The Student Room Group

Tap water or boiled kettle water for pasta, rice, etc...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JOR2010
I'm Italian, always put the water straight into the pan, wait for it to boil, add salt, wait again, then add pasta!

"just like mamma used to make"
Reply 21
Original post by miser
I always use the kettle, but my pasta recipe book's guidelines are to fill with water, bring to the boil and then put pasta in.

I would suggest that you do this

Spoiler

and then add your pasta once its boiling
Reply 22
Original post by Eternal*
Try putting tea-bags in your kettle, lemme know if it works...

I don't know If I'm being thick but all I can see happening is putting the teabag in, and then it all boils and then pouring out lovely tea. It's not like it's going to catch fire or anything.
Original post by Norton1
I don't know If I'm being thick but all I can see happening is putting the teabag in, and then it all boils and then pouring out lovely tea. It's not like it's going to catch fire or anything.

The kettle grill will become tea flavoured
Reply 24
Original post by Norton1

Ive always had a secret desire to try it.

Original post by brushless-man
The kettle grill will become tea flavoured

Oh.
Hopes and dreams come crashing down :cry2:
Reply 25
Original post by Claire_Spoon
Someone in our halls last year tried to poach an egg in the kettle.

It took me forever to clean out all the scraggy bits of egg, and my tea tasted rancid for about a week. :unimpressed:

But if you just put in a teabag then all your tea would taste of lovely tea! It is GENIUS!
Reply 26
Original post by Rescue Remedy
I always boil the kettle ... it just saves time heating the water up and i think it cooks quicker ( plus its handy when you are trying to do 4 or 5 things at once )

but if there is hot tap water i will use that instead .. its not often though

This is what I do :smile: can get a pan of fiercely boiling water in 2 minutes
Reply 27
Original post by ak137
Allow chawal sis.

Roti shoti all the way :awesome:

Spoiler

Lol ur 2 fresh.
Tap water.

Our kettle takes forever so there's no point really :P
Reply 29
Original post by Wave
Lol ur 2 fresh.

Me in a nutshell :awesome:
Reply 30
Original post by ak137
Allow chawal sis.

Roti shoti all the way :awesome:

Spoiler

haha
Reply 31
Original post by Claire_Spoon
Someone in our halls last year tried to poach an egg in the kettle.

It took me forever to clean out all the scraggy bits of egg, and my tea tasted rancid for about a week. :unimpressed:

wow that is immense stupidity
Depends what it is sometimes, most times I will use kettle to boil the water first then pour it over the pasta or rice or potatoes in the pan, not sure how much time it actually saves to be honest think it does quicken up the cooking
I just always used the kettle, except for rice. My mummy always said cold water brought to the boil for rice and boiled eggs. :dontknow:
At home, I'd use tap water but at university I'd use a kettle. The cookers just take far too long to heat up
Reply 35
This is a VERY random thread! haha

But, I use the kettle and just pour it in because I know exactly how long it takes to make the rice or pasta perfect :tongue:
Original post by thegodofgod
Kettle - a lot quicker, but apparently more expensive too :erm: :colondollar:

Well, I'd say it depends. If you have a gas cooker, then fair enough it'll be a lot more expensive, but if you have an electric cooker, it might actually save money by spending less time to cook, but it might also cost just a bit more

Gas is normally around 3p/kWh wheras electricity is around 13p/kWh.

I'd love it if we had a gas cooker at our new house, but because it's university approved etc... it has to be electric (at a premium cost to us :angry:)
Reply 37
boil kettle, fill pot, add salt, wait for it to come back to the boil.

so a bit of both!

with access to a decent gas hob i will sometimes start the pan of water cold.
I use tap water... I've never even thought to use the Kettle
Original post by Eternal*
I was talking to my friends today and they said that when they boil pasta, rice, egg, they always fill the pot/pan with tap water.

I found that odd because I always boil the water in the kettle to save time and then pour it in...

What about you all?

I turn the hob on for a few minutes to heat up, and boil the kettle.

Much quicker I think as hob is up to temperature and its purely cooking time.

Quick Reply

Latest