Chances of Prestigous University

To all those that have been accepted at a prestigous Law Uni:

-Nottingham
-Manchester
-Durham
-Warwick
-Bristol
-Other prestigous law schools

How hard is it to actually be offered a place? At present, im doing my AS levels in English Language, Law, French and Economics, and am hopefully aiming to get AAA at A-level, and B at AS (droppin English I think). How would you rate my chances of getting a place at one of the above uni's to read Law and French (all other things aside i.e. LNAT) if I obtained those grades?? I'm starting to think even with AAA i'll get rejected :frown: Thanks for the help.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I got offers from Bristol and SOAS. I am quite confused about where to go!!
Reply 2
Well I'm no expert but I'd say go with Bristol. What A-levels did you get to get offered a place there?
Reply 3
You do stand a chance and if you put all 5 down, I would be 90% sure you would get at least one offer. You see, demand for law with a language is often a lot lower. I wouldn't be suprised if you were accepted to all 5. However, may law schools err on the side of caution with the Law a level. Perhaps you ought to consider dropping that instead of English?
Reply 4
Well in the perfect world I would take English instead. However,I generally enjoy Law more, and would be very confident of getting an A in it. On the other hand, I'm finding English hard and im not confident about getting an A in it at A-level, even though it is a 'better' A-level. So I'm unsure on that one. Also, what about doin 4 A-levels? Is that recommended?
Reply 5
Doing four a-levels doesn't really make a difference compared to three- offers wise.
Reply 6
Well in that case, I'm back to the old 'Law v English Language' at A-Level question. What dya think?
Reply 7
Hmmm, personally i would go for English. Law is a little ambiguous as a subject. Some unis such as Kent, seem to really like it, while others such as LSE and durham seem much less keen. I think it's considered to be an "easier" subject, although i'm sure it just depends upon where your strength lies. My sixth form doesn't offer it, but even if it did i wouldn't have done it.
At the end of the day though, pick the subject you're going to do better in, it's of no benefit to you to have 4 AAA offers, and then not make the grades.
Reply 8
What A-Levels and grades are you getting to have been offered a place at Nottingham to do Law?
Reply 9
You cannot simply say 'all other things aside' as this is to totally distort the situation. There are a whole range of factors to be considered. Once I read a very interesting statistic which stated precisely how many applcations to UCL had an AAA prediction or higher. This I have forgotten, but if you consider that 2,500 candidates applied to UCL in the cycle before last, then one can assume that the vast majority (perhaps 1800?) would carry the same AAA+ prediction. This means that, unless you are taking an extraordinary collection of A-levels, whatever your predicted grades, you will not be able to stand out in this respect. Therefore, considering your A-level grades alone is a senseless exercise; and no-one will be offered a place on the admissions tutors having had consideration of their A-level grades alone.

After some rummaging, I found this on the Nottingham School of Law website: http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/law/courses/ug_entry_qualifications.php

'it is estimated that the Law School received over 1200 applications for entry to the LLB degree course for the September 2005 entry from applicants who had a minimum clear forecast of AAA grades at A-level.'
Reply 10
Well ok fair enough. But by saying that I go back to my earlier question of 'How hard is it to be selected by a prestigous university, even if you acheive AAA'?? Could somebody possibly list all the factors that universities take into account, perhaps in order(in general)? i.e. 1. A-Levels, 2. LNAT etc. That would be real usefeul.
Reply 11
1. No. how are we to know?
2. I got offers from all 6 unis I applied to and chose Bristol.
3. I had AAAAA, a good LNAT score and good GCSEs.
4. If you consider how many people apply to the unis you're interested in all with AAA, of course it would be better for you to have AAAA. Then again, I expect you know that already.
5. If Law is easier as an Alevel than English, don't you think the universities know that?
6. Therefore to conclude: "Quite Hard".
Reply 12
Goodness me. What do you think Universities make of Work Experience?? Over the upcoming summer, I could have the possibilty of shadowing the head of the North West Law Society. Do you reckon this would have any effect whatsoever on my application to uni?
Reply 13
helki
Hmmm, personally i would go for English. Law is a little ambiguous as a subject. Some unis such as Kent, seem to really like it, while others such as LSE and durham seem much less keen. I think it's considered to be an "easier" subject, although i'm sure it just depends upon where your strength lies. My sixth form doesn't offer it, but even if it did i wouldn't have done it.
At the end of the day though, pick the subject you're going to do better in, it's of no benefit to you to have 4 AAA offers, and then not make the grades.
I find A-level Law to be the hardest subject I do. Although, I think that's more because of the stupidly short amount of time that you get to answer each question.
Reply 14
How are you finding English Language at A2 level? And seen as ur also doing Law A2, which one of them do you reckon I drop?
Work experience might have an effect but I don't think it would have a predictable effect. Some admissions tutors might like it, others might not care, and some might find it off-putting. Some law academics (including me) think it's a bit freaky to be spending your teenage years hanging out with lawyers.

Really, if you want to be taken seriously at the best law schools, it's only academic brilliance that counts. If you are one of the zillions with AAA predictions at A-level and squeaky clean GCSEs, a top LNAT score coupled with a brilliant LNAT essay might be your best bet.
Reply 16
! Charles Allen
What A-Levels and grades are you getting to have been offered a place at Nottingham to do Law?

I'm doing Chem, Eng lit and R.S. I did Biology AS but dropped it. The sciences are awful at A-level.:frown:
Reply 17
! Charles Allen
How are you finding English Language at A2 level? And seen as ur also doing Law A2, which one of them do you reckon I drop?
Bear in mind I could be on a completely different exam board to you. I personally find Law more interesting but I think that English is far easier to get good marks in. I got 293/300 for it whereas I 'only' got 255/300 for Law. The problem with Law (on my exam board at least) is that they try and make you write so so much in so little time.

So it's up to you whether you want...

Enjoyable but with not-very-nice exams
Not so enjoyable but with easy exams
Reply 18
:frown: eeesh..Im panicking again now. It sounds that even with AAA its highly unlikely I'll get in a prestigous uni.:frown:
Reply 19
TommehR
Bear in mind I could be on a completely different exam board to you. I personally find Law more interesting but I think that English is far easier to get good marks in. I got 293/300 for it whereas I 'only' got 255/300 for Law. The problem with Law (on my exam board at least) is that they try and make you write so so much in so little time.

So it's up to you whether you want...

Enjoyable but with not-very-nice exams
Not so enjoyable but with easy exams

Goodness me. English Language = Easy??. What exam board are you on?? I'm on AQA and found first module highly challenging.

Latest

Trending

Trending