Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Unpopular Books Opinions

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JCC-MGS)
    I've got a few, the Lord of the Rings is crap, Wuthering Heights is crap, Lord of the Flies is proper crap, Ulysses being your favourite book doesn't make you sound smart it makes you sound thick cause you're obviously lying cause Ulysses is crap.
    totally agree on lord of the flies - read it at the airport years ago, what a bland book
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by medbh4805)
    I loved Jane Eyre, read it all in one sitting. Why does everyone here hate it? :cry2:

funny how Villette is basically the same story though :teehee:
    I can't believe you just said that - Jane Eyre is a big pile of absolutely unadulterated ****e! It's awful. So bloody awful. It is abysmal. The only time anything related to it has moved me is when, in the film, Jane discovers that St. John is related to her and she is ecstatic. That is seriously it. I wasn't even that moved. I went back to laughing at her and all of it soon afterwards. And if you like feminist claptrap, go and read The Color Purple. Or I could just sum it up for you: some men are truly awful. But I'm Alice Walker so I'm going to portray all men as awful, especially black men. And women are faultless in every way. And I like vaginas but I'm a bit shy about saying it. The end. The Color Purple used to infuriate me, but now I am numb with anger when I read it.

Needless to say, we are studying both of these pieces of **** in school.

PS: one of the books I ordered is called War by Seb Junger, and as I happened to have time to kill today I wandered into Waterstones and read a bit - the first few pages were about an American patrol which managed to take 100% casualties in an ambush, for the first time since Vietnam. It's definitely going to hold my attention!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    A lot of my opinions seem to have been expressed already, so I won't bother repeating any, hehe.

(Original post by Peli-Pelican)
    I don't like Jane Eyre, Pride and Prejudice, Twilight (any of them) or Jodi Picoult and I grew out of Harry Potter when I was 12. And I love Diana Wynne Jones (and nobody else seems to have heard of her). Sotherener xD
    I know who she is! Howl's Moving Castle. Adore it!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by motunrolarulz)
    I know who she is! Howl's Moving Castle. Adore it!
    I really want to read that one but I can't find it anywhere! I love the Chrestomanci series though, there are very few children's books that can still be enjoyed by adults but she got it
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I really want to read that one but I can't find it anywhere! I love the Chrestomanci series though, there are very few children's books that can still be enjoyed by adults but she got it
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Howls-Moving...9954756&sr=8-2

I haven't read those yet. I was going to, over the summer, then it got pushed to Christmas, then half-term ... and I still haven't read them. Darn school work :unimpressed:
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by medbh4805)
    nevertheless I think Lolita is very overrated, as is The Catcher in the Rye
    Catcher in the Rye is amongst the top 10 novels ever written. Lolita is pretty good as well.

Oscar Wilde isn't nearly as witty as he thought he was.

Hank Moody is an outstanding author.

The Great Gatsby is ****e.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Newky)
    I see Fiction in general as utterly pointless.

The amount of time you spend reading Harry Potter, captain ****ing underpants or some other ****e you could have read a book on Quantum Mechanics or economic theory.

If everyone traded in all of their fiction books for non-fiction ones, the world would be such a better, more intelligent place.

Pretty sure that's an unpopular opinion.
    5 negs? Read the thread title - "Unpopular Books Opinions"

Note that it doesn't say "Popular".
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Newky)

The amount of time you spend reading Harry Potter, captain ****ing underpants or some other ****e you could have read a book on Quantum Mechanics or economic theory.

If everyone traded in all of their fiction books for non-fiction ones, the world would be such a better, more intelligent place.

So you don't watch fictional films and tv shows?
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    Didn't like The Hobbit/Lord of the Rings/Wuthering Heights.

