The Student Room Group

Revising for maths gcse but i don't know where to start

Scroll to see replies

Go through your notes, make sure you understand the basics (by re-doing questions that you've already done to check you still know the method etc), have a look at some CGP revision guides for a rough outline of what you need to know. Then blitz the past papers - do all of the ones you can get your hands on. The same questions come up year after year (just with slightly different numbers, but the method is the same) and if you can crack the past papers, you're on track to getting an A*.
It's GCSE maths. You really don't need to worry. :smile:
I suppose you have to make sure you're familiar with the topics though...for example I was quite worried about stats because I sucked at it, so I made notes on the vocab. That worked. :biggrin:
Reply 22
Thanks everybody for all the responses you've all been very helpful
Reply 23
Original post by diggy
Thanks everybody for all the responses you've all been very helpful

Did you print the papers?
Reply 24
Original post by Eternal*
Did you print the papers?

No i've printed way too many science papers lol, i'll just do the questions in a scrap book and when I think im up to standard Ill start printing
Reply 25
Original post by diggy
No i've printed way too many science papers lol, i'll just do the questions in a scrap book and when I think im up to standard Ill start printing

Its not the same doing it off the screen, you wont get that same experience.
Reply 26
Its not the same doing it off the screen, you wont get that same experience.

that's true i'll probably print it off btw what did you get in maths GCSE ?
Reply 27
Original post by diggy
that's true i'll probably print it off btw what did you get in maths GCSE ?

I got an A, i was jus off an A* :frown:
But it doesnt matter too much now, atm im doin A2 maths
AS I got a B, it is f'in hard... But i love it, predicted another A* but we'll see how it goes
Reply 28
I got an A, i was jus off an A* :frown:
But it doesnt matter too much now, atm im doin A2 maths
AS I got a B, it is f'in hard... But i love it, predicted another A* but we'll see how it goes

Lucky guy i'm predicted a D at GCSE all my other grades are good apart from maths
Reply 29
Original post by diggy
Lucky guy i'm predicted a D at GCSE all my other grades are good apart from maths

Well then you need to work hard and prove them wrong. You still have a good couple months, start now.
As my dad likes to constantly remind me: Practice + Confidence = Success
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 30
1 + 1 = 2. There's a start, you take it from here!
Reply 31
Well then you need to work hard and prove them wrong. You still have a good couple months, start now.
As my dad likes to constantly remind me: Practice + Confidence = Success

thanks good luck with your a levels
shi*ting on the floor is usually where I start.
Reply 33
Original post by saggy8
1 + 1 = 2. There's a start, you take it from here!

It suddenly all makes sense now. A with objects X, Y, Z and morphisms f, g, g f, and three identity morphisms 1X, 1Y and 1Z = 3x, XZ + Y

thanks man your a life saver :tongue:
Original post by diggy
I guess i'm doing okay but at a loss because i don't know what to revise (are past papers helpful)

1) Start with the hardest topics (A, A* topics) , the one's you are weak at because if you run out of time, at least you've done the ones that will probably have the most marks. I know it sounds horrible doing the hard ones first but it's for your own good :P

2) Revise all the formulas and such needed as sometimes, you won't get the formula. Practice questions that require those formulae

3) Start practice papers. Do 1 everyday. Go over one's you got wrong. Work out why you got them wrong. Put that paper away.

4) Do another paper, go over questions you got wrong, and work out why.

5) Pull out the previous paper you did before and do it again, if improved, well done, do the one you just did before that! PHEW. That looks complicated xD

Just carry on like that. Remember to go to sleep with a couple of notes and read them before you go to bed. Revise little everyday and it'll stay with you in the long run :biggrin:
Reply 35
Original post by diggy
thanks good luck with your a levels

Thank you bubz.
If you need anything or any help PM me x

Quick Reply

Latest