The Student Room Group

BANK OF ENGLAND gap year scheme 2012

A few weeks ago I applied for their gap year scheme, WANT TO GET IT SO MUCH <3

I wanted to create a thread so that all those people who are applying can discuss the application process etc...

Also if there are any people who have done/ are currently doing the scheme who are willing to shed any light on anything that would be very very helpful (::angelblush::angelblush:

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Email today saying I have made it to the first stage of testing. Everyone probably gets this?

Or not? Is is a significant selection stage?
Original post by Competencies
For an interview?

Last year only 40 were invited to the interview stage (the first and final stage), so congrats if you were. Surprised you heard so early though?

Hmm, not sure, maybe?

I'm surprised, this year could be different? They say if I'm successful I'll get invited to a half-day selection centre. So maybe 40 were invited to the second stage.
Reply 3
Original post by WalkerPrince
Email today saying I have made it to the first stage of testing. Everyone probably gets this?

Or not? Is is a significant selection stage?

Yep got an email today got to first round :smile:

this is just tests ?
no need to prepare for interview questions yet ?

ALSO how can we prepare for these tests (if it is possible to) ?
(edited 12 years ago)
I have the same question (last question) ......
Reply 5
I have the same question (last question) ......

covering spelling/grammar, numerical awareness and decision making.

I can't spell ahh !

But I want to know what the 'decision making' questions are like :/
Original post by Moiraclaire

I can't spell ahh !

Spelling is the least of our worries!

I can't spell ahh !

Sorry I'm just lurking as I saw 'Bank' in the title :colondollar:

Decision Making will most likely be situational judgement questions, which if KPMG are anything to go by, will pop up in your interview too. :rolleyes:

Things like "A colleague starts openly criticising the processes you're using during a meeting with a client, what do you do?". It's more being calm, concise and reacting accordingly than right and wrong. :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by HeyyImRyan
Sorry I'm just lurking as I saw 'Bank' in the title :colondollar:

Decision Making will most likely be situational judgement questions, which if KPMG are anything to go by, will pop up in your interview too. :rolleyes:

Things like "A colleague starts openly criticising the processes you're using during a meeting with a client, what do you do?". It's more being calm, concise and reacting accordingly than right and wrong. :smile:

oh those things,
they seem a lot easier than they are a lot of the time :L

Oh well. Shouldn't be too hard.
Reply 9
Spelling is the least of our worries!

so there are definitiely no interview questions on the first round ?!
so there are definitiely no interview questions on the first round ?!

I don't think there will be. Maybe though, it does keep saying 'book an interview'.
so people have already heard back for the first round? does this mean i will get rejected or are they still inviting people to take the tests?
Reply 12
Original post by SeventyEight
so people have already heard back for the first round? does this mean i will get rejected or are they still inviting people to take the tests?

weird ! no idea haha

sure the email didn't go into your junk ? :/

probably means nothing, loads of applications to go through, may go through them in alphabetical order or something equally random (:
Deleted the last post, not really sure I understand the backlash but there must be a reason.
Reply 14
Original post by SeventyEight

I haven't heard either yet, guess we'll just have to wait and see.
It was the most awkward thing in the world yesterday.
Reply 16

indeed !

Also - like 3 females and 30 males I swear hahaha !

tests were so easy? just the timing, I only finished the spelling and grammar one (N)

Really hope my results suffice.
(edited 12 years ago)
indeed !

tests were so easy? just the timing, I only finished the spelling and grammar one (N)

Yeah, there weren't too hard at all. I got timing all wrong, shame. Not too hopeful at all, when do you think we'll hear?
Reply 18

Why?

indeed !

Were there that many people there? :frown: Maybe they aren't doing any more assessment centres, I wonder why they haven't sent out rejections yet if that is the case. Was everyone there for the gap year scheme?
Reply 19
Original post by Tateco
Why?

Were there that many people there? :frown: Maybe they aren't doing any more assessment centres, I wonder why they haven't sent out rejections yet if that is the case. Was everyone there for the gap year scheme?

we had a choice of 4 different time slots on that day. Don't know how many people went to each, I'm guessing few went to the 9:30 AM one, but no idea !

I remember you Tateco ! I really doubt that they would reject you ahaha so I'm sure there must be more rounds (:

Yeah, there weren't too hard at all. I got timing all wrong, shame. Not too hopeful at all, when do you think we'll hear?

Glad it's not just me, hopefully the pass mark will be fairly low then !
I don't know but seeing as they replied to our applications in 2 days, they're probably not that slow (:
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest