and drinking local food/wine). This is what I call 'a holiday' and I try to get one week of it each year.

I concur. People have to remember that for the working classes, cheaper and more accessible travel abroad is a recent phenomenon. My parents didn’t travel abroad until they were in their early forties, and it was to a resort in Menorca. Since then, they have been on a number of resort-type holidays to Rhodes, Cuba, Malta, Crete, Mexico. They like a bit of culture on the side of their holiday (my dad’s mad about anything tied to either the Knights Templar or Mayans), but they go to these places to primarily relax. I can understand why; they work 40+ hours a week, and are entitled to spend their money on a holiday they know that they are going to enjoy.

Personally I take city breaks, to swan around the museums and art galleries, eat the local dishes and stay in budget hotels. Some people do the grand ‘backpacking adventure’ trips in which they interrail around Europe, of even hitchhike, hopping from one hostel to the next. Some people do working/and or volunteering holidays in developing or third world countries. One form of travel shouldn’t condemned over the next. If people want to go on package holidays, it’s their money, and it doesn’t make them of low social standing for doing so (travel snobbery gets on my mammary glands).

I’d love to travel more, but I find it difficult to put the money aside whilst paying my rent and bills, and saving up for a mortgage. :frown:
Reply 47
Original post by standreams

However, each year I also need to spend time 'travelling.' For me travelling means getting off the beaten track, preferably far away from other tourists. The things you suggest all sound fun and are probably great experiences, and everyone I know who has done those kind of things has great fun and a good time. But they don't really appeal to me- maybe I'm missing out but it seems that when people do those kind of things they are almost exclusively in the company of other young Brits- which for me kind of takes away the point. I have a friend who is working her way and travelling around the world and all her photos show her (albeit having a great deal of fun) with other middle class young British people and foreign travellers- I don't really see much value in it- although I concede it is better than staying at home or a week in Torremolinos.

Don't get me wrong, it's nice sometimes to have the company of fellow travellers on the road, but I think there's more to be learnt by meeting people of different ages, cultures and nationalities than by spending time with people from basically the same social group. So the whole 'Gap year' thing doesn't really appeal to me.

My happiest travel memories have been in places where I've been alone, had to be self reliant and cope with difficult situations, in countries where there wasn't even a British embassy to turn to for help. First trip was to Spain and Portugal when I was 17, alone and as it turns out illegally (you can't visit Portugal as a minor without parental authorisation- oops). I haven't travelled as much as I'd like but I've been to some very obscure parts of the Former Soviet Union where I've been the only tourist for miles around- it's a wonderful experience and you learn so much about yourself. I generally like my home comforts so to push the boundaries is really liberating. I agree with all the positive comments made about travel- different people have different likes/dislikes and mine is very much about getting off the beaten track.

That said, I do enjoy visits to classic tourist destinations (Paris/Venice etc) but approach them in a very different way. If I had to choose between visiting these or places like Afghanistan, Tajikistan and Guinea-Bissau there would be no option- off the beaten path adventures always win.

Happy Days.

Where did you live in Spain?
I spent about 9 years in a small town near Seville.
Original post by C_B_C
Happy Days.

Where did you live in Spain?
I spent about 9 years in a small town near Seville.

I was at university in Granada for 6 months- not long enough! My parents live in Mallorca (wonderful place, with an unfair reputation). Were you working in Spain? Only been to Seville once but I enjoyed it, very nice city.
Original post by El Nombre
I concur. People have to remember that for the working classes, cheaper and more accessible travel abroad is a recent phenomenon. My parents didn’t travel abroad until they were in their early forties, and it was to a resort in Menorca. Since then, they have been on a number of resort-type holidays to Rhodes, Cuba, Malta, Crete, Mexico. They like a bit of culture on the side of their holiday (my dad’s mad about anything tied to either the Knights Templar or Mayans), but they go to these places to primarily relax. I can understand why; they work 40+ hours a week, and are entitled to spend their money on a holiday they know that they are going to enjoy.

Personally I take city breaks, to swan around the museums and art galleries, eat the local dishes and stay in budget hotels. Some people do the grand ‘backpacking adventure’ trips in which they interrail around Europe, of even hitchhike, hopping from one hostel to the next. Some people do working/and or volunteering holidays in developing or third world countries. One form of travel shouldn’t condemned over the next. If people want to go on package holidays, it’s their money, and it doesn’t make them of low social standing for doing so (travel snobbery gets on my mammary glands).

I’d love to travel more, but I find it difficult to put the money aside whilst paying my rent and bills, and saving up for a mortgage. :frown:

I agree, I hate travel snobbery. Different people have different interests, but none is better than the other. That said, I wish people would think more about the impact their holiday/travel has on the places they visit- awareness is growing but I often rant here against the evils of 'Voluntourism' and the fact so many people who do it are blissfully unaware of the negative consequences their participation can cause.

