Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Been given a MacBook Air?

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've just been given an 11 inch MacBook Air. I'm not sure if I should keep it. Granted, I am only about to start sixth form and I'm sure it will be fine for then because I'll be living at home and I have a desktop if I have to open a CD or watch some movies. However, I will probably be leaving home to go to uni and let's say that this laptop still works then, would it be alright? I know it doesn't have a CD processor so I'd have to get an external one, but I could leave that in my home so it wouldn't be too big of a deal. I'm only worried about the size, would it be a strain for my eyes? I'd probably be word processing a lot as well as watching movies on it in my free time. Also, it's the slower processor. Is that okay?

I haven't opened it yet, because I could possibly change it if it's not something I could use so please don't tell me to try it and see.
    • 59 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by queentamora)
    I've just been given an 11 inch MacBook Air. I'm not sure if I should keep it. Granted, I am only about to start sixth form and I'm sure it will be fine for then because I'll be living at home and I have a desktop if I have to open a CD or watch some movies. However, I will probably be leaving home to go to uni and let's say that this laptop still works then, would it be alright? I know it doesn't have a CD processor so I'd have to get an external one, but I could leave that in my home so it wouldn't be too big of a deal. I'm only worried about the size, would it be a strain for my eyes? I'd probably be word processing a lot as well as watching movies on it in my free time. Also, it's the slower processor. Is that okay?

I haven't opened it yet, because I could possibly change it if it's not something I could use so please don't tell me to try it and see.
    Although it's a small size, at 1366x768 the display is of an equal resolution to most 15" laptops, meaning eye strain is less of an issue compared to the standard netbook. There's always the option of hooking it up to a larger monitor for when you're at home. Regarding the processor, if you're just going to be doing typical student fare then it should be more than powerful enough. In fact between the low power consumption of OS X and the solid state drive, odds are it might feel even quicker than your desktop [=

But if you do decide you don't want it, I'll take it ;D Enjoy!
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    It really depends on whether you can adapt to an 11" display, and thats a totally personal thing. I was tempted by it because its so portable, but went for the 13" version since I dont think I'd be able to work properly on a display that small (13" is perfect size for a laptop imo). However this is personal taste and lots of people seem to prefer the 11" version. Also you can easily connect up an external monitor without hassle, so the display size is only really an issue when youre travelling or in bed.

If you can live with the display then I'd definitely keep it because its such an amazing laptop and youll love it otherwise. But if not, then if you have the 128GB 11" model then the 13" version is only an extra £100 (£85 with student discount) so I'd be tempted to save up a bit and go for that instead.

edit: actually if someone who wasnt an academic bought the 11" then you would actually save money by returning it and buying the 13" for cheaper using the 15% discount.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by queentamora)

Ask yourself this, who gave you it? A friend? relative? someone close?
    If it's a gift, you can accept it but not to the extent of selling it off or I would assume the person would be unhappy

If not any of the above, you can sell it? Ebay? Trades shops, etc. SOmewhere you can get a good offer.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    You can buy an external 20+ inch display for next to nothing, or hook it up to a big TV for movie duty.
    For work, the MA's 11" are more than adequate.
    I reckon the small size weight makes it an awesome bit of kit - am on one right now. Got it hooked up to a big screen at my desk and have upped the SSD to 256gb. Can't beat it.
    If you get the 13", well, you might as well get a Macbook Pro - but few people need the power of one.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Bloody he'll I'll have it if you don't want it :rofl:
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brabzzz)
    You can buy an external 20+ inch display for next to nothing, or hook it up to a big TV for movie duty.
    The display is cheap, but you need to add in £20 for all the cables (including the thunderbolt->hdmi/dvi adaptor), and then the cost of a decent wireless keyboard/mouse if you want to use it for work (after using the macbook theres a good chance youll want to use an external trackpad rather than a mouse and thats £50).

I wouldnt bother with the macbook pro personally unless you really need a large internal harddrive or can afford the 15" model; the Air is more than fast enough for most things, more portable, and having the SSD makes a huge difference to basically everything (although you can put a SSD in a Pro if youre willing to pay a bit more; the Pro+SSD costs about the same as the 13" Air+external CD drive, so youre trading off portability for a big harddrive and thats personal taste).
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I would be terrified to use it. Its as thin as a credit card almost!
    • 59 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilovehobnobs)
    I would be terrified to use it. Its as thin as a credit card almost!
    It's basically machined from a single block of aluminium, they're deceptively sturdy.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: February 28, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.