The Da Vinchi Code is, however, one of my favourite books :getmecoat:
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    A Song Of Ice And Fire are not good fantasy books. Poorly written dialogue and tediously waffling prose, compounded by the same old cliche'd character types. I suppose it has a few things to recommend - while they are walking cliches, once you get past the bad dialogue they're at least well constructed cliche, and at least the main characters don't have plot armour, but even so, a well-constructed bore is still a bore.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by motunrolarulz)
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Howls-Moving...9954756&sr=8-2

I haven't read those yet. I was going to, over the summer, then it got pushed to Christmas, then half-term ... and I still haven't read them. Darn school work :unimpressed:
    Oh brilliant *adds to wishlist* I'll get that when I next have spare moneys, blasted appprentice wages :unimpressed:

They're very very good, I particularly like the magicians of caprona
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't like Jane Eyre, Pride and Prejudice, Twilight (any of them) or Jodi Picoult andI l I grew out of Harry Potter when I was 12. And I love Diana Wynne Jones (and nobody else seems to have heard of her). Sotherener xD
    I love DWJ too. I'm reading 'Witch Week' atm
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I forgot about that series!!! My nan used to buy them for me everytime I came over - they're still on my bookshelf somewhere...I'm gonna re-read them now, though Thank you for reminding me!

On another note, I thought of some more unpopular book opinions:

-The Time Traveller's Wife has flatter characters than Twilight. Awesome idea for a story, though.

-Ernest Hemingway should have stuck to short stories and short stories only.

-I don't know why, but I have never been able to get past Chapter Three of an E.M. Forster novel. I guess I just don't like them that much

-Wuthering Heights is better than Jane Eyre. And Anne Bronte deserves far more recognition than she currently receives.

-I've never liked Jane Austen's novels. They're all too same-y. 'Girl meets boy, initially find themselves at odds with each other, irritating family come and stir things up a bit, there's a bit of a misunderstanding, both parties acknowledge the error of their ways, get married THE END'.

Oh, and regarding Austen, Brandon should have got together with Elinor. That is all.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think Dickens is overrated - some of his plots are pretty good, but his characterisation is poor, especially when it comes to female characters. Pretty much every woman in the seven Dickens novels I've read is either a doll or a witch, and it gets tedious after a while.

Not very controversial, but I think Ulysses is pretentious. Yes, it's clever, but still pretentious.

I think The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Bronte and Villette and Shirley by Charlotte Bronte are underrated.

The 'peace' sections of War and Peace are much more engaging than the 'war' sections.

I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith is one of my favourite young adult books, but I know very few other people who have read it.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Newky)

Interesting idea, but I disagree. I think you need fiction to appreciate non-fiction - not necessarily Captain Underpants (fine for children though), but things like Moby Dick teach us a lot about ourselves and humanity. Non-fiction is pointless if you don't have the inspiration and imagination to pursue it. Besides, it's a better form of relaxation than computer games, and people need to relax.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Non-fiction books can actually be really interesting.
    The film of Let The Right One In is better than the book.
    The Sabriel/Lirael/Abhorsen series by Garth Nix is way better than Harry Potter.
    American Psycho is actually rubbish.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The Horrid Henry books were masterpieces.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunshine showers)
    the horrid henry books were masterpieces.
    Damn straight!
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pi!)
    Non-fiction books can actually be really interesting.
    The film of Let The Right One In is better than the book.
    The Sabriel/Lirael/Abhorsen series by Garth Nix is way better than Harry Potter.
    American Psycho is actually rubbish.
    Hell, yes. Sabriel over Hermione any day. This thread's reminding me about books that I haven't read in years...and books to insult, too
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inconceivable)
    I love DWJ too. I'm reading 'Witch Week' atm
    Love that one! It's got a satisfying ending too (so many books haven't)

(Original post by Ra Ra Ra)
    I forgot about that series!!! My nan used to buy them for me everytime I came over - they're still on my bookshelf somewhere...I'm gonna re-read them now, though Thank you for reminding me!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 12, 2013
New on TSR

A-level results day

Is it about making your parents proud?

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered books, literature & poetry threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.