I also wish that more people who take package holidays could realise that actually they can have the same experience for less money without going via a middleman- nothing against the holidays themselves but some people seem to think the only way of travelling is to have somebody organise everything for you- maybe it's a confidence thing? This is changing nowadays though.

I do have a problem too with 'gap yah' types who mock people for going to 'touristy' places despite spending all their time surrounded by white people in Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam, thinking they are breaking new ground as 'travellers' and feeling superior about it despite being tourists themselves. Whether you choose to go on holiday somewhere unusual like Afghanistan (as a friend of mine did recently) or Benidorm, as long as you are considerate to people around you and the environment, laws and customs of your country, you are no better or worse a traveller than anybody else.
It sounds like you enjoy luxury OP and therefore prefer to travel in the same manner. Some people however are more eager to experience the underbelly of a place, and to throw themselves into the deep end of life to test their true character and nature and to grow as a result. Also, 'touristy' places are generally like a bubble which shields you from experiencing the true character of the place you are in.

I know people who visit the same place year in year out for the same reasons. But it usually reflects their character, and from experience these types of people generally value comfort, security and money over expanding their minds and risk taking. It's anathema to me, and to be honest for most people in possession of an enquiring mind.

There isn't really a right or wrong answer when it comes to travelling. But it is my personal opinion however that you can learn a lot about yourself and the real issues/beauty/character of a country or place by escaping the tourist bubble and taking a plunge into the deep end. You may live to regret it but you may also gain unforgettable and life-changing experiences too.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Summering
For anyone who enjoys travelling for the sake of travelling... why?

I can definitely understand going to nice beaches, warm weather, lovely cities, seeing sights, museums, art, wildlife, mountains etc. but I absolutely don't understand travelling for the sake of it.

What's the point of going to a list of random countries just to look around? Doesn't the novelty of being in a different country and seeing different people wear off, it seems like after a few weeks it becomes a chore especially in non-touristy countries...

(Oh additional question, how and when do you guys get the money and time to go travelling, especially if you're at school/uni?! Everyone in this subforums seems to travel so much....)

I fly for the sake of it. I in particular like to film the world's airports in HD and upload the videos to YouTube. I thrive on the hits. And likes.

I also happen to love exploring other cultures, other religions, other cuisine, other language, other architecture, and aspite to have a career in the hospitality sector. I also love staying at luxury hotels (as well as budget ones) and did I mention I love flying? :colone:
Funny, I prefer to visit places that are less touristy
Original post by Anon420
I'll agree and disagree to some points.

I don't like to travel to any third world countries, I do not wish to volunteer abroad at my own expense. I'm bat crazy scared of spiders so won't visit anywhere that you'll see a lot of them.

However I do like to travel to cities, tourist locations and festivals. I plan on a Europe trip this year to see some amazing cities (including Amsterdam, wink wink) and I also plan on going to my first Oktoberfest as I've been wanting to go.

At the end of the day I enjoy living in the UK where I was born. I've pondered what living as a traveler would be like and I honestly don't see the attraction to it myself (personal opinion) but going to visit nice places; esp cities, festivals and iconic land marks and locations is something I want to do :biggrin: However I do prefer luxury in the easy way to things and I'm quite lazy!

Have you ever actually been travelling?

If you travel for long periods of time, and enjoy it, you will never be the same, and will probably crave it for ever afterwards.

The places you go to are only half of it, its the people you meet, the journeys, and good times you have that make it.

The best times I'v had when travelling have almost always been unplanned, somewhere were I didn't think I would be, or with people who I never thought I would meet, you know what your getting when you go to Amsterdam, Magaluf, Ibiza, Malia, Barcelona etc. etc. Its the unknowns that make it for me.

I never go a day without thinking about my sick 5 month trip around Australia in a van!

Edit: it all sounds pretty smug, and clichéd, but its true. Clichés are clichés for a reason.
(edited 12 years ago)
Careful though, its like the Matrix, if you take that pill, there's no going back hahaha.
Reply 55
Original post by arichmond64
Have you ever actually been travelling?

If you travel for long periods of time, and enjoy it, you will never be the same, and will probably crave it for ever afterwards.

The places you go to are only half of it, its the people you meet, the journeys, and good times you have that make it.

The best times I'v had when travelling have almost always been unplanned, somewhere were I didn't think I would be, or with people who I never thought I would meet, you know what your getting when you go to Amsterdam, Magaluf, Ibiza, Malia, Barcelona etc. etc. Its the unknowns that make it for me.

I never go a day without thinking about my sick 5 month trip around Australia in a van!

Edit: it all sounds pretty smug, and clichéd, but its true. Clichés are clichés for a reason.

