Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Unpopular Books Opinions

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Didn't like Jane Eyre or Little Women. Is it weird that I'd say I'm a bit of a feminist yet I find these feminist texts rubbish? I'm not quite sure why. It was a long time ago that I read either of them and I just remember not liking them. Maybe my opinion would be different if I reread now :dontknow:
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aspirinpharmacist)
    You sound like my sister. :lol:
    She sounds like a wonderfully intelligent person.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    For English Lit AS Level we studied Jane Eyre and had to compare it to Wide Sargasso Sea. Contrary to most of my fellow pupils' opinions, I loved Jane Eyre and could not stand WSS.
    • 56 followers

ReputationRep:
    I loved Jane Eyre, read it all in one sitting. Why does everyone here hate it? :cry2:

funny how Villette is basically the same story though :teehee:
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Non-fiction books don't make you a nerd, nor are they boring. Unpopular opinion to most of my school-peers...

Twilight is crap.
    The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo was boring.
    The Dan Brown ones weren't much good either.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by medbh4805)
    I loved Jane Eyre, read it all in one sitting. Why does everyone here hate it? :cry2:

:eek: How did you manage to read it in one sitting?
    I found it really interesting at the beginning but then it sort of dragged on until she met Mr. Rochester. It was good until Mrs. Ingram left and then it dragged on again until she went to Whitcross - I couldn't put it down after that.

But in one sitting? Really? :eek:
    • 56 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abc1234x)
    :eek: How did you manage to read it in one sitting?
    I found it really interesting at the beginning but then it sort of dragged on until she met Mr. Rochester. It was good until Mrs. Ingram left and then it dragged on again until she went to Whitcross - I couldn't put it down after that.

But in one sitting? Really? :eek:
    During the summer a few years ago, didn't have anything to do, spent about 8 hours reading it lol. I read Villette the next day.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wannabeme)
    Not disagreeing just wondering, have you ever read the books or are you just basing that on the film?
    I read the start of the first one before I gave up. Also watched a few of these videos, which were pretty funny: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2L253VLwH3w
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I loved Jacqueline Wilson as a child, but after you get to around 11/12 you realise how banal her writing style is and every story-line seems oddly recycled. Brilliant for kids though.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by medbh4805)

I love Jane Eyre and have read it few times.
    • 56 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dante's Inferno)
    I love Jane Eyre and have read it few times.
    Excellent. I also think Dante is fantastic
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Kite Runner is not as good as people make out to be. In fact it's terribly written and far too melodramatic.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    i think vampyre bookzzz r the best bite me yeh whire lolzz deyre magical and glitter yum Stoopid butt ho stepehnie meyer izz a prosi lol hate her
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWorldEndsWithMe)
    The Dan Brown ones weren't much good either.
    Wait, are there people who genuinely like Dan Brown? That has to be some of the most atrocious writing known to man. The plots are fundamentally ridiculous, the characters limp along as flat, wishful cutouts of real people, and the prose is hackneyed and sloppy.

I dream of dueling with this man. He can have a copy of Angels and Demons and I'll bring Under Milk Wood or Catch-22 or maybe Bleak House (because it's nice and thick) and then we'll beat each other with our books of choice until one of us (him) lies slumped in a puddle of teeth and shame.

Honestly, I'm not really a violent person. I just really, really hate Dan Brown.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Deh hnger gamez is amzun!!!
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teamnoether)
    Wait, are there people who genuinely like Dan Brown? That has to be some of the most atrocious writing known to man. The plots are fundamentally ridiculous, the characters limp along as flat, wishful cutouts of real people, and the prose is hackneyed and sloppy.

I dream of dueling with this man. He can have a copy of Angels and Demons and I'll bring Under Milk Wood or Catch-22 or maybe Bleak House (because it's nice and thick) and then we'll beat each other with our books of choice until one of us (him) lies slumped in a puddle of teeth and shame.

Honestly, I'm not really a violent person. I just really, really hate Dan Brown.
    Yeah, I know right? My mum loved them. And a fair few of my teachers really enjoyed them too. I just couldn't get into them at all...
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I thought 'Princess Diaries' were terrible, I can't believe she brought out so many.

And I couldn't get through Dracula or Frankenstein when I tried reading them.
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JCC-MGS)
    Bruv I've read it a few times just to be sure when I read it that it's crap and it's now scientifically proven, Lord of the Flies is crap
    don't say that! :O
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ra Ra Ra)
    Harry Potter has a good storyline but is poorly written.
    If that, the Harry Potter books are THE most awfully told, dull books I have ever come across.

Book 1: Harry finds, and defeats the dark lord.
    Book 2: Harry finds, and defeats the dark lord.
    Book 3: Harry finds... his godfather.
    Book 4: Harry finds, and defeats the dark lord.
    Book 5: Harry finds, and defeats the dark lord.
    Book 6: Harry finds, and defeats part of the dark lord.
    Book 7: Harry finds, and kills the dark lord.

Apart from the 3rd, every single book has the same general storyline, there is no originality whatsoever.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    The Catcher in the Rye is CRAP.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 12, 2013
New on TSR

Find out what year 11 is like

Going into year 11? Students who did it last year share what to expect.

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered books, literature & poetry threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.