Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

vista wont connect to strongest network

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    bacically i now have 2 wireless networks in my house one from my home hub but have a black spot so got a deverlo thing you plug one end into the hh that plugs into the wall socket (powerline ethernet) the reciver has a wifi radio inside which braudcasts wifi into my black spot the deverlo thing is a completerly differant connection settings

bacically while in the bath i like to watch a program normally on the i player the bathroom is next to the computer room (with hh) so i get full signal the deverlo wifi radio is in my bedroom cos im selfish and want the best possible plus give perfect covorage to the blackspot anyway

what the old xp laptop does is connect to deverlo when in my room and to hh when neer to that mine even when in computer room is still connected to deverlo

in short is there anything i can do

many thanks
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Do both wireless signals have the same name (SSID) ?

If yes I dont think there's much you can do in the laptop settings.

One thing that night work would be to turn the power down on the deverlo so it's less likely to be seen by the laptop.

The other thing that would work is to give each wireless device different names (SSIDs) as you can then prioritise the wireless networks. There should also be an option along the lines of "connect to prefered network when available"
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    differant ssids bt-wifibox-1 and 2
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aaaagggg1525)
    differant ssids bt-wifibox-1 and 2
    In that case make sure the one you prefer is top of the list. And if there's an option along the lines of "connect to the prefered network when possible" make sure thats enabled (i cant remember which versions of windows have that option, where it is or the exact wording but you should get the idea)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    nope

set roaming to agressive and roaming decition to optimize bandwith instead of distance also card is set to max weather on battery or not

hope this helps

ps i prefure hh (bt1) if in bath but deverlo wifi thing (bt2) if in room/where used to be blackspot (even if in here is still connected to the verry bad hh connection unless i manually connect to deverlo

thanks
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Only other option I can really think of is to turn the power down on the deverlo (and maybe the hh) so the signal doesn't go so far.

Other than that I'm not sure if there's much you can do at least not automatically (you shoud be able to manually disconnect and connect to the one you want). The sort of thing does exist in some of the enterprise wireless systems but they get expensive and can only really do that because there's a central box that controls all ap's and can work out where the clients are.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    how would i go about turning the power down

yh i can do it manually alright just the sort of thing most people would want done automatically

thanks
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    the power setting should be somewhere in the wireless points settings.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    nope sorry as far as i know i clicked every link in those settings on both machines and nope not there

looks like iil have to do it the harder way thanks anyway

ps anyone else have any ideas

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: February 24, 2012
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.