Each to their own, we all have our own views and opinions. I can understand what you mean but doesn't mean I have to hold the same values.

I'm from England and have no intention of visiting any third world countries personally.

If i was a millionaire, I'd quite happily travel around certain places in Europe/America and other places such as Dubai/Fuji etc etc. But unfortunately I'm just a poor student who visits Europe around twice a year for between 7-14days, I enjoy that time but it's not something I could sustain in luxury.

We all go our own ways with life paths and hobbies, some people spend their lives visiting the world and others never leave the Town they were born.

Fyi I've never been to your typical on the lash 24/7 holiday. End of the day, I'm just not one for living on the breadline or visiting high poverty parts of the world. A 5* Luxury holiday to America would get you months, maybe even years in a third world country living on barely nothing.
Original post by Anon420
Each to their own, we all have our own views and opinions. I can understand what you mean but doesn't mean I have to hold the same values.

I'm from England and have no intention of visiting any third world countries personally.

If i was a millionaire, I'd quite happily travel around certain places in Europe/America and other places such as Dubai/Fuji etc etc. But unfortunately I'm just a poor student who visits Europe around twice a year for between 7-14days, I enjoy that time but it's not something I could sustain in luxury.

We all go our own ways with life paths and hobbies, some people spend their lives visiting the world and others never leave the Town they were born.

Fyi I've never been to your typical on the lash 24/7 holiday. End of the day, I'm just not one for living on the breadline or visiting high poverty parts of the world. A 5* Luxury holiday to America would get you months, maybe even years in a third world country living on barely nothing.

Travelling doesn't mean going to 3rd world countries haha, your using that extreme as an example, just like people use the drinking 24/7 extreme for the other end of the spectrum. There are things in between.

I'v done 24/7 drinking in Benidorm and Salou, and I won't lie, its a frigging good laugh and I don't regret, but there is only so much of the same stuff you can do.

I'm not saying you are wrong, just your opinion is a little skewed and less credible because you haven't done it yet.

The same thing goes to the OP.
Original post by Summering
For anyone who enjoys travelling for the sake of travelling... why?

I can definitely understand going to nice beaches, warm weather, lovely cities, seeing sights, museums, art, wildlife, mountains etc. but I absolutely don't understand travelling for the sake of it.

What's the point of going to a list of random countries just to look around? Doesn't the novelty of being in a different country and seeing different people wear off, it seems like after a few weeks it becomes a chore especially in non-touristy countries...

(Oh additional question, how and when do you guys get the money and time to go travelling, especially if you're at school/uni?! Everyone in this subforums seems to travel so much....)

Alot of people save up by not spending money on things they don't need, or going out on weekends and spending £60+ on drink.
I have friends who do this all the time, then complain about having no money, you don't realise until you add it all up how much it costs.
"I can definitely understand going to nice beaches, warm weather, lovely cities, seeing sights, museums, art, wildlife, mountains etc. but I absolutely don't understand travelling for the sake of it."

I don't completely understand your question, people go traveling to do those things you've mentioned (plus additional points, like meeting people). People go traveling to see something new, experience something new. And you say yourself you understand why they want to do these things. If you're implying that most people go to a country to say they have been there, you are off the mark. Some do, but they're a minotity and traveling is something most people want to do when they're young, it's basically just finances that are stopping some.

I've lived in (and studied in) Spain, Scandinavia, France and London. I've traveled to most countries in Europe. You don't get a good impression of a city after one week of sightseeing and you certainly don't if you travel with someone from your home country or to a tourist-y spot. I like to learn different languages too, I want to visit the best bars & restaurants, I want to go to museums and see new exhibitions, I want to meet up with old friends I met in another country a long time ago and get introduced to their local friends. I want to, and have, established a network across Europe where I can go for a long weekend somewhere and have someone to meet up with. It's great. My life would be much less interesting without it. Fortunately, I have the finances for it as I have inherited money and have investments in my name back home. So I CAN go to Michelin-star restaurant or stay in nice hotels. Although I don't think that this is any way a prerequisite to travel, plenty of people stay in hostels etc and still have a great time.

There has always been a certain amount of snobbery around traveling, for some people. That changed as many airlines started to offer very cheap flights, so now basically anyone can go. I know some people who go to Hong Kong to explore on their own or to safaris in Tanzania and think that if you're European or American and haven't been to Asia or Africa, you're boring or not well-traveled. I find that attitude ridiculous - there are plenty of things to see in Europe and the US, and how far you travel is not a measurement of how adventurous you are. So yes, I think it's gone a bit too far for some, but it'll always be that way, and it is (fortunately) not the attitude most people have towards traveling.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 59
Each to their own.

I shall leave you with this, though:

My house mate said he "didn't see the point in seeing the world when you can just look at pictures and read about it on the internet."

Now that is ****ed up.

Quick Reply

Latest